What do you guys think about this?

amocksun

This same info comes out around Spring Break time each year! Unless you are vacationing near the US/Mexico boarder, you will be fine. I've been to Mexico about 10 times and have never had even a small issue. Always felt safe!!

Have a good trip...enjoy!!

Go on your cruise and enjoy Cozumel. It is like all the other tourist towns. You must always be cautious of your whereabouts. Things can and do happen all the time. As long as you are aware of where you are and what is going on you should be fine. We have been to Cozumel at least 10 times, and never had a problem. We will go into town (San Miguel) many times, and we walk the streets for shopping, and go a few blocks back, and never ran into any problems.

Thanks. I just want to explain that I am a person who freaks out over every tiny little thing. I'm basically a hypochondriac, and every little thing worries me.

Now, I fight this a lot, and do OK with it, but for years I've wanted to travel SO bad and have been terrified that my fear of flying, boats, earthquakes, diseases, everything would hold me back. I've even had nightmares where I'd win a trip and couldn't go.

So anyway, booking this trip has been a huge step for me, and feels like a dream come true. Then my idiot "friend" goes on my FB and says "American tourists are getting killed left and right over there. They found 16 bodies chopped up."

I didn't find anything to confirm that-but I havent' searched that hard either. I've read that Cozumel is like the safest place in Mexico, but we were going to go to Tulum, which is a little ways onto the mainland.

I don't know. I'm worried now, and it's really pissing me off.

I read 3 of them and they were about people that drowned. That could happen anywhere. I'll still be going to Mexico in June and I'll swim and snorkel as much as I can. If you're ever caught in a riptide don't try to swim to shore, swim parallel to the shore until you're out of the riptide, then swim towards shore.

My friend said that Mexican police were killing American tourists...anyone hear about that?

Your friend doesn't sound like much of a friend.

We spent 5 days in Cozumel last summer and never felt unsafe. We walked all over town - night and day, attended a fiesta in the town square, and two public parties thrown by politicians competing in an election that week. We went across to the mainland and hired a taxi to take us to Tulum, then Akumal and back to Playa de Carmen where we spent several hours strolling the streets and beaches. I would go back tomorrow and do it all again.

I hope you go and enjoy your trip so much that you embrace travel for the adventure it is from here on out.

And unfriend that "friend"!

Haha, thanks! Yea, she's a psycho.

The taxi to Tulum, you guys did that without any type of "excusion" guide? How much did it all cost? How long did it take to get from the ship to Tulum? Would you recommend knowing some Spanish if we did that? We will only be docked in Cozumel for about 9 hours, would that put us at risk for missing the departure?

Last time I was there, we had an earthquake and some diseased monkeys came in flying boats and abducted us. But that almost never happens on a Sunday. You will be going there on a Sunday, right?????

On a more serious note. You should be more scared of your bathroom, kitchen, or car. They are much more dangerous than any of the things you mentioned.

Now, I fight this a lot, and do OK with it, but for years I've wanted to travel SO bad and have been terrified that my fear of flying, boats, earthquakes, diseases, everything would hold me back.

Haha, thanks! Yea, she's a psycho.

The taxi to Tulum, you guys did that without any type of "excusion" guide? How much did it all cost? How long did it take to get from the ship to Tulum? Would you recommend knowing some Spanish if we did that? We will only be docked in Cozumel for about 9 hours, would that put us at risk for missing the departure?

Honestly, if you are docking in Cozumel, I would stick to the beaches/excursions in Cozumel and wait and do Tulum on a land vacation, or on a cruise that docks in Calica (Playa de Carmen). If you are really set on going to Tulum from Cozumel, then I would recommend doing it through the ship, especially since you are new to traveling and a self-admitted worrier. There is quite a bit of travel time involved in getting there from Coz. You have to take a ferry over to the mainland and back, and they are subject to the delays that all maritime vehicles are subject to - weather, mechanical, capt overslept, whatever. If you do the excursion through the ship, you won't have to worry about the ship leaving you if the group is delayed for whatever reason. I think if you take that worry away, you will enjoy the day a lot more. I have never done an excursion thru the ship, but that is the one that I would.

But to answer you question, we just found a taxi driver at the ferry pier. He had a nice, air-conditioned van. We paid $100 (split between 2 couples) and he was with us from about 9:30am until 3:30. He took us to Tulum and waited while we did that and then took us to the Yalkul (sp?) lagoon in Akumal for snorkeling and waited on us there. We spend a couple of hours in each place. Then he took us back to Play de Carmen where we stayed until about 9pm when we caught the ferry back to Coz. It was a long day...fun, but long. And we do know a little Spanish, about as much as anyone from Texas. It helped a little, but it's not necessary. If you have an iPhone, you can get an app that will convert English to Spanish, and also a currency converter.

Let us know what you decide to do, and enjoy it whatever it is.

Oh, I'm afraid of that stuff too :)

Last time I was there, we had an earthquake and some diseased monkeys came in flying boats and abducted us. But that almost never happens on a Sunday. You will be going there on a Sunday, right?????

On a more serious note. You should be more scared of your bathroom, kitchen, or car. They are much more dangerous than any of the things you mentioned.

Ok, thanks! We have already booked the one going to Cozumel for the sole reason of seeing ruins, because I'm really into that. I'm basically just trying to decide between Tulum and San Gervasio ( I haven't booked the excursion yet). The only reason I'm hesitating about Tulum is because it'll take all day and I would like to find time for a beach party. But I mean, seeing the ruins IS the reason we're going there, so what does it matter if it takes all day, right?

Honestly, if you are docking in Cozumel, I would stick to the beaches/excursions in Cozumel and wait and do Tulum on a land vacation, or on a cruise that docks in Calica (Playa de Carmen). If you are really set on going to Tulum from Cozumel, then I would recommend doing it through the ship, especially since you are new to traveling and a self-admitted worrier. There is quite a bit of travel time involved in getting there from Coz. You have to take a ferry over to the mainland and back, and they are subject to the delays that all maritime vehicles are subject to - weather, mechanical, capt overslept, whatever. If you do the excursion through the ship, you won't have to worry about the ship leaving you if the group is delayed for whatever reason. I think if you take that worry away, you will enjoy the day a lot more. I have never done an excursion thru the ship, but that is the one that I would.

But to answer you question, we just found a taxi driver at the ferry pier. He had a nice, air-conditioned van. We paid $100 (split between 2 couples) and he was with us from about 9:30am until 3:30. He took us to Tulum and waited while we did that and then took us to the Yalkul (sp?) lagoon in Akumal for snorkeling and waited on us there. We spend a couple of hours in each place. Then he took us back to Play de Carmen where we stayed until about 9pm when we caught the ferry back to Coz. It was a long day...fun, but long. And we do know a little Spanish, about as much as anyone from Texas. It helped a little, but it's not necessary. If you have an iPhone, you can get an app that will convert English to Spanish, and also a currency converter.

Let us know what you decide to do, and enjoy it whatever it is.

Ok, thanks! We have already booked the one going to Cozumel for the sole reason of seeing ruins, because I'm really into that. I'm basically just trying to decide between Tulum and San Gervasio ( I haven't booked the excursion yet). The only reason I'm hesitating about Tulum is because it'll take all day and I would like to find time for a beach party. But I mean, seeing the ruins IS the reason we're going there, so what does it matter if it takes all day, right?

What over stops is your ship making? Maybe you can make one of those stops the beach party day. The Tulum trip is not going to leave any time for a beach party that day, and if you're into that sort of thing, I think the San Gervasio ruins will probably be a disappointment. However, it would be easy to see those and still have plenty of beach time.

If it's not too late to change ships, I'd try to find one that docks at Calica. That would give you time to do Tulum and the beach.

Good luck!

Ok, I'll lok into that- though I think this was all we could afford. Our budget was basically the cheapest they had. It's stopping in Key West, which is only like from 7 30 AM to 2 I think. And we have a day at sea, which will be "pig out, lay in the hot tub and drink" day. Again, the excursion from Tulum is supposed to return at 8, and then we will leave at 10. I think we'll probably do that and hope we can find something else to do? I don't know! This is tough.

What over stops is your ship making? Maybe you can make one of those stops the beach party day. The Tulum trip is not going to leave any time for a beach party that day, and if you're into that sort of thing, I think the San Gervasio ruins will probably be a disappointment. However, it would be easy to see those and still have plenty of beach time.

If it's not too late to change ships, I'd try to find one that docks at Calica. That would give you time to do Tulum and the beach.

Good luck!

Sometimes the cruiseline offers an excursion that includes Tuluum and some time at a beach on the mainland. Look to see if this is offered. I would definitely go with the cruiseline for this one though- and I'm normally a person who recommends independent excursions.

When you get back from Tulum, you will probably be too tired to do much. Some of the restaurants/bars at the pier will probably be hopping until the last guy stumbles back on the ship. Depending on which pier you are docked at, there will be a Senor Frogs/Fat Tuesdays/Carlos 'N Charlies..something like that. You will be able to have some drinks there and have fun. Then go back to the ship and have another drink while watching the late people run to get on the ship before it leaves.

Thanks guys! We will probably be those last people stumbling back onto the ship lol.

Btw, what can you do at Tulum? It sayd you can explore on your own, can you go in?

Also, we'd love to eat somewhere local, but also somewhere known to be safe (from what I understand, this means they clean the food with bottled water and use it to make ice). I keep hearing Senor Frogs mentioned-are they corporate?

Thanks guys! We will probably be those last people stumbling back onto the ship lol.

Btw, what can you do at Tulum? It sayd you can explore on your own, can you go in?

Also, we'd love to eat somewhere local, but also somewhere known to be safe (from what I understand, this means they clean the food with bottled water and use it to make ice). I keep hearing Senor Frogs mentioned-are they corporate?

You can't go in or climb on any of the ruins at Tulum. You can explore on your own, but you have to stay on the paths. I would recommend taking one of the guided tours. There is a little village with some shops and performers..there is a hut there to sign up for a guided tour. I think it was about $10/pp...something like that...and included a ride on the tram from the village to ruins and back. Our guide was very knowledgable and a great story teller. I don't think we would have gotten as much out of the trip if we had done it on our own.

Senor Frogs is a chain, but it is a lot of fun. The food is ok, more Tex-Mex than real Mexican, but that's ok with us. It is definitely a party atmosphere.

Thanks. I just want to explain that I am a person who freaks out over every tiny little thing. I'm basically a hypochondriac, and every little thing worries me.

Now, I fight this a lot, and do OK with it, but for years I've wanted to travel SO bad and have been terrified that my fear of flying, boats, earthquakes, diseases, everything would hold me back. I've even had nightmares where I'd win a trip and couldn't go.

So anyway, booking this trip has been a huge step for me, and feels like a dream come true. Then my idiot "friend" goes on my FB and says "American tourists are getting killed left and right over there. They found 16 bodies chopped up."

I didn't find anything to confirm that-but I havent' searched that hard either. I've read that Cozumel is like the safest place in Mexico, but we were going to go to Tulum, which is a little ways onto the mainland.

I don't know. I'm worried now, and it's really pissing me off.

Wow! Remind me again why this individual is a friend? I'd never involve myself with someone so negative, especially when she knows your are planning to travel for your honeymoon. Lol..Bad things happen EVERYWHERE! Mexico isnt Mars..Lol People are always talking about other countries like nothing bad ever happends in the US and believe it or not it does. If you are so overwhelmed with traveling and this and that you first need to get over that or you will NEVER have fun anywhere. I never heard someone have so many fears..But hey get over it. You only live once so enjoy it. :D

PS: I'd recommend going on sites like tripadvisor.com, you are able to read reviews on anything and anyone. Scuba Tony is number 1 on there (for Cozumel) I think and he does do tours as well so you might find something he can provide for you.

For personal safety and travel advisories I recommend going on sites like the US Dept of State (travel.state.gov)

Make your decision on knowlegde not fear or wishing it just ain't so.

If you look here you'll see that there is a Travel Warning issued. But as others have pointed out it is not for all of Mexico, mostly the border towns with the US.

They write in part:

"While millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year (including tens of thousands who cross the land border daily for study, tourism or business and nearly one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico), violence in the country has increased. It is imperative that U.S. citizens understand the risks in Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and who to contact if victimized. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where prostitution and drug dealing might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable." My emphasis in bold.

So be aware that there *is* an official Travel Warning for certain areas, that there is *no* warning for other areas, to not hang out in those drug dealing areas :eek: LOL and have a great trip!

We have had a great vacation in Mexico and looking forward to another visit.

PS. Good suggestion RosiesCruising to check out tripadvisor.com - great first-hand advice (as there is here on CC!)

PPS. I have a SIL who's worry over things can somewhat limiting her activities so I can understand a little of how you may be feeling. I am sure it is not at all easy to overcome but try to keep these things in perspective. Congratulations on stepping up and booking this trip! A great first step with many more to come.

Frogs is DEFINITELY corporate. Iodine solution is also added to tap water, and it makes it safe for washing vegatables. In the grocery stores, there is usually a display with the solution, so that you don't have to use purified water. I would imagine that restaurants also use the Iodine, which is perfectly safe and hygienic.

Casa Denis, right on the Main Square, is a very good local place for food and awesome margaritas. If you don't want to be hounded by local merchants, cross the street, so that you are walking on the sidewalk, adjacent to the water, or better yet, take a taxi from the pier and tell them you want to go to the Square (a.k.a. Zocalo).

Oh, and yes, for drinking and ice, restaurants do use purified water. I've drank iodine treated tap water, and there is a bit of an off flavor, and you would probably notice that.

This site http://www.mexicovacationawareness.com/victims.html

My friend is trying to scare me out of going on my honeymoon. I've been a little worried anyway because I've always heard Mexico is dangerous.

Tell her thanks and she is no longer invited to the wedding. Go and have a great time. Most of these were accidents or in the drug areas near the U.S. border. Tijuana.....well, high school kids shouldn't be there. Be aware of your surroundings and be smart, like you would in a local city and you will be fine.

Archived