Live from the Oosterdam - 3/13 Mexican Riviera

fgrsk8r

My parents and I embarked the MS Oosterdam on Saturday, 3/13 for our 7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise. This is the first time for either one of us on HAL and I was excited to take them on this cruise as it has been 25 years since their last cruise in Europe.

Embarkation was a little crazy because the 2nd ship (Celebrity Inspiration) seemed to have some kind of outbreak issue and nobody was allowed on ship for a while - so the line for security and luggage was super long and all the way down the sidewalk. Thankfully because my mother is disabled we were able to get in the front and drop off our checked luggage. We had one extra little carry on with 6 bottles of wine/bubbly and my laptop. After that check in was a breeze and we enjoyed a drink in the Lido Restaurant which was bustling with people. After a short while they announced our room was ready and we took our time to get there, letting everybody else go first.

I was excited to see the Verandah Suite I had booked for us and it didn't disappoint. Our Cabin Steward Sam is super nice as is everybody on the ship. They go out of their way to help you and I love the feel of the "O".

We were not allowed to serve ourselves in the Lido Restaurant during the first two days but today was the first time during lunch were we could take our own food from the Buffet. And the food has been exceptional except for a few tiny things that just were not my thing. Mom & I are not picky eaters and both the Lido Breakfast and Lunch buffet has always had way to many good things.... and don't get me started on the ice cream - it's divine! And did I mention the Eggs Benedict ???? Fresh and YUMMMMMMY.

Dinner in the Vista Dining room is also lovely and our Dining Steward Bobby is super nice and the menu is also fabulous. We have early fixed seating and really like that. Most people dressed up last night during Formal night and we also got our pictures taken. Now I have to say that at $39.95 for one phone it feels like a bit of a rip-off but the memories are worth it.

The only other thing I didn't care for but was prepared for was the pushing of Wine packages during the first day, or any kind of alcohol. But once I made it clear that mom and I don't want anything but ice water (which is really good) during dinner it has stopped.

Going out of SD was rocky and I was a little bit queasy on the first evening during dinner. We were rolling left and right like a humongous cradle.... and that's what we fell asleep to. The beds are divine as well !

We are nearing the end of day 3 (and our second day at sea) and I love it and am of course forever spoiled with this Verandah Suite and can only imagine being in a real suite ;-)

More after our two stops in Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta.....:)

We are home from San Diego and work has it's grip on me already LOL, but here is the continuation from our 7 day Mexican Cruise with my parents:

We arrived in Mazatlan, Mexica at 6:30 a.m. and lucky us - our Balcony was on the side where the sun came up and we were treated to a nice sunrise. We went to the Lido for a continental breakfast and then Dad and I got ready for our Excursion by foot to downtown Mazatlan. We grabbed a cab and it dropped us off in the center of Mazatlan at the beautiful Cathedral. The rest around the Cathedral was not very pretty but interesting to see none-the-less. They were just having mess at that time so we decided to start walking towards the beach. We found the main Strand and walked for quite a while and enjoyed the different scenery.

We turned around after an hour plus and walked in the opposite direction and then made our way back towards the town center to the church, but first bought a couple of bottles of water in a small side store. It was getting pretty hot and we were happy that we had started out so early. Since this was an excursion we did completely on our own we felt that we had seen enough and took an open cab back to the pier where we enjoyed a couple of beers and met some nice people from our ship.

After chatting with our friends for another 45 min or so we made our way back to the “O” and found mom sitting in the shade on the Lido deck. We were really warm so we enjoyed a dip in the pool and the jacuzzi and then the pool again :-) (my mom is walking disabled, so she didn't join us on the land excursions - which was just fine with her LOL).

Time for lunch which we enjoyed outside on the Lido this time.

Now it’s time to retreat to our Verandah again, where we can watch the people return to the ship and we are happy to be in the shade LOL.

Puerto Vallarta:

Dad and I had to get up early this morning because we had booked a day tour with Vallarta Adventures called “Two if by Sea”. (highly recommend it - booked through HAL). We got on our Catamaran "Boat 1” with the famous captain Poncho LOL.

We enjoyed a 90 min ride to a cove where many of the group snorkeled or did some kayaking. Dad and I stayed on board and just enjoyed the scenery and a beer. After 45 min. everybody was back on board enjoying some lunch and then we were off to Yelapa, the fishing village that can only be accessed by boat. We had to be tendered with the tiny boat to shore which of course was an adventure in itself. Getting the boat close enough to the beach so we could jump off. With each wave we got a little wet, but it was hot enough that we didn’t care.

We grabbed some of the free beach chairs reserved for our tour and sat down in the shade with a Corona. Life is good :-) except for the people trying to sell you stuff, but hey - it's all part of the adventure right? After a while we took a quick walk on the beach, but it was too hot and we sought out more shade and found it at the table of our friends we met in Mazatlan.

Back on the boat the party started and eventually most of the guests danced, cheered on by others. Dad and I danced too and then joined the conga line at the end. Great fun !!!

Back at the bay we had no issues getting back on ship and joined mom on our Verandah for a glass of wine we brought with us!

Dinner was great .... and since it was St. Paddy’s day they had a great Corned Beef and cabbage dish that I enjoyed and of course some of the fabulous ice cream they have on the “O”

Cabo San Lucas:

Today we are in Cabo San Lucas where we can’t dock at the pier but getting tendered ashore. However we decided to stay on the ship today and enjoy a beautiful day with few people around. Mom and Dad stayed on the Lido deck until lunch and then joined me on the Verandah for a glass of wine. The views all around us were great! I also decided to check out the Thermal Suite and Spa which was lovely, but of course as many of the services on any cruise-ship overpriced.

We are making it a lovely, easy day and then will enjoy our second and last formal night in the Dining room !

On our last Sea Day it was a little overcast, but that was perfect for me since I participated in the 5 K Walk for the Cure. Great fun and I made it in under an hour - who hoo LOL (it happens on Deck 3 on the "O" and takes 9 laps).

After the MCD it was time to pack and put our suitcases outside the door - the disembarkation presentation earlier that day with JT was fun and insightful and I would recommend anybody to attend it ! It put me more at ease with the process and how it would work.

We arrived in San Diego just a little late but to a beautiful sunrise and Disembarkation would have been quick, but some people didn't show up for Immigration in the Vista Lounge and we were delayed by 2 hours. This was not an issue for us since we drove in, but I felt bad for the people that most likely missed flights because of this.

We really enjoyed our first cruise on HAL and the lovely "O" and I would not hesitate to book another one!

I'll try to put up some photos if I can soon :-)

fgrsk8r,Did you happen to bring any menus back you could post?We're going on the "O" in three weeks.Thanks

Rick & Harriet

I am sorry, the only Menu I brought home is the MCD - I can scan that one if you are interested, but as many people here mentioned, they dislike this one.... or the hoopla around it ;-) (I didn't)

Glad ya'll like the photos....one more thing I forgot to mention since I posted food pictures. These photos (except the Eggs Benedict) where taken in the Main Dining room. We never tried another place as my dad is REALLY picky and it would have been a waste of money to try the Pinnacle. I made reservations at Canaletto but then cancelled them because we were so comfortable with our Dining Stewards and the menu in the MDR that we didn't want to risk it.... and honestly, we loved the food in the MDR !

Anyway - just for those of you that are interested :-) food was a big thing on this cruise LOL... The scale agrees too ;-)

Archived