silly question for some...

cupidsarrrow

Hi there, okay I have a very silly question for all of you that have cruises will NCL. I have cruised, 8 so far, but all with carnival. We chose our up coming cruise on the jewel because of the ports and needed to see a change with other cruise lines. With that being said, this cruise is a non formal night type cruise experience. So here is my question, when people go out for dinner in the evening what are they wearing? Is it the same no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms or is it casual comfy, semi formal?? My husband loves the idea because he doesnt have to as he puts it " put on the monkey suit" for dinner, but myself I enjoy dressing up cause where we live we dont get that kind of opportunity to dress up.

I probably wont bring my fancy dresses but I would like to wear a cocktail dress but, on that note I dont want to be more dressed up than others and look out of place. Any advice??

You sound like me and your husband sounds like mine. :)

The most important thing to keep in mind on your FREESTYLE cruise is that YOU get to decide what YOU want to wear (within the rules, of course). What that means is that if YOU enjoy wearing a cocktail dress, YOU should wear one, and if your husband wants to chill in jeans all week, he should do that. With the exception of one 'dress up or not' night, when my husband wears the predetermined outfit I packed for him, he relaxes in his jeans. I, on the other hand, dress up every night, because like you, I don't get to do it much at home. I LOVE dressing up, so I take advantage of being on a cruise to wear as many of my nice clothes as I can - but while I'm having fun dressing up, it wouldn't be enjoyable at all if I felt like my husband was uncomfortable. I guarantee that there will be plenty of people around you in both styles of attire, and everything in between.

I think for me, as long as I feel like an occasion befits a certain level of attire, I never feel overdressed. I think a cocktail dress (or a formal gown on 'dress up or not' nights) is absolutely appropriate for a cruise ship dining room, so if no other passengers choose to dress up on a given evening, I still feel completely comfortable. We attend my husband's company Christmas party here and I am always in the minority wearing a formal gown, but couldn't care less; one of the managers comes every year in a 'nice' tracksuit, and I'm sure she feels comfortable as well. I imagine neither of us would be happy in the others' outfit, though! I should also note that while there are constantly people commenting about people whom they feel were 'underdressed' on cruises, I have never once seen a comment that anyone was overdressed. It's the more casual wear that people are 'getting used to' on cruises, so when someone wears a cocktail dress, a suit, or even a formal, it really looks like it belongs, even though the observer might have chosen to be more casual themselves. :)

From our experience on the Jade a year ago, I can say that there is a minimum dress code for the main dining rooms at dinner time. A jacket for men is never required. We did see people very politely turned away in shorts, jeans and tank tops. But they would be fine elsewhere on board. Those that said they'd change were told to come right back up front when they returned.

The feeling and formality of Jade's Grand Pacific Dining Room made you want to feel a little spiffier than during the day. I always wore Dockers or slacks and Hawaiian shirts.

Shorts and jeans were never a problem at breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms. (But please, nobody wants to look at gorilla arm pits while dining.)

They did have a few designated formal nights, and many people did dress up to the nines. Extra photography venues were set up on those nights for the glamourous poses, and they were well taken advantage of. The event is what you make of it.

Especially since we did an 11-day tour of Egypt with a single suitcase allowed preceding the 21-day back-to-back cruise from Barcelona, I left the glad rags and wingtips at home to save baggage weight. On formal nights, I did respect the occasion to a point, wearing nicer slacks, shirt and tie (sometimes)....no jacket ever.

I usually wear Dockers and either a polo shirt or Hawaiian/Camp shirt with shoes. I never wear jeans, shorts, t-shirt or flip flops to the MDR for dinner. My wife usually wears pants, not jeans, a blouse, printed shirt or polo shirt. She will also wear a Hawaiian type dress. For breakfast & lunch we usually wear shorts.

Steve

I like to spiff up a bit for cruises, both to show a little respect for tradition and because there is almost no occasion to do so where I live. Here in the Redwoods on the extreme north coast of California, "dressy" in town is relatively clean jeans without holes and a nice flannel shirt. For a big night out, some people even put their teeth in. It's the same, male or female. (Ok, it's not that grim, but pretty close.) I've worn my suit twice since moving here: once for a funeral and once as a character in a murder-mystery dinner theatre show.

Having lived in a city with arts and entertainment, nice restaurants and all, and working in an office, I have shirts and ties left that I don't wear here. So I'll bring a couple on a cruise and dude-up once in a while.

However, I personally love NCL Freestyle, as I never have to bring a suit and glossy shoes again. Never did the tux thing, so I felt a little underdressed on other cruise line formal nights. Switching to NCL was liberating and keeps me under the 50 lb. airline baggage limit!

Hi there, okay I have a very silly question for all of you that have cruises will NCL. I have cruised, 8 so far, but all with carnival. We chose our up coming cruise on the jewel because of the ports and needed to see a change with other cruise lines. With that being said, this cruise is a non formal night type cruise experience. So here is my question, when people go out for dinner in the evening what are they wearing? Is it the same no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms or is it casual comfy, semi formal?? My husband loves the idea because he doesnt have to as he puts it " put on the monkey suit" for dinner, but myself I enjoy dressing up cause where we live we dont get that kind of opportunity to dress up.

I probably wont bring my fancy dresses but I would like to wear a cocktail dress but, on that note I dont want to be more dressed up than others and look out of place. Any advice??

There are 2 nights (usually sea days) that you will see some people a little more dressed up than other nights. These are the nights the photographers are taking the formal pics as well. If you want to wear a nice, cocktail dress go ahead and maybe hubby will be content to wear a shirt and tie. He doesn't have to worry about the monkey suit (my hubby loves this idea) We usually dress a little more when going to the specialty dining rooms as well. Other than those nights, you can be comfortable in jeans or capris with nice blouses or polo type tops. Some have mentioned wearing shorts in the dining room. This seems to be a policy that may or may not exist. To be safe, if it were me, I wouldn't try until I saw if others were wearing them.

Nita

Archived