disposable underwater cameras?

leah26cat

I bought two of these cameras last Novemember on the Splendor to use in Cabo San Lucas. My wife took one on her dry-land tour and I took the other one to take picktures while snorkeling. Both cameras were worthless. Every picture we took (both cameras) were so fuzzy you couldn't tell what we were trying to take pictures of. Don't waste your money. At least that was my experience.

I have also bought the ones at Walmart and Walgreens, but for a little more money I bought a digital one on e-bay that is reuseable. It takes great underwater pictures. I have bought two each at different times. The first time I paid about $80 and the second time I paid $50 for one for my mother. It beats buying cameras over and over.

You can also take the camera out of its waterproof case and use it as a regular camera. Outside pictures are great - inside not so good.

I bought a Fuji underwater disposable camera at WalMart for, I think, around $10. Took it when I snorkled last time, and the photos are very clear, very colorful.

I'd never purchase something like that on a cruise ship. Get it before you go.:)

Carnival is scamming its customers but selling the clear plastic covered reusable cameras bought on board. I purchased one of these for about $15, took snorkeling pictures had them developed on board. TO say the least they were horrible, no color and out of focus. I immediately returned the pictures and camera to the photo shop and requested a refund. I was told we do not give refunds. I requested the manager and showed him the pictures he said:

ALL PICTURES FROM THAT CAMERA LOOK LIKE THAT. I did get my money for the camera but not the pictures and didn't want to wait for 45 minutes in line to complain. I knew I was in trouble when removing the film, it had no brand name or expiration date. My snorkel experience is now smoked.

Shame on Carnival for knowingly scamming people like this.

In my experience, they're marginal at best. I've tried them both snorkeling and scuba diving. They're better in shallow water and bright light. At any depth, they degrade quickly. At scuba depths, they're non-functional as the shutter release spring isn't strong enough under water pressure.

The costs quickly add up when you count in processing expense. I figure for the cost of three or four rounds of camera plus processing, I'd more than paid for this inexpensive ($65) digital solution that I recently acquired. The pictures are vastly superior. Highly recommended.

In my experience I bought 2 of the disposable ones on the Valor for my DH and I on our honeymoon. After we snorkeled we had Carnival develop them and both came back with blank negatives and no pictures (like the film had been exposed prior to use) so I would not buy them again.

In my experience, they're marginal at best. I've tried them both snorkeling and scuba diving. They're better in shallow water and bright light. At any depth, they degrade quickly. At scuba depths, they're non-functional as the shutter release spring isn't strong enough under water pressure.

The costs quickly add up when you count in processing expense. I figure for the cost of three or four rounds of camera plus processing, I'd more than paid for this inexpensive ($65) digital solution that I recently acquired. The pictures are vastly superior. Highly recommended.

I got a similar deal off of Amazon for a Vivitar digital camera. It has some flaws, but I still prefer it to trying to use my 35 mm underwater or a disposable.

Hi - just joining in as a frequent user of disposal underwater cameras. I have used all brands and they all basically stink. Below water, pictures tend to be fuzzy and everything will be blue toned due to lack of light below the waters surface. Even if it has a flash it wont be strong enough to make much of a difference. I am consistently disappointed with pictures I have gotten back using these cameras. Above surface, the photos tend to be oversaturated in color and lacking in any kind of sharpness. The only thing they are good for I think is for giving to kids to take photos on the beach.

You would be better off buying a waterproof housing for your current digital camera or buying a dedicated waterproof digital camera (I just bought the Canon D10 for less than $300 for my trip next week and am anxious to see if it is an improvement). Also, don't buy them on the ship. You can get them cheaper at amazon or other site.

Those spectacular underwater photos that you see on diving websites and the like are typically taken with very high quality cameras with strong multiple flashes.

You would be better off buying a waterproof housing for your current digital camera or buying a dedicated waterproof digital camera (I just bought the Canon D10 for less than $300 for my trip next week and am anxious to see if it is an improvement). Also, don't buy them on the ship. You can get them cheaper at amazon or other site.

Those spectacular underwater photos that you see on diving websites and the like are typically taken with very high quality cameras with strong multiple flashes.

Can you use underwater cameras like the Canon D10 for land pic's too?

My husband bought the CANON D10 last Fall, from Amazon, I think. What a great little camera! Underwater/snorkeling pictures came out amazing, bright colors, clear. As a regular land camera, it's equally as good. I used the zoom feature a lot, and those pics came out great, too. It was very well rated in Consumer Reports, also. I would recommend it.

Can you use underwater cameras like the Canon D10 for land pic's too?
Of course. They have special seals that allow them to be taken underwater (To about 25 feet or so) and they work just fine when you are above the water's surface.

we bought underwater film cameras for our last trip. Used them underwater, and at a Dolphin encounter. Disappointed in the quality. It seemed like the film must have gotten warm or something, as there were bright streaks on some of the pictures. I bought a Fugi digital camera at Target, that is for underwater or on land. Can't wait to see how they turn out, and the great thing is you can look at your pics right away, and not have to wait for development! We looked into cases for our Cannon cameras, but they were ridiculously priced! Good luck!

Has anyone ever used the camera bags instead of the rigid plastic housing?

No... But I considered it. Drawbacks in my mind...

1. To get the best optics, you need the "hard lens" variety that start at like $60 or more.
  2. They're typically rated to only 15' (5 meters) or so. OK for playing at the beach - but not much more.
  3. Not sure I trust my expensive camera to a plastic bag.

No... But I considered it. Drawbacks in my mind...
  1. To get the best optics, you need the "hard lens" variety that start at like $60 or more.
  2. They're typically rated to only 15' (5 meters) or so. OK for playing at the beach - but not much more.
  3. Not sure I trust my expensive camera to a plastic bag.

I never thought about the optics without the "hard lens"... good point but probably still better than a disposable though...

15' plenty for beach/pool/snorkeling

But trusting camera to plastic bag? Thats the rub isn't it? Not sure I do either....

Archived