Thompson Destiny - Coral Islands/Caribbean Gems - 21 Mar to 4th Apr-

Only a week and a bit to go and can't wait.

Just a few last minutes questions.

Currency : I was just going to get US Dollars but I think most of our ports of call use EC dollars is it worth getting some of this currancy before we go and a few euros for Martinique. This is the itenary.

La Romana - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC -Peso

St George's - GRENADA - EC $

Castries - ST LUCIA - EC $

St John's - ANTIGUA - EC $

Philipsburg - ST MAARTEN - Euro

Road Town - TORTOLA - US $

Fort de France - MARTINIQUE - Euro

Wednesday, Bridgetown - BARBADOS - EC $

Thursday, Roseau - DOMINICA - EC $

Basseterre - ST KITTS - EC $

Suite Cases : We are thinking we need some larger suite cases with all the formal wear we are taking. Just wondering what types are best. I i right in thinking you have to keep them in your cabin somewhere so are holdalls which can be squished flat best and put in back of wardobe best if the cabins are not that big.

Packing DJ : Any tips on packing a DJ so it doesn't crease. I'm sure I read somewhere that you get a free complimentary pressing service for two items on the day off departure. Did I imagine it as I can't find where I read it.

Luggage allowance : The tickets state 23 KG hold lugage and i think either 6 to 9 kg hand. If we take one hugh coffin size suit case which says weighs 30 KG and then a mediam sized of 16 kg and check them in between us is this acceptabe or is there a maximum size per item now with health and saftey and maximum size a bagage handler can lift.

Thanks.

Currency : I was just going to get US Dollars but I think most of our ports of call use EC dollars is it worth getting some of this currancy before we go and a few euros for Martinique. This is the itenary.

We only took US$ with us on our cruise. They accepted them everywhere - even in Martinique

Suite Cases : We are thinking we need some larger suite cases with all the formal wear we are taking. Just wondering what types are best. I i right in thinking you have to keep them in your cabin somewhere so are holdalls which can be squished flat best and put in back of wardobe best if the cabins are not that big.

You do have to keep your suitcases in your cabin - we stood ours up in the wardrobe with no bother!

Packing DJ : Any tips on packing a DJ so it doesn't crease. I'm sure I read somewhere that you get a free complimentary pressing service for two items on the day off departure. Did I imagine it as I can't find where I read it.

Don't know about a free pressing service - we certainly weren't offered one. You can pay for it though! DH just packs his DJ on the top of the case - hang it up in the bathroom when you are having a shower and it will be fine!

Luggage allowance : The tickets state 23 KG hold lugage and i think either 6 to 9 kg hand. If we take one hugh coffin size suit case which says weighs 30 KG and then a mediam sized of 16 kg and check them in between us is this acceptabe or is there a maximum size per item now with health and saftey and maximum size a bagage handler can lift.

NO!!! The cases can weigh no more than 23 kgs each. They will refuse to take them if they are over that!

Thanks.

I'm so jealous of you! We had a great time and I'm sure you will. If you want to know anything else just ask and i'll try to help.

Ann

Yes, it will be charged to your on-board account, I think it's about £12 a week (?).

We stored suitcases under the bed, if they're too fat to fit under closed then just open them out.

We saw people at Birmingham airport at Christmas having to take stuff out of overweight suitcases. They had to buy another bag from the airport shop and take the excess in this. Bit stressed at 6a.m.! Coming home your cases are taken from you the night before and aren't weighed individually so not a problem.

Carol x

Thanks for all the info. Just thought of something else. Do you have to pay for the use of the safety deposit box in the room and are they key or code operated.

On Spirit and Celebration the safe keys are sort of magnetic. You hold them to the safe door and it bleeps and locks/unlocks. Sometimes you have to try once or twice but you soon get the knack, the little horrors are easy to lose as well and the devil to get on a key ring.

Hi

My Wife and I have just booked on the same cruise as you. Do you know if there is a roll call for this cruise.

We will be taking a large holdall and a large suit bag and hopefully they will fit under the bed. We will also have 2 hand cases, 7KG is the limit, that again will fit under the bed.

If you fancy a pint aboard I am sure that can be arranged.

Best Wishes

Clive

Thanks.

Just arrived home this morning from the Carribean and the Destiny and will do a review when i am more with it...

My case was half a kilo under going out but about half a kilo over coming home but my sisters case was well in so i didn't get charged any extra,my hand luggage felt like a ton weight but they didn't weigh it coming back it was ok going out but i crammed shoes and stuff in it coming home.

I took a suit just folded it on top and it was fine when i took it out,i had a hard case which would not go under the bed so it went in the wardrobe,i use it as a safe anyway,why pay for the one in the cabin lol....

Some beautiful islands out there but the locals are always after you money and watch Dominican Republic close to the ship for muggers....6 ppl off the boat got attacked.....

I have booked Antigua Premier Tours for their circumnavigation tour lasting 5/6 hours. There is just my wife and I so there is room for 2 more people.

The tour can be seen on their website but in addition I have asked for a stop to see The Antiguan Recreation Ground (Cricket) to be included

The total cost of the tour is $160 so for 4 of us it would be $40 each .

Let me know if you are interested, first come first served.

In order to miss the chaos on the dock I have arranged for them to pick us up at 10am which will have us back to the ship by 4pm. The ship sails at 6pm

Archived