Proximity to Elevators!

Huddler

I often read on here how thrilled folks are to get a cabin very close to the elevators as if that is a prize location. Personally, I want to be as far away from the elevators as possible. First, I eat and drink alot more than I should while on a cruise, so I can definitely use all the exercise that I can get. That necessary walk several times per day down a long hallway to or from my cabin just gives me that much more of a chance to burn off some calories. Secondly, I dont want to be in a place where folks are walking past my room constantly. I would prefer to be back in a quit corner that few people need to pass in order to access their cabins. So, for me, as far away from the elevators as possible makes the most sense. Is anybody with me?

I often read on here how thrilled folks are to get a cabin very close to the elevators as if that is a prize location. Personally, I want to be as far away from the elevators as possible. First, I eat and drink alot more than I should while on a cruise, so I can definitely use all the exercise that I can get. That necessary walk several times per day down a long hallway to or from my cabin just gives me that much more of a chance to burn off some calories. Secondly, I dont want to be in a place where folks are walking past my room constantly. I would prefer to be back in a quit corner that few people need to pass in order to access their cabins. So, for me, as far away from the elevators as possible makes the most sense. Is anybody with me?

100%! Unless you’re handicapped or have issues everyone should be ok with walking. People in Europe seem to walk a lot more than here.

An orthopedic surgeon friend of mine said his "hip replacement" business would go out-of-business if people would lose 20 pounds and walk more. He stated a majority of them are for moderately overweight people who don’t walk enough, a small percentage have truly bad conditions they were born with or got via injury.

I'm fine with the notion of having to walk. Too many people already crowd the elvators to go up or down a deck -- to more quickly access the dining rooms.. :D

But as for noise, I'm one of those handicapped people who end up in cabins near the elevators...and other than an occasional "ding", usually noticed during the day...I've never been bothered by excessive noise. Or any noise, for that matter.

I'm fine with the notion of having to walk. Too many people already crowd the elvators to go up or down a deck -- to more quickly access the dining rooms.. :D

But as for noise, I'm one of those handicapped people who end up in cabins near the elevators...and other than an occasional "ding", usually noticed during the day...I've never been bothered by excessive noise. Or any noise, for that matter.

That reminds me of another issue: I try NOT to use the elevators at all during a cruise. I try to take the stairs as much as possible. Again, its not much, but its at least SOME exercise in an otherwise feeding and drinking frenzy! I'll leave the elevators for those folks who like to wait in line and arent interested or simply arent able to get a nice bit of exercise going up and down the stairs!

That reminds me of another issue: I try NOT to use the elevators at all during a cruise. I try to take the stairs as much as possible. Again, its not much, but its at least SOME exercise in an otherwise feeding and drinking frenzy! I'll leave the elevators for those folks who like to wait in line and arent interested or simply arent able to get a nice bit of exercise going up and down the stairs!

On all the ships I have been on the stairs are next to the elevators, and walking on a straight corridor is not going to give yiu much exercise.

Now as regards the Solstice class ships the main elevators are seperated from the cabin corridors by automatic doors, so you don't even get the "ping" noise, and there is a door at either end of the elevator bank, so if you want to limit folk walking past your cabin then pick one between these doors.

On all the ships I have been on the stairs are next to the elevators, and walking on a straight corridor is not going to give yiu much exercise.

Now as regards the Solstice class ships the main elevators are seperated from the cabin corridors by automatic doors, so you don't even get the "ping" noise, and there is a door at either end of the elevator bank, so if you want to limit folk walking past your cabin then pick one between these doors.

I agree. On the few ships I have been on we have been directly behind the elevators a number of times and have had very little noise. This is because of the way the ships have been laid out. Most people come off the elevator and then go either right or left to go towards their cabin and never use the small stretch of hallway directly behind the elevators. I would not want to be in a cabin that was just outside of this hallway as they will see increased foot traffic. I enjoy being behind the mid ship elevators/stairs it makes a large ship much easier to navigate. You are never very far away from your cabin. I tend to use the stairs most of the time and I think that that provides more calorie burn than long walks down flat hallways. But in the end anywhere on the ship is better than not on the ship.

Ken

We were next to the elevator alcove on the Equinox "hump". I was expecting noise but we didn't experience any noise from people going into the elevator alcove on the Equinox. Most noise came from rooms adjacent/above us. We found by introducing ourselves to those adjacent/overhead guests and telling them we could hear their private or intimate discussions at night, the noise abated.

Archived