Another Question re Eliminating Formal Nights

Rudolph38

We just completed the 33 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise on the Rotterdam. There were seven (7) formal nights.

HAL does not have to discontinue formal nights if this cruise is a current trend. Of our 28 cruises with HAL this was the most casual of them all.

Each night including the formal nights approximately 350 passengers dined in the Lido (22% of total passengers). The nights we dined in the Lido on formal nighta most passengers were wearing shorts, shirts and flip flops and even some bathing trunks. The same passengers were later seen in the showroom. The Lido Restaurant was very crowded every night. One night we ate on the crew dining side since all the tables were occupied.

Two years ago we did the 30 day South Pacific cruise on the Ryndam. The Lido for dinner only averaged 125 passengers a night (10% of total).

It appears more and more passengers would perfer to dine casual than in a formal MDR setting.

Having just disembarked the Rotterdam along with G & G, I just thought I'd throw my two-bits worth in; of the 7 formal nights we attended 3; we brought all our formal wear, but just didn't feel like wearing it; we also dined the majority of the time in the Lido and I can attest to the crowding - we also ended up on the crew side because there were no tables available. Whether that is a symptom of few people wanting to dress up or a symptom of a longish cruise to a warm destination I'm not sure.......but this I know.........we will continue to choose our cruises based on destination/itinerary first, cruise line second and formal nights will be whatever they will be. We're actually discussing not taking any formal wear on the next cruise and just eating in the Lido. I certainly don't intend any disrespect to other passengers, but after dining in the Lido we went to the bars and had a drink and listened to the music and shopped and wandered, all in our casual wear; I'm on a vacation and that doesn't include dressing up, so we'll enjoy our holiday the way we want and others can enjoy it the way they want; live and let live and enjoy your life as you wish is our philosophy.

+1.

I prefer HAL for the size of their ships and itineraries, versus dress code. Part of cruising, to me anyway, is the ritual of getting dressed for dinner -- so I am sure that I would find good company w/ Taxmantoo's party in the MDR.

Scott.

i havent sailed hal but i agree with you about dressing for dinner for me because you are on a ship in the one space this delineates the day from the night. by showering and changing i feel like my husband and i are going OUT for the evening.

Each night including the formal nights approximately 350 passengers dined in the Lido (22% of total passengers). The nights we dined in the Lido on formal nighta most passengers were wearing shorts, shirts and flip flops and even some bathing trunks. The same passengers were later seen in the showroom. The Lido Restaurant was very crowded every night. One night we ate on the crew dining side since all the tables were occupied.

Two years ago we did the 30 day South Pacific cruise on the Ryndam. The Lido for dinner only averaged 125 passengers a night (10% of total).

It appears more and more passengers would perfer to dine casual than in a formal MDR setting.

Of course 22% is a long way from 50% or 60%.

The real question is, how many passengers are using the lido on casual nights when not going to the dining room has nothing to do with dress code?

On a long cruise, not one of them short 30 day cruises,:rolleyes: it is nice to skip the dining room once in a while... even on a casual night. On the '95 World Cruise I skipped the dining rroom for twenty straight days. There were a couple of people at the table who were doing a segment and I dined with them only twice! In those days the old ROTTERDAM did not offer dining in the Lido in the evening. Skipping dinner meant dining in the cabin, dining with Chief Officer and his wife up in his quarters, (usually because we were having a backgammon marathon), one dinner was in the chef's office down in the galley... on a formal night and yes, I was wearing a tux, dinners ashore when we did overnights in port and there were a couple of evenings when school (The Ocean Bar) was in 'session'.

As far as wearing shorts etc after 6pm... that is not on. The MINIMUM dress code for the entire ship (public rooms, lounges, bars etc) should be SMART CASUAL in the evening.

Stephen

In packing for an upcoming cruise, it dawned on me that since we only have one formal night on this 6 days cruise, we end up taking alot of extra formal wear for this one night. I think HAL should consider No Formal Nights in this situation. The normal 2 nights on a 7 day is fine with me.

DaveOKC

In packing for an upcoming cruise, it dawned on me that since we only have one formal night on this 6 days cruise, we end up taking alot of extra formal wear for this one night. I think HAL should consider No Formal Nights in this situation. The normal 2 nights on a 7 day is fine with me.

DaveOKC

Dave,

Very true, but some passengers might be looking forward to that one solitary formal night!

If you 'cross' with Cunard you will have 4 formal nights out of six and the other two nights are informal... not casual!

Stephen

Archived