Gonna be in Nassau next Wednesday...opinions needed.

moopdog

We're in Nassua next Wed 3/24. My original plan: me, DH & two kids (7 & 9) get off the ship, take #10 bus to Sheraton/Whyndam resort and spend a few hours in their pools, on their beach, etc. Then grab a light lunch, head back towards ship & do a little bit of shopping.

If time permits, possibly clean up quickly on the ship (if we're sandy & wet) & then take a ferry to Atlantis to see aquarium to finish out the day. Hours in port: 8 AM - 6 PM.

Now...is this a realistic and good plan? The weather is "supposed" to be a high of 74 and partly cloudy. Is this good water-swimming weather for the Bahamas? I don't mind skipping the beach & pools if it will be too cold because I'd rather not dissapoint ourselves by freezing and not wanting to be in the water after making the plan to have a "beach day". In that case we'd just plan to go touring instead. Advice, please? Thanks!!:o

This seems like an awful lot of rushing around. Count on a half hour to get from the ship to Sheraton (and another half hour back). 4 people getting showers - another hour. The ferry to Paradise Island only leaves every half hour and it's not a speed boat. Then you have to be back on the ship about an hour before sailing, so you'd have to leave Atlantis by 4:30 at the latest. (Scubagirrl, please help me with these times.) That doesn't leave much time to actually enjoy anything.

Personally, I would either do Sheraton/shop or Atlantis/shop but not Sheraton/Atlantis. You're in the islands - slow down and savour it. :)

This seems like an awful lot of rushing around. Count on a half hour to get from the ship to Sheraton (and another half hour back). 4 people getting showers - another hour. The ferry to Paradise Island only leaves every half hour and it's not a speed boat. Then you have to be back on the ship about an hour before sailing, so you'd have to leave Atlantis by 4:30 at the latest. (Scubagirrl, please help me with these times.) That doesn't leave much time to actually enjoy anything.

Personally, I would either do Sheraton/shop or Atlantis/shop but not Sheraton/Atlantis. You're in the islands - slow down and savour it. :)

Yes, I guess you're right. I figured I was being to overzealous. But, then if it's too chilly for pool or ocean water, I can skip that whole first part. If it's warm enough, I can probably live without seeing Atlantis (unless that would be considered crazy?!). Hoping someone has an opinion on the weather/swimming situation.

We're in Nassua next Wed 3/24. My original plan: me, DH & two kids (7 & 9) get off the ship, take #10 bus to Sheraton/Whyndam resort and spend a few hours in their pools, on their beach, etc. Then grab a light lunch, head back towards ship & do a little bit of shopping.

If time permits, possibly clean up quickly on the ship (if we're sandy & wet) & then take a ferry to Atlantis to see aquarium to finish out the day. Hours in port: 8 AM - 6 PM.

Now...is this a realistic and good plan? The weather is "supposed" to be a high of 74 and partly cloudy. Is this good water-swimming weather for the Bahamas? I don't mind skipping the beach & pools if it will be too cold because I'd rather not dissapoint ourselves by freezing and not wanting to be in the water after making the plan to have a "beach day". In that case we'd just plan to go touring instead. Advice, please? Thanks!!:o

the wife and i think you should go to atlantis and see the aquarium first and then go to the sheraton. no need to return to the ship for showers.

That's a great idea, tb. That saves a lot of time plus by the afternoon, they'll know if it's going to be warm enough for swimming. Good suggestion.

moopdog, you might want to get the phone number for Sheraton and call before you leave Atlantis to see if they still have passes available. We're going in two weeks and that's what we plan to do. We don't want to ride all the way over and then find out they're full.

That's a great idea, tb. That saves a lot of time plus by the afternoon, they'll know if it's going to be warm enough for swimming. Good suggestion.

moopdog, you might want to get the phone number for Sheraton and call before you leave Atlantis to see if they still have passes available. We're going in two weeks and that's what we plan to do. We don't want to ride all the way over and then find out they're full.

Both great ideas! Only question is...if there's a chance they'll be out of passes, shouldn't I go there first for that reason?

I guess that is more of a risk. I was thinking in terms of it being Spring Break so the hotel might be full and not offering day passes at all. We're having the same concerns. I just checked Sheraton's website and they seem to have rooms available for next Wednesday so they're not full.

You can also check Cruise TT to find out how many ships will be in Nassau that day. That way you'll know how many other cruisers you're competing with. :)

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise and enjoy Nassau!

Archived