Anyone on Destiny now?

jratly

My son texted me that he and roommate were both sick last night and ended up at medical. They were given medicine and are confined to their room with a security guard by the door. I have very little other information but just wondered if it was something going around the ship. I know they were in Jamaica yesterday so there's no telling what they picked up. I wonder what they did with the other two in the room as well?

Hope your son is ok. Please keep us posted with any info you can get... my wife and I are boarding on Sunday.

My daughter and her friend boarded Destiny yesterday afternoon. After a chicken dinner, her friend became violently ill with severe vomiting and gastrointestinal problems. Her friend has now been quarantined to the room. They would have gotten off the ship in the Keys and rented a car to go home. The cruise line will not permit them to disembark. So..now they are stuck on the ship and probably will not be able to get off in Mexico. Went to the infirmary, they wanted to charge 129.00 for the visit and 50.00 for the prescription. The excursions that were booked will also be lost. They are not being kept informed as to whether any other passengers are sick. I would like to know if anyone else became ill after eating in the dining room. Her friend was perfectly well prior to boarding the ship and eating dinner.

We will be on the ship Monday, March 22. I would be interested in knowing more about the illness aboard the ship.

Thanks.

My daughter and her friend boarded the Destiny yesterday, Thursday. After eating a chicken dinner, her friend became violently ill with severe vomiting and gastrointestinal problems. Her friend has now been quarantined to the room for at least 24 hours. They wanted to disembark in the Keys, rent a car and go home. The cruise line has refused to let them disembark. Probably won't be permitted off in Mexico either. The excursions booked will be lost. The infirmary wanted $129 for the visit and $50 for a prescription. If the illness is due to food poisioning, we will never know. It would seem that they should be given a credit if that was the case. In any case, the vacation was ruined before it ever got started. Everyone else in the group ate steak and did not become ill. Good luck on the cruise. Hope to hear how the cruise goes.

We are going on the Destiny in April, I would really like an update on this situation. Especially after watching GMA today about the 3 wk virus on celebrity.

My daughter and her friend boarded the Destiny yesterday. They were well when they boarded. After eating a chicken dinner, her friend became violently ill with severe vomiting and gastrointestinal problems. Now quarantined to their room. They wanted to disembark in the Keys, rent a car and go home. The cruise line will not permit them to disembark. Their scheduled excursions are lost. The infirmary wanted $129 for a visit and $50 for a prescription. They are not being kept informed about anything. Their vacation was ruined before it ever got started.

My son texted me that he and roommate were both sick last night and ended up at medical. They were given medicine and are confined to their room with a security guard by the door. I have very little other information but just wondered if it was something going around the ship. I know they were in Jamaica yesterday so there's no telling what they picked up. I wonder what they did with the other two in the room as well?

We just came off the Destiny (3/13/10-3/18/10) and I am positive we had an outbreak of norovirus. On the second day they began serving everything on the buffet and everywhere else. No one was allowed to touch a serving utensil. I told my family then that I was pretty sure we had an outbreak.

Then later in the cruise I overheard a passenger on the phone with her TA (I assume) telling her that she needed to get in touch with Carnival and demand a complete refund because Carnival had given her daughter food poisoning and then on top of that quarentined her to her stateroom. Mom was VERY upset - yelling and screaming how Carnival had completely ruined their cruise. I could tell she wasn't getting too far with the person on the other end. Mom finally began yelling about how she was going to sue Carnival because they gave her daughter food poisoning.

At that time I made sure my family was fully aware and very careful about their hygiene from then on.

I did notice that the dining room seemed very empty the last night. I have no idea if people decided to eat at the buffet, or if possibly there were a lot of ill people on the ship by that time.

I am pretty sure your son and his friends didn't get anything from Jamaica -- I think they just had an old fashioned case of the stomach flu -- probably caught on board ship.

We just came off the Destiny (3/13/10-3/18/10) and I am positive we had an outbreak of norovirus. On the second day they began serving everything on the buffet and everywhere else. No one was allowed to touch a serving utensil. I told my family then that I was pretty sure we had an outbreak.

Then later in the cruise I overheard a passenger on the phone with her TA (I assume) telling her that she needed to get in touch with Carnival and demand a complete refund because Carnival had given her daughter food poisoning and then on top of that quarentined her to her stateroom. Mom was VERY upset - yelling and screaming how Carnival had completely ruined their cruise. I could tell she wasn't getting too far with the person on the other end. Mom finally began yelling about how she was going to sue Carnival because they gave her daughter food poisoning.

At that time I made sure my family was fully aware and very careful about their hygiene from then on.

I did notice that the dining room seemed very empty the last night. I have no idea if people decided to eat at the buffet, or if possibly there were a lot of ill people on the ship by that time.

I am pretty sure your son and his friends didn't get anything from Jamaica -- I think they just had an old fashioned case of the stomach flu -- probably caught on board ship.

Ugh. I'm about to cruise on the Destiny on 1 April, and I'm pregnant. The last thing I need is some stomach virus outbreak. I hope more people will comment on this and let us know whether there seems to be a problem. I'm guessing Carnival will deny it if asked unless they get hundreds of sick passengers.

I believe that we need clarity on what happens on Destiny. The engines are the whims, the programs of the cruise subject to change, now also the Virus! I wanted to book for June, wait a little. Or book with another company. What do you say it's better to do? Hello, Mike

Cruising on the Destiny in May...I'm curious to see if there was an actual outbreak, or if it was some isolated cases of food poisoning, etc. Few things could be worse than being stuck in a cabin all week, and I'm sorry to hear about the experiences some have had...

Just off Destiny today 3/18-3/22 cruise to Key West and Cozumel. There were 20 of us. No one had any stomach problems in our group and I didn't hear of any "outbreak" on the ship. Not saying it didn't happen - I just didn't hear of or see anything out of the ordinary. Our group did have several people (6) come down with a fever and cough. I pack everything but the kitchen sink including my own little pharmacy and it certainly came in handy. Not sure if they contracted it on the ship or brought it on from home (we all live in the same area). But the people that came down with it had cold symptoms (congestions and cough) and were running a fever. Luckily, it didn't hit until the last day of cruise so they were able to enjoy most of the cruise and just stayed in their rooms yesterday.

Archived