Millennium embarkation in Venice

Tarheeler

We got to the ship around 3:30 after our flights from the states and waiting for handicapped transportation from the Venice airport (my wife is in a wheelchair) and I can tell you that we were one of the last to get on, the lines at the dock building were non-existant so they must be loading much before 2. They couldn't have gotten all 1900 people on in just an hour and a half.

We arrived in Venice from New york at 10:30AM Venice time. We were at the ship by 12Noon and boarded immediately after checking in. There were some already onboard at that time but most of the flights from the U.S. only start arriving around then.

We were there in 2003. We boarded the ship around 11:30 AM. Go straight to the port/ship even if you have to wait to board as the ship is NOT docked close at all to St Marks Square and you will not want to schlep your luggage with you around Venice pre-board as, unless you have a day pass on the water buses, you will have to pay additional for each piece of luggage you bring on board. Plus, you can't do much sightseeing with luggage in tow. Once you're on board, there are complimentary water transfers from the ship to St Marks Square.

When we disembarked in Venice last summer we were one of last groups off the ship and we were off by 9am, Thought they were going to let people on by around 11. My advice is to enjoy Venice for a day or two before you board the Millie. That is one of my favorite cities, walking around the Rialto area, taking a trip to Murano, walking the first Jewish Ghetto, doing the secrest Doges Palace tour, listening to the violins in St Marco at night....I could go on and on.. stay a day or to before you will enjoy your cruise that much more and allow you to get acustom to the time change also

• 3 weeks later...

We are going from Barcelona to Venice on the M in June. We want to stay a few days in Baacelona and then five to seven days in Italy after the cruise. I am interested in any advise on either a tour and where to stay and what is a must to see that would differ from the cruise. you can email me or reply via cruise critic.

Are you staying in Venice or do you want to go to different areas in Italy. For Barcelona the one restuarant I would highly rec, is Le Quinze Nits(sic?). They open at around 8 for dinner, so make sure you get there around 7:30 and wait in line....you will be able tget a table at that point. Otherwise you will have to wait at least an hour. We have found it to be one of the best places to eat.

If you stay in Venice, the hotel we stayed at was the Hotel Ala, very reasonable, very nice, clean a/c(which many are not)....just a short walk to San Marco. In the square Santa Maria de Gigglio(right next to the church and around the corner a Vapretto stop....very convient.

What we did was prebook the Doges Secret Palace Tour, via the vistvenice website. They do not charge you until you pick up the tickets, but you must prebook as they only allow 15 people on the tour and do it around 3 times a day only in the morning. They take you to the secret passageways and offices oif the Doges and the whre Cassanova was imprisoned. Also have your hotel arrange for a private water taxi to Murano, they will leave you at a factory where you can see them blow glass, short tour and you do not have to buy anything and they will give you a ticket to return to San Marco(going by Taxi the driver gave us a short tour of the islands we were passing) Go the fish market near Rialto for lunch, the Jewish Ghetto(at the museum they will give a guided tour) At night sit down for the most expensive cup of coffee you have ever had, but listen to the most wonderful violin music. Stop and have a gelleto(makes our ice cream not worthwhile

Stop and feed the pigeons and vist the bell tower, the church....Venice is my favorite city in the world, that I have been in......enjoy

• 1 month later...

thanks for the info on Venice. I have not gotten back to this site since Feb. Time is getting short so I guess I need to make up my mind and get the last of the land reservations made. I appreciate your input.

Time2seelots

We too will be doing the Venice-Barcelona cruise on the Millie in October. Debating whether to arrange for transportation from the airport to the ship through Celebrity or try to do it on our own. Your recommendations would be appreciated. In the past we have done it both ways - on our own and prearranged; however, never in Venice with the Canals.

Archived