Pacific Jewel J008N - Tasmanian Treasures

Skyrules

We got back today from the Pacific Jewel Tasmanian Treasures cruise. It was a "surprise cruise" as we booked on the cruise to travel with my parents and with Martin's mother & some friends of hers without telling them. We'd been hoping to surprise them once we were all onboard - but unfortunately Dad rang me at work while they were waiting to board and they told him I wasn't at work because I was on a cruise!! So the game was up and we had to fess up and we met up with them an boarded together.

We're back home in Brisbane after a long day travelling. We had a late flight booked, at 4pm, and it was an hour late (lots of air traffic delays in Sydney today). Disembarkation was a breeze - no Customs, no quarantine, straight off the ship and out the door. We were the last disembarkation group and we were off the ship at 9.30.

We had a wonderful time and totally enjoyed our maiden Pacific Jewel cruise - and we tried not to compare Pacific Jewel and Pacific Dawn too much, but it was a struggle!

The cruise itself was quite strange - all Australian Ports, 75% of passengers over the age of 60, only 75 kids ranging in age from 12 months to "almost" 18; nearly everytime we saw the 17yo he was complaining that he couldn't buy a drink.

More later

Kym

I know it's hard not to compare ships (especially ones that are so closely "realated") but which ship did you like best? Dawn or Jewel?

Ohhh, it's actually a hard call - but it's got to be Pacific Dawn, and it's because Pacific Jewel doesn't have The Dome, but not for the reason that most people miss The Dome.

We missed The Dome because it meant there was nowhere quiet to go during the day. There was always somehting happening in Connexions, The Casbah or the Atrium, and everytime we went to The Attic during the day it was "closed for a Private Function").

But that aside, each ship has it's own pro's and con's. Until Pacific Dawn gets La Luna & Salt Grill, that's a big advantage for Pacific Jewel. And the Waterfront Restaurant on Pacific Jewel is fantastic.

For Pacific Dawn - the pro's are it doesn't have the circus acts and does have The Dome.

Ohhh, it's actually a hard call - but it's got to be Pacific Dawn, and it's because Pacific Jewel doesn't have The Dome, but not for the reason that most people miss The Dome.

We missed The Dome because it meant there was nowhere quiet to go during the day. There was always somehting happening in Connexions, The Casbah or the Atrium, and everytime we went to The Attic during the day it was "closed for a Private Function").

But that aside, each ship has it's own pro's and con's. Until Pacific Dawn gets La Luna & Salt Grill, that's a big advantage for Pacific Jewel. And the Waterfront Restaurant on Pacific Jewel is fantastic.

For Pacific Dawn - the pro's are it doesn't have the circus acts and does have The Dome.

I must say that when we did the tour & lunch on the Jewel, I was impressed and to me, the only downside (from Pacific Dawn) was the lack of The Dome. We didn't use it as a night club as we're not into that, but, like you thought it was somewhere nice to go during the day.

I must say that when we did the tour & lunch on the Jewel, I was impressed and to me, the only downside (from Pacific Dawn) was the lack of The Dome. We didn't use it as a night club as we're not into that, but, like you thought it was somewhere nice to go during the day.

Hi karen,

when its time for just you and hubby to cruise without the kids you really should try a different line.....you will be pleasantly surprises......cheaper and really nice modern ships.

Cheers

Col:)

Archived