Miami hotel with kids?

youngestof9

I'm going blind reading all of the suggestions for different Miami hotels - shuttles/no shuttles, close to pier, close to beach. ahhhhh I'm so confused!!

I'm looking for a 1 night pre-cruise with my husband and 2 kids (12 and 5 at sailing). Any suggestions for reasonable hotel that won't cost an arm and a leg to get from the airport and then to the port?

It's so different when you factor in having the kids! Want to make sure we can walk to somewhere decent for dinner (would rather eat in a restaurant not in the hotel).

Thanks for any suggestions/experience.

When do you arrive? Flying in or driving? What do you want - downtown? Beach?

If you are flying into MIA, arrving late and just want a clean, safe place for the night then look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near the airport. Free shuttle and several dining and shopping options within a few minutes walk. Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon is often suggested on these boards. No beach and no downtown:eek: - you are out near the airport. A cab to POM the next morning will run you about $26+tip.

If you are arrving earlier and want to see some of Miami or Miami Beach, you have many options which are only limited by time and your budget. Check these boards and Blue Heron's blog for suggestions. Downtown hotels do not offer a free airport shuttle or free parking; a cab from MIA to downtown will cost about $25 and parking fees are usually between $20-30/day.:mad: A cab to Miami Beach/South Beach will be more. Cabs from downtown to the port will run $10-12, more from Miami Beach.

Tell these boards your desires, budget and time frame (summer can be cheap, spring can be very expensive) and we'll offer more suggestions. Good luck!:)

Thank you :)

I'm flying into MIA in January on a Friday and won't land until 4:00 and then getting on the cruise on Saturday morning. So not really much time.

More than anything I just wanted a decent hotel where we can walk to a nice dinner. The Blue Lagoon area does sound like what I need. I'll check out the Hampton you suggest. I didn't expect to see much considering I'll barely be there 24 hours!! Just wanted to fly in the day before because it is winter in my neck of the woods :)

Thanks so much!

We stayed at the Homewood Suites last spring break; which is just around the corner and 2 blocks from the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon. Both are fine, we just went with the lower cost. Directly across the street from the Hampton Inn was a grocery store, a liquor store, a Chinese restaurant, and a couple other stores and dining locations within a little strip mall. The hotels have a free shuttle from MIA that picks up one floor above where you get your luggage. In Miami the taxi fee is fixed at $24 per taxi to the port, whereas the cost is not fixed from the hotels to the port. So what we did was in the morning is to take the free shuttle back to the airport and then went down one floor to the taxi stand. At the taxi stand the "manager" picked out the largest cab for our family and all our luggage (including car seat). Still was only $24 plus tip.

On Google Earth you can locate these hotels. Also follow the street north from in front of the Hampton Inn towards the airport and the interstate. Near this intersection is a nice sit down restaurant, not sure of the name, but it is listed on Google Earth. We just did the Chinese.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon last October and it was great. We have a 5 year old and McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's are all right there. (Wendy's is hiding behind the Walgreens). Publix across the street in a strip mall that includes Game Stop. We of course had to check out what games were available there for the PSP.

Walgreens right across the parking lot and a CVS kitty corner. I felt very comfortable walking over to Walgreens by myself (30 yo and 4'10"). DH watched me walk over from the hotel room while DS was napping.

In June, we'll be staying at the Homewood suites which is a tad further from the shopping/dining, but we have mother in law coming with us and we thought a 2 bedroom would be nice before getting crammed in a balcony cabin for a week.

If it were just the 3 of us, Hampton Inn would be our choice.

Archived