For those who have made insurance claims...

gonna go cruising

Which company do you recommend? I went to insuremytrip.com but there are so many different companies represented there. I would prefer feedback from some of you who have had to file a claim rather than who got the best prices. I hope to not need it, never have bought it before but feel I need to this time for some reason. Maybe because it is a more expensive cruise this time. Thanks for the feedback.

Whoever you choose, make sure that is it primary coverage. The only time when I did have to make a claim, the insurance which I did buy was 'a secondary coverage' so they would not even 'talk' with me and let me file a claim untill I resolved the claim/loss with my primary carrier - it was a claim for reimburstment for a medical bill payed on the ship.

Wes

Right now I cannot think of the name of the travel insurance group as I added it through my agent. I'll try to find it and post -

In 1996 my husband and I booked a Western Carib cruise on the Carnival Triumph with friends. We were just sailing out of Cozumel when we found a note card under our cabin door telling us to go to the desk as we had a family emergency at home. The Carnival staff assisted us in making the call home to find that my husband's dad had died unexpectedly. I was in a panic wanting them to let us off in Cozumel. The staff calmed me down and were extremely helpful in making arrangements for us to disembark in Grand Cayman and arranged our flights home. I have to say that Carnival really came through for us during this sad time.

The travel insurance rep was great - he let us know what we needed to file the claim - the air tickets alone to get back to the States were over $700. We also were reimbursed for the remainder of our trip.

We were very happy to have had the insurance - now we never book a trip without it. It's just peace of mind.

there is a thread:) here that states which company people had dealings with when it came to filing claims. it's seems travelex or travelite seems to be the winner.the other one that people seem to like is CSA. i purchased travelex because of it's pre existance coverage.

I spoke with an agent with insuremytrip.com and was told that since flying USAir the only company that would cover me for missing the cruise due to flying (cancelled flight, delayed, or strike) would be Specialty Risk International though I have never heard of them and they are only rated B+, so I have no clue what to do now.

Archived