4 in a cabin?

dbail4

Just got off the Oasis and had a D4 with a diamond which means it had the sofa bed and the pullman. It was an ocean front balcony on deck nine. Based on some of the comments I think some folks are confusing pullmans and sofa bed and that there might be more than one size sofa bed. I am 5'11, my husband is 6'. I have two kids, 11 and 12 1/2 and my 12 1/2/ year old is 5'4. The older kid slept on the pullman, which is basically a single that came down from the ceiling at night. The sofa bed was somewhere between a double and a queent, definitely bigger than a double, it had double sheets on it and they had to use a flat one on the bottom and it didnt cover the entire bed.

I will agree it was a bit cramped when all the beds were open and out but that was just at night when we got back to the cabin and in the am when we got up. The room steward opened it up at night and closed it in the am which was just fine. Honestly, we were so busy enjoying the ship that we never ever spent time in the room.

My daughter who was in the pullman absolutely loved it and she sleeps in a double at home. She said it was comfortable, liked the light on top. My son also sleeps in a double at home and loved the sofa bed, which was larger than what he has here. It is firm, which I loved, but the steward put an extra feather duvet on it like a feather bed and he was happy. We could have easily fit another kid in that bed, which, I guess is why the room is listed as sleeping five. Basically with the bed open and the pullman down it forms a duo bunk, one on top of the other. Again, open, pretty much enough room for everyone to make it to the bathroom, closed, room was very comfy, even for 4.

Just got off the Oasis and had a D4 with a diamond which means it had the sofa bed and the pullman. It was an ocean front balcony on deck nine. Based on some of the comments I think some folks are confusing pullmans and sofa bed and that there might be more than one size sofa bed. I am 5'11, my husband is 6'. I have two kids, 11 and 12 1/2 and my 12 1/2/ year old is 5'4. The older kid slept on the pullman, which is basically a single that came down from the ceiling at night. The sofa bed was somewhere between a double and a queent, definitely bigger than a double, it had double sheets on it and they had to use a flat one on the bottom and it didnt cover the entire bed.

I will agree it was a bit cramped when all the beds were open and out but that was just at night when we got back to the cabin and in the am when we got up. The room steward opened it up at night and closed it in the am which was just fine. Honestly, we were so busy enjoying the ship that we never ever spent time in the room.

My daughter who was in the pullman absolutely loved it and she sleeps in a double at home. She said it was comfortable, liked the light on top. My son also sleeps in a double at home and loved the sofa bed, which was larger than what he has here. It is firm, which I loved, but the steward put an extra feather duvet on it like a feather bed and he was happy. We could have easily fit another kid in that bed, which, I guess is why the room is listed as sleeping five. Basically with the bed open and the pullman down it forms a duo bunk, one on top of the other. Again, open, pretty much enough room for everyone to make it to the bathroom, closed, room was very comfy, even for 4.

I'm so glad to see your post. I tried to do a search on D1 and D4 and it came up empty. So I searched pullman and came across this thread.

I like the idea of the bigger balcony on some of the cabins - but they only have the sofa bed, no pullman. It sounds like the sofa bed is a descent size though. My DDs will be 8 when we go - they can share a queen sized bed fine. I was wondering if you had an opinion on the sofa bed being big enough for two that age? I've gone back and forth between a D1 for the balcony size and D4 for the pullman.

two eight year olds should be just fine in the bed we had. Make sure when you book you ask for a D4 with a diamond designation, that is the room we had. From looking at photos it is clear that different cabins have different size sofa beds, ours seemed larger than some others. If you get the diamond you get the pullman and the sofa which is nice if just the sofa doesnt work out for some reason. We had room 9316, which was a great room. It was all the way aft but that worked well because it was very quiet. Loved being able to walk down to Park Cafe in the am for breakfast.

two eight year olds should be just fine in the bed we had. Make sure when you book you ask for a D4 with a diamond designation, that is the room we had. From looking at photos it is clear that different cabins have different size sofa beds, ours seemed larger than some others. If you get the diamond you get the pullman and the sofa which is nice if just the sofa doesnt work out for some reason. We had room 9316, which was a great room. It was all the way aft but that worked well because it was very quiet. Loved being able to walk down to Park Cafe in the am for breakfast.

Thank you very much for the confirmation. We'll stick with a D4 with the diamond - indicating the sofa bed & the pullman.

BUT depending on your sailing the 3rd and 4th passenger rates are HIGH, so it may be worth it to suck it up and get 2 rooms. Thats what we did for our March 2011 sailing and our kids are 11 and 13. You will get 2 bathroos that way too. Since your oldest is 16 maybe you could get them an interior inctead of a balcony??? ANd it would probably be the same cost as 4 in one room.

We booked Oasis back in March 09 and sailed last week. Each adult was about 1700, the kids were 790 each for the D4, it was considerably more for us to book them in a second ocean view cabin which is why we opted to all go in the D4. Curious how much they are charging now for a D4? Another bathroom would have been nice but we were in the room so little that we were just fine.

Archived