Safety

VacayAway

I've heard about the increase of violence directed at Americans, even in just the last few weeks, happening in Mexico. We are going to Maya Chen in about 10 days. Is it still safe to venture out beyond the port areas??

I hope I'm just being a "Nervous Nelly" but since I'll have my kids with me I tend to be more cautious then usual so I thought I would ask ...

Thanks!

Realize first that the violence in Mexico is drug related mostly on the border states and in Mexico City. Maybe someone else can chime in with differnet impression, but I've yet to hear of cruise passengers being involved in any drug related crime incident between the Mexican Mafia and the Government, and especially in Costa Maya or Cozumel.

Trace Gallagher on Fox News just reported that all Americans are being strongly advised to avoid all border towns. However, since 9 people were also killed in Acapulco this weekend the US government is also recommending that anyone with travel to resort areas should stay within the confines of the resort and not leave the property. Doesn't sound very encouraging.

I appreciate all the helpful insights!!! I could do without some of the condascending ones, but I guess that goes with all message boards. It was nice to see the pictures as well. I know I can always count on (most) people on this board to give good advice!

Bon voyage!

With normal travel precautions, the area is safe. Yes, there is crime in the area. Most of the crime is petty theft and crimes of opportunity ( valuables left exposed or unattended). Tourism is the number two revenue producer for the country behind oil. The goverment goes to great lengths to protect those areas devoted to tourism. This is one of the reason for the military presence and checkpoints. They are there for tourism protection.

The country even goes as far as having 'Green Angels' patrol the highways for tourist or motorist that have broken down. They are like a patroling AAA service (only in the tourist area ).

Having traveled in much of Mexico from Baja to Cancun, you will find the majority of people warm, welcoming and helpful. I really think you need to get outside the confined pier area to experience Mexico. Also most of the business outside the pier are small businesses that survive on tourist business.

Actually felt less safe in port of call like Nassau.

I appreciate all the helpful insights!!! I could do without some of the condascending ones, but I guess that goes with all message boards. It was nice to see the pictures as well. I know I can always count on (most) people on this board to give good advice!

Bon voyage!

We've been to Cozumel on 3 cruises and 2 land vacations. We've been to Costa Maya on 3 cruise vacations. We have never felt unsafe and have walked extensively in both locations.

All who are worried shouldn't go!! Really, the Swine flu is what you should be worried about. Remember that scare?:eek: I still can't believe how much power the media really has.....Anyways, I can't wait to get there in 12 days. I will be the one wearing the mask !!!:) Anyone else care to join me ???

i think people need to realize that anywhere in the world is dangerous. Cruise ships dont make money if they place their clients in harms way.

Look at it this way...if you lived in Germany and read about escalating violence in Chicago, LA or New York, would you cancel your trip to Orlando and disneyworld?

I wouldnt go strolling through Juarez, Mexico City or Tijuana by myself at night, but a fishing village of 1000 people, 1000 miles from there...

I hate the media. Actually, nevermind, i enjoy the hype. You cant believe the deals I got on fishing and hotels in Cabo at the height of the "scare";)

yep, stay home. its safer

Archived