Do they use seatbelts....need to know about car seats

rsharma1033

Hi,

I was wondering if the transportation on the island has seatbelts.

I'm travelling with my 2 and 5 year old and I'm not sure if we should be bringing our car seats. We usually travel with our carseats but I'm not sure what I should do.

If you take your own car seat to use in the vehicle, do you take it along with you eveyrwhere you go? Beaches...other excursions?

I called Carnival and enquired if we booked an excursion what we should do and the lady told me they do not use seat belts on the islands....I just wanted to hear what others actually saw when they were there.

Thanks!

Not trying to scare you but BRING YOUR CARSEATS!!! last month we were on the CB and a young man on our ship was killed in a taxi accident on the island. I know it is a freak thing and could happen anywhere but such a tragedy. I know it might be inconvenient to deal with the carseat but I think it would be worth it. I have 3 little ones and after going on the islands i would bring their carseats if i was traveling with them.

Ali

You are not likely to find seatbelts on the jitney's. If you are in a van or car that would be a different story but even then they don't always have the belts still in the vehicle or use them. A child seat is not much good without a seatbelt that holds it properly.

As for the accident mentioned. The van involved hit an embankment and overturned on its side. Looking at the photos and the debris left over afterwards makes it look like the poor guy that died may have had the same result seatbelt or not.

You don't want to see anyone die but in all the years I've been going to Tortola there have been very few traffic deaths. Nothing like other parts of the world.

sorry if my post was misleading. I meant that i would use the carseat on any island. And i should have said that i would suggest a van/car style cab instead of the jitney. I did not mean for it to sound like i was talking bad about tortola, i was just passing along info i would want to know. We absolutley loved it in the BVI, our favorite stop. I hope my post wasn't discouraging, if anything i would encourage people to visit here.

Ali

Ali,

I didn't take your post as disparaging Tortola, I'm just pointing out that seatbelts are not widely used, even in a van or car they might be removed so the child seat may not help, and in this case seatbelts probably would not have mattered. Also, as I said, traffic deaths on Tortola are very few compared to many other places so it's not a big problem overall and even though the roads do appear scary, for the most part they are fine. People hold their children while riding all the time. Maybe not the best practice but for the BVI it's normal. Even the children going to school ride open air jitneys.

Personally, I love driving there, but that's just me and my wife says I am a bit off kilter. :p

Archived