QM2 transatlantic crossing blog on Slate

Friscorays

From the blog that is the subject of this thread. I thought this was just a perfect paragraph:

"Even time itself was ever-shifting. On five of our six days at sea, we set our clocks back by one hour each night so that we would arrive in New York on Eastern Standard Time. As a result, we were never quite sure what time it was, and in the rare moments when we did know, it felt like a different time, anyway, since we were structureless—maybe Berlin time, which we had been accustomed to, or U.K. time, in which we had spent three days at a friend's house before boarding the ship. Every afternoon, a deck officer rang the ship's bell eight times to mark "the exact time of midday," but it seemed like a futile effort to connect us to the world on land. We soon learned to ignore it, because eight little rings did nothing to put a dent in the vastness of the ocean all around us and the ceaseless sliding by of the horizon."

• 10 months later...
From the blog that is the subject of this thread. I thought this was just a perfect paragraph:

"Even time itself was ever-shifting. On five of our six days at sea, we set our clocks back by one hour each night so that we would arrive in New York on Eastern Standard Time. As a result, we were never quite sure what time it was, and in the rare moments when we did know, it felt like a different time, anyway, since we were structureless—maybe Berlin time, which we had been accustomed to, or U.K. time, in which we had spent three days at a friend's house before boarding the ship. Every afternoon, a deck officer rang the ship's bell eight times to mark "the exact time of midday," but it seemed like a futile effort to connect us to the world on land. We soon learned to ignore it, because eight little rings did nothing to put a dent in the vastness of the ocean all around us and the ceaseless sliding by of the horizon."

That is, indeed, a very well observed paragraph - and I know exactly what she means. My abiding impression from my first TA last year was that it brought home to me with considerable impact exactly how large the Atlantic is. Also that feeling of "disconnection" from the world of dry-land is something that you just don't get on the average cruise where you are hopping on and off the ship roughly every 24 to 48 hours or so.

J

Jimmy

Just to change the subject (I know it's very unusual on this site), did you pick this up?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12330017

Stewart

Thanks Stewart, that was an interesting video. BBC2 Scotland also did a one hour documentary about the Stevensons last night - it was excellent and I even managed to stay awake long enough to watch it.

J

Archived