Can you upgrade at the dock?

gquest

Has anyone ever upgraded there cabin when they arrived at the dock? Also, are all the Valor ships selling out? I am traveling on the Valor on March 6, 2005 and I booked a 6A gty and I wanted to possibly upgrade to a balcony suite when I arrive at the dock, if there are any available. I located my cabin number using the book modify method (cabin#2478). Has anyone ever had any luck doing this? I already asked my travel agent, but that is a whole other story (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=123757). I called Carnival and they told me it could be done but most of their ships sell out. Is this true?

Is the amount I pay to upgrade the difference between the two categories at the present prices or is it the difference between what I payed intially and what the current category I want to upgrade to is going for? Thanks

There is no more sailing from the dock on embarkation day. Post-9/11 security requires pre-screening of passenger lists, which takes place well before sailing. Thus, they won't/can't add anyone to the passenger docket at the last minute.

This would not apply in this case as the OP states they already have a cabin booked and are simply looking for an UPGRADE.

Just asked my TA and the cost to upgrade from a 6A gty to a balcony is.......$400 pp...WOW. I payed $747 for 6A gty back in September. My room has been assigned (#2478). I am happy with this :). However, next cruise i think i will spring for the balcony.

On Carnival, it is rare that you can ask for and get an upgrade at the dock. It isn't so rare, however, to get to the dock and find out you have already been upgraded, if you've booked a category guarantee. RCI does let you upgrade (for a fee) at the dock if they have space available. But, in our experience (and others', from what I've read), Carnival does the upgrading before the day of the cruise.

MY TA told me to ask for an upgrade at the docks. We are in a QUAD and I am hearing they never upgrade QUADS!! I am hoping they will but won't hold my breath!!

That's because there are a limited number of quads and they sell out fast with families trying to save some money by not having to get 2 cabins.

Archived