Cave Tubing with a 3 year old or what else???

fofun

We will be arriving in Belize in two weeks. We have a 3 year old daughter and two teen aged children. Last time we were there we went to the zoo for the day. It was OK, but hot and definitely not worth going back. We thought about cave tubing, but the ship tour doesn't allow children younger than 5. I know the private tours OK it, but I am not sure if it is safe or if we should risk the private tours. I am curious what all of you think. I would like your advise on the cave tubing or other ideas about what to do for the day.:D

Personally im not sure I would do it with a child that young. 5 MAYBE but anything younger I wouldnt do. After all you are in a river with flowing water. While some of the areas are waist deep others are 10'+ and there is a current that is enough to knock someone off their feet in certain places. Cave tubing is a blast though!

Call me crazy...We are taking our son cave tubing w. Major Tom's group next week, he will be 16months old and go on my lap. We spoke with M.T. about it and he said he has taken plenty of children before they could even walk! They can not provide a life vest his size (he's almost 27 lbs) so we are bringing our own.

Call me crazy...We are taking our son cave tubing w. Major Tom's group next week, he will be 16months old and go on my lap. We spoke with M.T. about it and he said he has taken plenty of children before they could even walk! They can not provide a life vest his size (he's almost 27 lbs) so we are bringing our own.

Hey I guess its not anyones problem but your own if you want to endanger your child I suppose. I wouldnt call it crazy...more like ignorant. Sorry.

Just to weigh in. Personally I don't think a 16 month old will enjoy this experience, not to mention the safety factor. There are spots where the current gets fast, and controlling your tube takes all your efforts. I got pushed into a wall by another tuber, and we both had to be pulled away by the guide, because of the current keeping us there. I wouldn't have wanted to have a baby in my lap during that. Just because the tour operator is willing to bring a baby along, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Another factor whether the child is 16 months, or 3 years, is that it is pitch black in many areas. The head lamps they have you wear really don't do much for eliminating the 'scary' feeling of not being able to see what's in the water below or the cave to the sides and above. Having done it, I would strongly suggest you both consider another option! I can just imagine the children crying through the experience - not much fun for anyone. We will be there next week with 4 teenagers who all want a beach day. We are going to Bannister Island with the ship.

Well, wow, I didn't think I'd get those kind of replies for my suggestion. I guess we should just keep young children on the ship...in our cabins locked up and never let them experience anything.

My decision was made after lots of research- read reviews on safety, watched videos online and spoke with several tour operators before deciding on cave tubing with my toddler. Thanks.

Mrs White,

Keep in mind the tour guides arent the parents of the kids going on these excursions. They want your money so they will tell you what you want to hear so that they can make YOUR money. If you have seen the videos of this tour you should know it wouldnt be safe for a infant. No one is saying to lock your kids in the cabin but use common sense. I would never put my child in a situation like this. At the very least he/she may get very scared and make the trip horrible for everyone in the group or things could obviously go way worse. I work as part of the search and rescue team for the sheriffs office and have seen many cases of child drownings that didnt need to happen. They happen in pools, rivers and lakes...and 99% are avoidable. So why chance something like this happening? I sure wouldnt. But thats just my .02 cents.

If you do decide to do this I would make these suggestions:

-pack some food for your child. It is a long day.

-ask before boarding about the water levels. If it rained a lot in the prior days the water may be high. I would not suggest you board the bus if you are going to the alternate site crystal caves.

-wear your own life jacket.

When my daughter was little she tipped out of our family boat wearing her life jacket(not on a cruise trip). I jumped off the moving boat after her. She was of course scared and was clinging to my head, pushing me under and I wasn't wearing my life jacket. Fortunately we were on a tranquil lake and my husband quickly scooped us both out and all were fine, but I should of had my jacket on and thought before I jumped.

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone's choices, but I would not recommend this type of excursion for a little one. We were unlucky to have had a atypical bad cave tubing experience, but even on a great day this just doesn't seem like the safest/most relaxing choice for a really little kid.

Best wishes for a nice trip.

Family Carnival Legend Cruise review cave tubing on page bottom of page 2 &3

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098358

Archived