How rough was Victory?

stan wood

We returned from the Victory on January 16 and experienced some choppy seas throughout our cruise. Since it was my first, could someone with more experience tell me if that was a typical cruise as far as the "bounce". While it didn't bother me a whole lot, I assumed a ship that size would be smoother. I heard some people got sick.

Also, does anyone have any idea what we encountered around 3:30 am the final day approaching Miami? Those swells were quite large and I'm just curious what happened. Thanx

hi Stan

This is Lisa I personally only found the seas rought the first 2 days. Although I was not Sick I was somewhat nausea those 2 days without being able to see the horizon from the overcast and the few showers... ( doesn't sound so good so far does it LOL )

On the Monday night our server Bernita said the seas are always like that. She said only once did they have to remove the stemware form the table.

Now as far as the trip back into Miami, my husband set the alarm to go up and out to watch us approach Miami and he said the water was not rough. But he did think it was possibly because the stablizers were brought back in ?

Who knows for sure.....

It wil be interesting to hear the thoughts on this...

Thanks for bringing it up

I wish we had met, Lisa. I have really enjoyed reading your postings.

The swell we encountered reminded me of being anchored in a smaller vessel and then having a larger vessel going by. I thought it was temporary because I fell back to sleep but my wife said it went on for quite a while-maybe she was dreaming.

Anyhow, I was just curious if this was a normal cruise or if we had the opportunity to experience a little "extra". Thanks for your help.

I cruised on the Victory at Christmas (W. Carib.) and had nothing but smooth seas the whole time. I cruised the Triumph (E. Carib.) last year at the same time when the seas were extremely choppy for the first day and a half. I think it just depends on the weather.

Hi Stan

No I don't think your wife was dreaming... It even woke my daughter 3 times, it went on until just about the time we docked...

I too wish we had met. I read soem of the post on here and feel so bad for some of the people asking wquestions. Some posters are so rude. LOL

But not you and me... LOL

Maybe we will meet on another cruise....

Lisa

HI

We sailed Jan 9th from Miami at sea for basically 48 hours, we arrived in San Juan on Tuesday and then sailed at night to St. Maarten, again sailed the night to St. Thomas and then the sea was tollarable on our 2 day return.

It was rough... I must say..

Have you sailed the Victory ?

Lisa

I sailed on the Star Princess that same week and same route. We also experienced some pretty rough seas those first few days. It wasn't that bad later in the week but I still felt quite a bit of motion. I do suffer from motion sickness but have had it under control with medication until this trip. My first cruise was during a hurricane in 2001 and I swore I would never cruise again. I did go on four more with no problem until this one.

Yes, I will cruise again even though I swore I wouldn't during this last one..

The part I was curious about was a couple hours from Miami on the return trip. It wasn't a bouncing like we experienced on the way out but more like big ocean swells. It was such a surprise because it was quite calm when we went to bed and it seems like it just appeared all at once. I know we both woke up at the same time.

By the way Lisa, my name is Duane. I use stan wood as a name because that's the town I'm from and when it comes time to choosing names, I've never had anyone else already choose it. As always, thanks for the info.

Hi again Duane and Lisa, We also noticed the rather sudden change in motion as we approached Miami on that trip...I was almost dumped out of bed by motion some time around 4am..I actually got out of bed then and went out on the Balcony to see what was causing it, but the seas were actually pretty calm compared to what we had the previous days. Could it be possible that we pased by another large ship and were hitting it's wake? Paul

We just got of the Triumph on 1/22 (E. Carribean) and the seas were extremely choppy. I have been on several cruises and have not experienced movement like this before. Once we got to San Juan, it was better, but getting there was tough. My daughter got sick twice. Didn't ruin the cruise though.

I am so glad we were'nt dreaming !!!

Paul you are right the sea was calm.. We will always wonder...

Duane so sorry to have been calling you Stan...

I guess I should have read the location you are from !!!

Duh...

Lisa

I think the seas are rougher during the months of December,January and Febuary this maybe because of the jet stream dipping further south than other times of the year. I usually cruise in March or the last week of October( had some of best weather) and the seas are smooth for the most part. Years ago I cruised the W. Carribean and the seas were choppy.

Gary

Now I'm thoroughly confused. I know I woke up due to large swells which I thought could have been caused by another big ship. Paul, you say you checked and the seas were calm (like when we went to bed). Yet Lisa and my wife say the swells went on for some time. How could we have calm seas and yet the gals say the swells continued? I sure wish I had gone to my balcony to check. Or were we all exhausted from a week and sea and we don't know what happened? I 'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that we ( I mean you) were running the ship out of booze. Good talking to you.

Duane

I was just reading all the entries...and I have to agree with Duane's wife. I woke up around 2:30 am and the boat was really tossing...it continued on for a long time...well into the early morning hours. We were on the very back of the boat and I was a little apprehensive about getting up to look off the balcony. Our balcony was directly off the back end so when the boat was rocky side to side, we were rocking head to toe because the direction of our beds. Then it would pitch up and then dip down like the stern had come completely out of the water. When I looked out the door, though it was too dark to see anything. I would love to know what was going on...it was quite the talk in my group on our way home.

Anyway, we had a great time, not too sure we want to cruise again. We hated having to be on such a schedule and I hated not being able to spend more time in port. We knew that was going to be the case when we went, but didn't realize how much it would bug us to have all that history at our fingertips and not be able to see it all. San Juan was pure torture...lol. We saw the town, but the churches and forts were all closed for the evening. Wish we could find a cruise line that stayed in port longer than just a few hours. Any suggestions?

We returned from the Victory on January 16 and experienced some choppy seas throughout our cruise. Since it was my first, could someone with more experience tell me if that was a typical cruise as far as the "bounce". While it didn't bother me a whole lot, I assumed a ship that size would be smoother. I heard some people got sick.

My family & I left out of Miami on the Victory on the 16th so we came on right after you. We had very rough seas the first day and a half but then it calmed down a lot. I think it was weather related. It was very windy our first few days out.

Hi again Duane and Lisa,...What I meant about the seas being calm is that when I went out on our balcony, there were not the large whitecap crested seas that we had endured most of the week as far as I could see..this is what caused me to think we has perhaps just passed another large ship...also, to me the duration of said rocking and rolling of the ship did not seem to last very long.

Archived