Excursions on Cozumel & Costa Maya? Go w/ the ship or go "rogue"?

Hi! We'll be in Cozumel and Costa Maya 4/5-6 on the Grandeur. What are your recommended ship sponsored (or independent) excursions at these ports? We'd love to snorkel - especially in Cozumel - where we've been once before. Any recommendations? Is this the right board for the most responses to this question? Thanks, in advance. ~Wendy~

When I am looking for excursion reviews, I go to the Ports of Call boards and read through the first several pages. Then I do a cc search for anything in particular I might find.

Then I also use google and TripAdvisor.

You will get answers here also, but it doesn't compare to looking at all your options by doing searches online.

Definitely go the CC boards for these ports. But also, I would check to see my "competition" in port. We did Costa Maya and we were the only ship in port. We did Cozumel on the same cruise - we were one of 4 ships in port. Obviously more ships means more people competing for deals.

If you search on here, you should find a site that shows what ships are in what port on any given day.

Also, in Costa Maya we took a taxi downtown ($2 I think?), then got a better deal there on renting a golf cart to drive around. Also, better drink prices, massage prices downtown, but right at the port there's a beautiful pool with a swim up bar, restaurant, pool volley ball and beach.

In Cozumel we did Nacci Cocum (excuse any misspelling). We could've rented a car (we went with another couple) for less than a taxi price, but in retrospect (after numerous drinks) I was glad we took a taxi.

Definitely check out the Ports of Call and TripAdvisor as suggested. Through there, we've found lots of great information for excursions. In Costa Maya, we're spending the day at Maya Chan, it's got some great reviews. In Cozumel we've set up a deep sea fishing excursion with snorkelling. Will try and write some reviews upon our return.

hey Wendy, were first time cruisers leaving on the 21st on Voyager (Roatan,Costa Maya,Cozumel). Based on all the awesome information obtained on this site over the past 6 months we have booked all of our own excursions. Bodden Tours for Roatan, Native Choice for Costa Maya, and Nachi Cocom beach in cozumel. There are so many great non-ship options, good luck

There's plenty to do right off the boat in Cozumel if you are looking to go rogue, but in Costa Maya you just have to go to Maya Chan Beach Club. Maya Chan was the best day of our whole cruise. It covers everything, from snorkeling, to bike riding down the beach, drinking, relaxing, and swimming. And it's all for a good price. You get your own palapa (sp?) and the drinks keep coming all day. The service was excellent, my massage was great ($25/half hour $40/hour), and the grilled tacos David cooked up was by far the best meal of my trip. I could go on and on about this place.

Thank you for directing me toward Maya Chan Beach Club in Costa Maya. I emailed the owner last night (after reading thorough and rave reviews) and am hoping to learn today if we're "in."

Gotta love CC message boards - thanks, again!

: ) Wendy

Just got off the Grandeur on Thursday with my 20yo DD. BIG Spring Breaker cruise!!! But nothing much to report home about that, fortunately ;) The ship is beautiful!!! The staff was very friendly, room steward was on top of her game. Food was tasty and plentiful. Nothing about the ship was disappointing!

Probably my only thumbs down would be for how the merchants hassle you to come visit their shop next, then breathe down your back the whole time you are in their shop. I know this will happen, and anticipate it... but it still is very uncomfortable. If DD had not wanted to shop, I probably would not have even gotten off the ship! Oh yeh, when you get off the ship in Costa Maya, there are soldiers with rifles waiting at the end of the pier... just a warning!

We went zip lining in Costa Maya (Biomaya) on a cruise sponsored excursion. That was the second time zipping for both of us. I would definitely give that trip a thumbs up. The transportation was comfortable, the guides were knowledgable and funny, the zipping was thrilling... don't count on the "snack" that is provided... one warm bottle of water BEFORE zipping, and one peeled orange afterwards ;) Of course there was beer, soda and chips available for purchase on the bus coming back to the ship! I would recommend this excursion if you have zip lining on your 'bucket list'... but I have now had my fill, and would be happy to pass on it if given the opportunity again.

In Cozumel we shopped. We docked near Senor Frogs... hmmm... did I mention this was a BIG Spring Breakers Cruise?!?!:rolleyes: DD and I shopped right off the pier, then went back to the ship to enjoy the facilities almost entirely to ourselves!!! HUGE difference than the first sea day where not a lounger (or space to even lay a towel:eek: )could be found anywhere on deck 9 pr 10!!!

Whatever you choose to do, I'm thinking you won't be disappointed!

Enjoy!

:D

A~

Maya Chan was awsome two weeks ago. One of our best stops. Zak was one of the most attentive servers we ahve ever had. Lunch was good and the open bar worked for me.

In cozomel we went to Playa Maya for the beach break. Water was really clear to snorkel.

Booked maya chan on our own, booked Playa Maya thru the cruise line. Booked the 29.00 beach break without transportation. We have done this stop a few times. A cab is like 15.00 but we can come an go as we please. If you hook up with another couple the cab is 15.00 up to 4 people.

Thank you for directing me toward Maya Chan Beach Club in Costa Maya. I emailed the owner last night (after reading thorough and rave reviews) and am hoping to learn today if we're "in."

Gotta love CC message boards - thanks, again!

: ) Wendy

Hi,

We did the Mayan Ruins w/ beach break thru Rccl sponsored excursion. It's a long day but well worth it. I would only do that excursion thru the ship because there are too many connections you have to make,ie: ferry from Cozumel (1hr) then walk to bus tour and ride to ruins (1hr) then vise versa. Needless to say our ferry back from Playa del Carmen was an hour LATE:eek:

But the ship had to wait for us. I would never chance doing this on your own. It was an amazing experience.The ruins are breathtaking and right on the cliffs overlooking the ocean.

Probably a once in a lifetime experience.

Have a wonderful fun cruise

Liz

Ok, i tried googling, but I can't not find any contact info for contacting Maya Chan Beach Club. I'd like to know prices and possibly a reservation, if the price is right.

Hi! We'll be in Cozumel and Costa Maya 4/5-6 on the Grandeur. What are your recommended ship sponsored (or independent) excursions at these ports? We'd love to snorkel - especially in Cozumel - where we've been once before. Any recommendations? Is this the right board for the most responses to this question? Thanks, in advance. ~Wendy~

Cozumel, especially, might be the best place to try going it on your own. It's so developed and tourist friendly. I usually do ship based excursions, but would feel most comfortable stepping out in Cozumel of all the places I've been.

BTW, are you signed up on our Meet and Mingle. We've got about 27 people on this cruise. We'll hope to see you there.

Ok, i tried googling, but I can't not find any contact info for contacting Maya Chan Beach Club. I'd like to know prices and possibly a reservation, if the price is right.

Your photo is too cute!!!

Cozumel has a lot to offer and I am very familiar with the island as I spend a week at a time dive trips. But, I found myself with a relative on the Freedom who does not dive... So, I book a catamaran snorkel excursion by RCCL. We had the best time! The catamaran picked us up right at the pier and took us to a nice site to snorkel... Then we were off to a beach break. There was unlimited Cervezas & Margaritas. The beach break was relaxing as we floated on a mat in the warm water. The ride back to the pier was just as fun as we were watching flying fish & dancing to the music. :)

Archived