Hundreds get sick with intestinal bug on 3rd straight cruise

Loop

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Hundreds of passengers have taken ill with an intestinal bug on a Celebrity Cruise ship's third straight trip from South Carolina.

Cruise line spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez said Monday 350 of the 1,829 passengers on the Celebrity Mercury got ill during the latest cruise which left Charleston on March 8.

The ship has canceled a Monday port call and was returning to Charleston a day earlier than scheduled. It has been undergoing cleaning at sea and will be cleaned again in Charleston.

Officials say hundreds of passengers and crew got sick during two other cruises that returned to Charleston recently.

Tests linked the first outbreak to the common norovirus. The virus can spread quickly in closed quarters and is hard to eliminate because people who have been exposed can reinfect places they frequent.

Wonder if they will delay next cruise and clean ship for a day?

four days I believe.

My sister and I were booked for the cruise leaving March 19th. I got a call from Celebrity last night and they are delaying the cruise for two days and will leave on the 21rst. They are cutting Belize City from the itinierary and will be returnng as scheduled on the 30th.

We had the option of going at the later date and getting 2 days worth of OBC and 25% of the cost of the cruise for a future cruise credit or canceling and getting 100% refund and 15% on a future cruise credit. I have a compromised immune system so we chose to cancel :(

No amount of cleaning will help if the sick people of SC keep getting on the ship. The virus is growing like wildfire there! My niece is a student at the College of Charleston.

Hey these Celebrity passengers are not all from South Carolina!! That virus is everywhere. There are many other states and countries represented on this ship..

I suspect that a large number of travelers from South Carolina have been on those cruises. Studies have shown that many local passengers often sail from home cruise ports.

And SC has had an outbreak of Norovirus around the state.

February 25, 2010..."We don't hear much about swine flu these days, but now there's a new bug going around. The State Department of Health and Environmental Control says the Norovirus, what most of us call the stomach flu, is running rampant around South Carolina.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=421976

Hey these Celebrity passengers are not all from South Carolina!!

Maybe, but how many does it take ?

If noro is prevalent in the city it's more likely to be brought aboard. Perhaps they need to quarantine the port !

Still, Mercury is due to head for Alaska in a month or so - see the Tuesday special today.

And it is being picked up in restaurants and local hotels. There are so many cases down here not associated with cruise ships. Unfortunately the hotels, etc. don't have to clean like the cruise ship. People pick it up somewhere and bring it onboard! :(

and a 25% discount on a future cruise. If the Center for Disease Control and Prevention said the ship was not safe, I don't know HOW Celebrity can set sail.

This is just another example of corporate greed in my opinion. They do not have the right to risk the health of that many people.

The 30th!????? I have a cruise booked on Mercury out of Charleston that leaves on the 29th. So I think that has to be incorrect.

I'm sorry, I'm wrong. It's the 29th not the 30th. Sorry.

and a 25% discount on a future cruise. If the Center for Disease Control and Prevention said the ship was not safe, I don't know HOW Celebrity can set sail.

This is just another example of corporate greed in my opinion. They do not have the right to risk the health of that many people.

That 25% is towards a future cruise in addition to the on-board compensation people are getting. People have also received all their money back as well if they chose not to sail. All passengers who have been affected by this outbreak the past three cruises and the upcoming cruise have been compensated and will be compensated. People were given the option on not sailing and getting refunded.

From articles I have read, Celebrity did not sail without CDC go ahead. They are following all CDC recommendations, which is why they will not sail until Sunday after arriving back on Thursday (1 day early). The company IS NOT risking the health of that many people. As indicated in the articles about this, they are working with the CDC at all times. I guess my company is risking my health by making me come to work where there has been an outbreak here as well. Oh, BTW, I did get the virus as a result of coming to work. I guess I need to get further compensation for that.

It is unfortunate that this has happened, but as a culture, maybe we should take a little more care and responsibility in ourselves. It is to the point where it is always someone else who is as fault.

I wish everyone who has been affected by this virus the best. I will be sailing on the 29th on Mercury, and I CANNOT WAIT TO GET ON AND CONGRATULATE EVERY CREW PERSON I SEE FOR DEALING WITH THIS!! They have been dealing with this too. This affects them in more ways than just extra work and cleaning.

I say we blame it on South Carolina and quarantine the state. I still haven't forgiven them for starting the Civil War.

Celebrity should get the heck out of there and bring the Mercury back to Baltimore.

Stirrin' the pot.

Rich

Rich - thanks for a small laugh in the midst of all this stress.

This virus is all over and no one is to "blame". It's just that time of the year. This year it's worse.

Parrothead1 is my son and I saw him in the middle of his bout with the virus. Not pretty (sorry JK). We've been fortunate and have escaped this so far. But we are cautious.

The CDC will help determine our travel plans, but right now I'm heading for Charleston next Friday.

If the ship was quarantined by the CDC a few cruises ago then I'd be worried. But they allowed her to sail and thought the problem was solved. Therefore, someone is bringing this virus on board.

If this cleansing of the terminal and ship for 4 days doesn't work I suspect Celebrity will re-consider sailing out of the port for the balance of the cruises. What a shame. Charleston is a beautiful city and we look forward to visiting next week.

We also will congratulate the crew when we finally board for doing what they can to keep everyone safe. Yes, they live on the ship and, yes, they are more likely to come into contact with noro more frequently than those of us who sail ships.

I anxiously await the CDC's decision this time around.

Rich, any more laughs you can provide might help ease the tension on these boards lately.

Pat C

In complete agreement with Parrothead. Celebrity does all it can in these situations. There are even CDC personnel onboard sometimes to see that all is being done according to their recommendations. (I have been on Mercury during a noro outbreak in the past.)

The wonderful crew members (and Mercury has a fantastic crew) work around the clock disinfecting surfaces. They must all be exhausted after these three cruises.

Parrothead, I hope this thing is under control for your upcoming cruise. They will undoubtedly do everything they can possibly do to make it safe for you. Give my best to Cruisebunny & the kids!

Doris

Doris - hi, I've heard so much about you from CB & Parrothead1.

I agree. Maybe a suggestion would be to have the CDC bring in IT'S crews to sanitize the ship. Then the crew would get a well deserved break.

Just a suggestion. Even Celebrity could replace some of the crew to give them a small bit of relief from all the extra cleaning and taking care of the passengers.

This would also guarantee that any crew member who might have the virus would not re-board and a new crew would be "clean". I know it sounds like a big change but it's only a small suggestion.

Have a good day all.

Pat

Pat, have heard much about you from your kids too! One day we shall cruise together, no doubt!

Yes, the crew needs some kind of relief. We have seen this firsthand, they are working their regular assignments and during hours off they are on "spray and wash" duty with the bleach solution. They get so very tired, but still manage to greet you and smile whenever they see you.

Hoping and praying you and all your family and friends have a safe and fun cruise! Wish we were going too! I will be watching the reports for the "all clear" - it can't come too soon.

Doris

Mercury again?!!!!

We were on one of the several continuous Mercury Mexican Riviera Virus cruises a while back. Sick as dogs. At least folks now are getting a warning and a chance to cancel the cruise.

So it goes.

DDWW

PatC

Sorry to hear about your son's problems with this. I hope it all works out soon since Charleston is a beautiful city and potentially, a great cruise port. On our Mercury cruise out of Baltimore last November, we had a port day there which we really enjoyed. I also have friends down there, one of whom teaches music at the College of Charleston. For a while we were going down there every year for the Spoleto Festival which was always a great time.

But I still say bring the Mercury back to Baltimore. We have crabs, but you can knock those suckers out with a wooden mallet, melted butter and some Old Bay. :)

Rich

Hey PH (and CB) -- Good luck with the up-coming cruise. There was a much smaller noro outbreak on our Azamara Asia cruise last month. The most annoying part was that you couldn't just pour your own coffee at the buffet. And, if that is the most annoying part...well, I can live with that. Just wash your hands A LOT. We always bring a bottle of liquid soap to encourage ourselves to wash more. Our hands were dry as raisins by the end of the cruise. But, they recovered!

Hey PH (and CB) -- Good luck with the up-coming cruise. There was a much smaller noro outbreak on our Azamara Asia cruise last month. The most annoying part was that you couldn't just pour your own coffee at the buffet. And, if that is the most annoying part...well, I can live with that. Just wash your hands A LOT. We always bring a bottle of liquid soap to encourage ourselves to wash more. Our hands were dry as raisins by the end of the cruise. But, they recovered!

Hey Darren - Thanks!! Saw your picture on Facebook - Loved your plane seat and all your pictures. Looks like you had a great time!!

Archived