take a room at front of ship?

RC Pup

A

What is a room at the very front of the ship like? We've been offered a front corner suite on deck 10.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We have stayed in one of those front suite's, it wasn't to bad, I mean the room is great but you do get a little more motion in the front then the middle, still it wasn't bad. We went through some tropical storms, my DH isn't bother by the motion, me just a little bit. If you easly get sea sick, maybe you wouldn't want it, other wise I would say go for it, have fun and enjoy the great upgrade. Personally I never pass up a chance to stay in a suite.

My husband and I love the forward cabins but neither of us is prone to seasickness. The further forward and higher up you are the more you will feel the motion of the sea. As long as you are okay with being rocked to sleep you will love the suite.

St. Louis Sal

I enjoy the front and the motion of the ocean. I had an aft facing cabin one time and felt I was in a vibrating bed the whole cruise.

Dennis

Jacksonville

387 days at sea

33 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

21 day TA HAL Prinsondam May 2010

12 day TA Norwegian Sun Oct 2010

We have had a cabin directly below the bridge and had a verandah looking forward -- loved it. Yes, there is more motion than amidships, but no more than in an aft corner. On the other hand, you get a great view coming in to ports. DW doesn't tolerate motion 100%, and she was fine. I sail on small sailboats all the time and can take anything an amusement park can throw at me, so don't ask me. As has been stated, if you are not really prone to being seasick, the motion is a lot of gentle enjoyment!

There is likely to be some noise as you come into port -- anchors and/or thrusters, but I looked at it like a wake-up call to get up and watch the port entry and get dressed to eat and take an excursion.

Had a front OV one cruise. Motion was no problem, but below the bridge you can't show a light, makes it more like an interior except in the daytime when we're usually out of the room. It was a long way from anywhere but the showroom, about 900' from the dining room. A couple of times I was so tired I wanted to sit down and rest, but was afraid I couldn't get up.:mad: DW did not have that problem.

Never had one again, or sailed on such a big (2500 pax) ship.

As mentioned before, we had a forward-looking cabin with a verandah on an Oceania ship. Knowing about the light issue before we went, I ordered a couple of red night light bulbs and bought some of those very cheap night lights. I actually also bought a larger red bulb, and one of those equally cheap sockets with a plug at the bottom.

When we wanted to sit out and watch at night, we would plug in and turn on the red lights, and turn off the other cabin lights, and then open the curtains and/or door.

The bridge will not be bothered by red lights -- red does not affect night vision.

That does make me wonder, after reading a lot of posts on various boards, about the lighting in cabins that face forward. There are many marine light fixtures that have both red and white lights for just such a situation. I cannot figure out why cruise lines don't fit those cabins with appropriate lighting for the passengers' comfort. Most cruisers (and I'm likely talking about 99% or so) don't understand the problem, and don't think about those issues before they sail. It really shouldn't be the ship's telling people to keep their curtains closed after dark, it should be making appropriate alternatives available. After all, they are in the business.

I am getting the drift that there is an issue with having lights on in a forward cabins, please explain this to me. We are booked with "guarantee" and have not got our room assignment yet. Would like to know what we are getting into if we are assigned one. Thanks.

To preserve the night vision of the watch officers in the bridge, the ship will require cabins with forward windows or portholes to have them covered at night to prevent light from spilling out. Besides cabins, the Crow's Nest, the gym, and similar locations usually also cover these windows.

To preserve the night vision of the watch officers in the bridge, the ship will require cabins with forward windows or portholes to have them covered at night to prevent light from spilling out. Besides cabins, the Crow's Nest, the gym, and similar locations usually also cover these windows.

This was not true on my November 2009 Eurodam cruise. I had CA10004, which was below the Crows Nest and above the gym, with a huge window over the bow. My drapes stayed open 24 hours a day/night, as I prefer. Never once did anyone say anything, and there was nothing in the cabin to indicate I was doing anything wrong. It may be true for cabins below the bridge, but I was fine with my lights & open drapes above the bridge.

I booked the same cabin for next March, and wouldn't have done so if I couldn't have kept my lights on & drapes open after dark.

Sue/WDW1972

Ryndam 4/11/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

This was not true on my November 2009 Eurodam cruise. I had CA10004, which was below the Crows Nest and above the gym, with a huge window over the bow. My drapes stayed open 24 hours a day/night, as I prefer. Never once did anyone say anything, and there was nothing in the cabin to indicate I was doing anything wrong. It may be true for cabins below the bridge, but I was fine with my lights & open drapes above the bridge.

I booked the same cabin for next March, and wouldn't have done so if I couldn't have kept my lights on & drapes open after dark.

Sue/WDW1972

Ryndam 4/11/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

Okay, but I'm surprised to hear that.

We will be in the very front on our Zuiderdam cruise in April. We have room 5001 which is a handicapped room. We don't get motion sick but will have bonine with us anyway. It looks like a great location.

We were right under the bridge in room #5003 (Westerdam), and there were signs in the cabin telling us we couldn't have drapes open and lights on. I admit this was a real surprise to us, we never knew that beforehand about some forward cabins. We obeyed the rules, and at times it was quite tricky walking out on the Verandah in the dark, but we managed.

Other than that I loved the forward cabin. The motion and winds were not excessive. It felt really freeing to be at the very front, we could see where we were going. We liked looking down and seeing very little between us and the water. It was quiet being at the end of the hall.

We had a VF guarentee and got upgraded to this room. I wouldn't mind at all being booked in forward cabin again. :)

Archived