For Upcoming Radiance Cruisers to Mexico

mrmac

Would you like to trade your stop at Acapulco for Manzanillo?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to trade your stop at Acapulco for Manzanillo?

• Yes, I'd rather stop in Manzanillo than Acapulco.
    • No, I still want to go to Acapulco.

For all the upcoming Radiance cruisers who are scheduled to visit Acapulco amid the continuing gang/drug cartel violence; should Royal Caribbean substitute Manzanillo for the troubled port of Acapulco?

I voted yes, but not because of the violence. I've been to Acapulco and haven't been to Manzanillo. I don't think that RCI will endanger a ship full of passengers if there's a State Department advisory saying tha tourists should stay away.

Jean........I think you would love Manzanillo!! It is so unfortunate that we are seeing more violence in any Mexican port or town, than in the past.

I know that my DW is headed out on April 12 and doing both.....and loves Manzanillo..........more than Acapulco!

Rick

For those going to both ports maybe they could overnight in Manzanillo or Zihua instead of stopping in Acapulco. I'm not usually shy about going to places as I know our crime rates in American cities are worse than most places ships visit. But this wave in certain Mexican cities (13 killed in Acapulco on Saturday including 5 policemen) is scary. The gang shootouts could occur anywhere in the city.

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/experts-americans-arent-safe-from-mexican-drug-wars/19402139

From the above article:

"The shootings in Juárez added to a particularly bloody weekend in Mexico. Fifteen people died in an early-morning shootout March 14 in the beach town of Acapulco, including a woman in a taxi killed by a stray bullet and a man who was quartered, according to the Guerrero newspaper Diario 21. The day before 11 victims were found in the popular spring break destination, including six police officers and four decapitated heads, and 20 others died amid the crossfire elsewhere in the state of Guerrero."

I called Royal C earlier this week to express my concern about the port of Acapulco and the Mexican Riviera cruise in general. The CS rep I spoke to knew nothing of the violence and stated "RC has no intention of changing the itinerary." I was disappointed by this ignorant response. 26 murders IS no small amount! I live in San Diego and used to travel down the Baja coast frequently, it's just not as safe right now. Check out the US Travel Consulate Warning RC!!

Archived