Free & Easy at St. Petersburg

Piggy Cruiser

We where very fortunate and had a friend of a friend that acted as a tour guide for us. She took as everywhere, and we had a fantastic time!

Unless you speak a decent bit of Russian I would be fairly heistant to try and go on my own. I did not see a lot of "official" taxis. Most taxis where just locals that would pull over and take you somewhere for an agreed price.

Not a lot of people spoke english, so that could be an issue as well.

-Dan

A couple of years ago some friends from Austria arranged for a visa and were walking around St. Petersburg on their own. They are very experienced travelers, and street smart. But a pickpocket got to them and it was an expensive lesson.

I was worried enough when I was on a ship sponsored shore excursion which included a ride on the subway, and the group had to be accompanied by bodyguards.

My friends were not in the underground -- they were out on the street, and never saw whoever took their stuff.

Unless with a ship's excursion or with a government approved private tour company, you are required to secure a visa or you will not be permitted to leave the port facility. The requirement is imposed by the Russian government, not the US. We've visited St. Petersberg on two cruises and would not suggest doing it on your own. Despite a subway and taxis, the city and its environs are expansive and traffic can be problematic, the wait at many of the 'must see' sights can be quite long if you're not with a tour, and language can be an issue because English is not as widely spoken in St. P as it often is elsewhere.

Archived