What Did You Love About The Ruby?

AliceS

With little time between trips, I don't have time for a full review, but I loved my 20 days on the Ruby. I loved the International Café having breakfast sandwiches and other items for lunch or breakfast in addition to the usual shrimp, greek salad, etc. It was lovely.

The entire staff was excellent, from Captain Speaking, Generosso, James and everyone else. We had such a good time and they all came to our Cruise Critic Meetings. I think there might just be a lurker or two among them? They seem to read these boards.

Now, tell me what you loved? Off to Vegas. Alice

Stuffed olives at Adaigo! People watching in the Piazza. International cafe with bar next door. Being able to carry on wine to enjoy on my balcony while watching the sun set! These are just a few of my favorite things!

I loved the hidden pool and hot tub at the back of the ship above the terrace pool.

Oh, yeah, I left those out. Great!! Especially the hot tub!! The pool by that particular hot tub was designated as the "teen" pool. Never saw anyone in it though.

The entire staff was excellent, from Captain Speaking,

Off to Vegas. Alice

Sounds like Captain Tony Yeoman is no longer at the helm. We were looking forward to seeing him again when we sail on the Ruby next week.

But, we loved everything about the ship, the staff and crew.... can't wait til the 20th.

And BTW, we are off to Vegas also when we return...

Captain Yeoman is the captain right now. Just got off the ship yesterday....Loved the chocolate/chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven at the International Cafe....the young man working there was dubbed "the Cookieman"...he was so nice!!

Loved the Ultimate Ship Tour we took and meeting and talking with the Captain...Loved it all!!

We sailed the Ruby Grand Med 12 days in peak season (August 2009), and my favorite thing about the ship was the price. I thought it was a bargain at $4600 all inclusive for 4 people in an ocean view cabin.

Sounds like Captain Tony Yeoman is no longer at the helm. We were looking forward to seeing him again when we sail on the Ruby next week.

Sorry, That was a joke. Captain Yeoman is at the helm and always says, "This is Captain Speaking" when he makes announcements, so, that's what I call him. There was a comedian who always commented on that. A

The Ruby is such a beautiful ship! Everywhere there is so pretty and just feels like home. I also love the aft by the terrace pool. It's nice to just go out there at night and relax away from the crowds sometimes and listen to the waves. Also, who could forget the International Cafe-love it!

Being only our second cruise, we discovered the International Cafe. The wheelhouse for shrimp and chips. Having a drink on my balcony. Our dining room wait staff. Our room steward that took care of us. Our CC meet and greet. We had a great time and will be back with Princess!

Sorry, That was a joke. Captain Yeoman is at the helm and always says, "This is Captain Speaking" when he makes announcements, so, that's what I call him. There was a comedian who always commented on that. A

A - So True - He started his announcement that way when we did our 3 day Caribbean Sampler in December. It was a very early morning, in the cabin announcement, that we would not be tendering to Princess Cay morning due to high seas. He really sounded sad to be giving us the bad news & he tried his best to get us to Nassau but no berths available. DH & I felt so sorry for Captain Tony - as we call him. That was really a fun cruise - though we ended up on the "cruise to no where" - it was fabulous to be on the Ruby!:D

Favourite thing about the Ruby???? Everything. She is a wonderful ship. Just spent 20 days on her. Aft pools and the Outrigger bar . Our aft cabin. Sailaway drinks at the Outrigger bar. The friendly crew. Michaelangelo Dining Room. Piazza entertainment.

And of course, Alice. :-)

Sarah

Yogurt and granola parfaits with fresh raspberry puree from the pizza bar (really) every morning, quiet drinks with olives and parmesan crackers at Adagio (severely underutilized - too bad for the bar staff, good for us); an excellent meal at Crown Grill that exceeded our expectations; more quiet drinks with good pre-dinner snacks in the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge at Skywalkers; great sushi and ceviche at Vines, even though we had to buy wine there to get it (they don't tell you that - but if it's not busy, you might scam them into the food without the drinks); the small but excellent quality desserts and gelato at International Cafe (chocolate mousse, mocha panna cotta and cherry cheesecake were outrageously good, and just the right size) - being on a ship with 3000 passengers and never feeling crowded. That was the best surprise.

Cheers,

Kirsten

We were on the Ruby in January for our first cruise.

I loved walking outside, from air con. inside, and feeling the warm balmy Caribbean air all around us, as we strolled around the promenade deck after dinner.

I loved wondering which sort of chocolate would be waiting on our pillows as we returned to our stateroom each evening.

I loved it when we were in port, and there was security at various stages, but we were part of the elite group that got to flash our cards, and be admitted up the gangway and onto the boat.

I loved it when one evening we decided to have our dinner in stages -entree and wine at Vines (Japanese-stye fish), main course later at the buffet, and later still, coffee and cake at the International Cafe.

I could easily go on.....:)

Favourite thing about the Ruby???? Everything. She is a wonderful ship. Just spent 20 days on her. Aft pools and the Outrigger bar . Our aft cabin. Sailaway drinks at the Outrigger bar. The friendly crew. Michaelangelo Dining Room. Piazza entertainment.

And of course, Alice. :-)

Sarah

I am 100% with you...This is why I booked Princess again and ready to sail on the Emerald in just 8 LONG days from now.....The Ruby was amazing to us, and I am sure the Emerald will be as well. :)

I agree, with the exception of MUTS. We were on the Ruby for 20 days in January (wish it could have been 30), and it was the best in what has become a run of excellent Princess cruises. The ship just seemed happy to us, and that certainly enhances our cruise experience. The only thing I regret is that we missed Generoso, who was getting on as we disembarked.

The pub lunch (DH would eat TWO servings of fish and chips), the shrimp salad at the IC, the mixed berries I ate with at least two meals a day, the entire back of the ship, including the bartender at Outriggers, our cabin location (Riviera Deck aft), the sauna and steam room in the locker rooms (free!). The spicy garlic shrimp on German night in Cafe Caribe. The guacamole in Cafe Caribe on Mexican lunch day. Our cabin steward Francisco from the Phillippines. At least three times a day everyday since we disembarked I wished I was back on that ship. Truly an excellent cruise experience.

I agree,

The pub lunch (DH would eat TWO servings of fish and chips), the shrimp salad at the IC, the mixed berries I ate with at least two meals a day, the entire back of the ship, including the bartender at Outriggers, our cabin location (Riviera Deck aft), the sauna and steam room in the locker rooms (free!). The spicy garlic shrimp on German night in Cafe Caribe. The guacamole in Cafe Caribe on Mexican lunch day. Our cabin steward Francisco from the Phillippines. At least three times a day everyday since we disembarked I wished I was back on that ship. Truly an excellent cruise experience.

You mention you were on the Aft Riviera deck. We will be in cabins R748 & R750 for our Caribbean Cruise next Feburary. Do you have any pictures you could share with us. We picked these cabins because a few years ago we had them on a cruise to Alaska (on the Diamond) and loved them. That is why we booked them when we saw that the deck plans were almost identical to the Diamond. We wished we could cruise forever......Roy W.

You mention you were on the Aft Riviera deck. We will be in cabins R748 & R750 for our Caribbean Cruise next Feburary. Do you have any pictures you could share with us. We picked these cabins because a few years ago we had them on a cruise to Alaska (on the Diamond) and loved them. That is why we booked them when we saw that the deck plans were almost identical to the Diamond. We wished we could cruise forever......Roy W.

Roy, we were in an inside cabin a few cabins away from those. I did see those cabins, though, from the Terrace Deck, and I think they're a bit different than on the Diamond (which I've also sailed on). On the Diamond, you can't see from the Terrace Deck onto the balcony of the cabin closest to that back door. On the Ruby, the first balcony is very visible from the Terrace Deck. So passengers on the Terrace Deck can see right down onto someone on the outer half (or more) of the cabin's balcony. It's like it's down half a deck (which is it, if you think about those steps at the end of each corridor on Riviera Deck). While the one balcony looks bigger (in the cabin closest to the middle of the ship), you definitely sacrifice some privacy.

Someone on this board had posted photos of this; I just searched Webshots and couldn't find them.

The good thing about the Ruby is that the hinge on that back door was adjusted perfectly...no door slamming sound that we heard on the Emerald and the Crown.

Archived