Introductions are in order

Hello all,

I have just joined this board and co-incidentally I have just come off a 9 day Mexican Riviera cruise round trip from San Diego on the Zaandam and haven't had the misfortune to return to work, yet. Reality set's back in tomorrrow, still missing those little chocloates on the bed and the towel creations.

I have cruised 5 times now, which includes a back to back on the Westerdam and have somehow managed to sail the other three times on the Zaandam. Luck of the draw I guess.

The weather could have been much nicer but anything beats looking out of the window at snow. Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta were both hot while Cabo San Lucas, Topolobampo and Lotero were all overcast. Last day of the cruise back into San Diego proved to be ..... interesting. I'm lucky to have a cast iron stomach, where as many of the passengers, and some of the crew, were not so lucky.

Regards to All

Ray, in Calgary

OK Demands can be met, sometimes.........

Not sure as to what you would like the info/scoop on. Our first cruise was on the Zaandam, and this really set the bar as to what the other cruises have been measured against.

So far we've been relatively lucky with our dining companions, enough where we've stayed in touch with a couple and have traded seasons greetings with others.

This last cruise we've noticed ....changes. The service from the ships hotel staff have always and still are to this point top notch 5*.

The restaurant staff in the Rotterdam on this particular cruise was for the most part excellent. The waiter and his assistant both served admirably 4* for them, espeicially when I noticed that they seemed to be covering more tables than on the first cruise.

The wine steward on the other hand left a lot to be desired. At a table of six, two of us were imbibers, myself and the wife of one of the other couples. Now I was served quickly and efficiently, kudos' on that part. What fell down was when I had to repeatedly call him over to gain service for her. Not just for the first couple of days but for most of the cruise. ½* for that little portion.

We also noticed on a fairly consistant basis we we were asking for glassware and cutlery to be replaced due to water spots(I hope). 2*

On the other cruises I've always managed to gain a good rapport with the shop personnel, on this cruise I just couldn't seem to strike up a real rapport with any of them.

I noticed that the bar staff also seemed a little more harried than before, again I put it down to staffing cuts, but on more than one occaision I noticed T-shirts poking out from under tunics, glasses left on the bar a little to long. Nothing major, just little things here and there.

Shore excrusion staff were ever present and more than willing to help out and answer any of the dumb tourist questions and to point out where the safe locations in the various ports were and where to go to be parted from our well earned tourist dollars expeditiously. :-) Only to be expected.

Speaking of dumb touristy things, and I can attest to this one. While I was out on the promenade deck I over heard this from a dear sweet little old lady to her travelling companion. "We must remember to thank the Captain for arranging for all those dolphins to come and see us" I damn near walked into a stantion I was laughing so hard.

Does this meet with your demands??? :-)

Ray, in Calgary

Welcome to Cruise Critic:) We'll be sailing the Zaandam in April...Any other info you would like to share would be wonderful.

I've sailed on the Maasdam and on three Vista class ships..think we'll like the size of this ship. Did you venture out to the aft Lido pool at all? Did you eat in the new Italian restaurant?

Love your writing style and looking forward to more:)

Good to see another person from Calgary on Cruise Critic....welcome:). You've missed some good weather here, but at least it's supposed to be really nice today and tomorrow. I'm happy I have the day off work today. Welcome back to reality:D.

Hello all,

I have just joined this board and co-incidentally I have just come off a 9 day Mexican Riviera cruise round trip from San Diego on the Zaandam and haven't had the misfortune to return to work, yet. Reality set's back in tomorrrow, still missing those little chocloates on the bed and the towel creations.

I have cruised 5 times now, which includes a back to back on the Westerdam and have somehow managed to sail the other three times on the Zaandam. Luck of the draw I guess.

The weather could have been much nicer but anything beats looking out of the window at snow. Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta were both hot while Cabo San Lucas, Topolobampo and Lotero were all overcast. Last day of the cruise back into San Diego proved to be ..... interesting. I'm lucky to have a cast iron stomach, where as many of the passengers, and some of the crew, were not so lucky.

Regards to All

Ray, in Calgary

Hey Ray in Calgary, welcome to Crusie Critic. Thanks for taking the time to post your cruise review. Sorry the weather was not as good as you would have like it but that sometime happens. Better then snow is right. Yes, it can be on the rough side coming back into SD especially if there are storm's in the area and we certainly have had a few of late.

OK Demands can be met, sometimes.........

Not sure as to what you would like the info/scoop on. ...

Does this meet with your demands??? :-)

Ray, in Calgary

I think the demand for information was regarding this tantalizing comment:

Last day of the cruise back into San Diego proved to be ..... interesting. I'm lucky to have a cast iron stomach, where as many of the passengers, and some of the crew, were not so lucky.

Archived