Cruising for men of 'girth'

TigerStar

For anyone who does not like the intimacy of the shower curtains, the showers in the spa (or specifically the gym) are available for anyone and usually are larger and more open.

On the Carnival Miracle, they actually had separate rooms for each shower so dressing was easy. (also by using the gym showers, it opened up the cabin bathroom for my wife on formal night, so she could spend as much time as she wanted in front of the mirror.)

As a "man of girth" myself, I have no problem with anything except the shower size on Princess ships but almost everyone has an issue with those. One thing that we do to keep from over eating is to eat all of our meals in the MDR, in that way everything arrives in reasonable portion size and one is not tempted to load up one's plate in the buffet. Enjoy your cruise.:)

EVERYONE has a problem with the teeny-tiny Princess showers! Even my 5'8" 130 lb self! The reason they have those (clingy, wraparound) shower curtains is because you'll most likely have to use part or most of the bathroom floor just to complete your shower, and the curtains won't block your way! My youngest son is 6"2" and 235, and found the RCI (Jewel) shower with the rounded door a bit uncomfortable. He also had no problem in the MDR or theater seating. Happy cruising!

I really think that the only problem that you'll have will be in the throne room. That can be cramped for all but the anorexics, mostly because they ain't gonna need THAT room anyway.

Never had an issue sitting down in there, because the toilets are angled out from the wall. Once cruise, the old Tropicale I think, the toilets were straight with the wall and were uncomfortable to sit on. No issue with the more modern Princess and Carnival ships in that respect.

Also didn't have a problem with the shower curtain, especially on the Pride, where it curves out a little more than the Princess ones.

For reference sake, I'm 6'5 and wear a 60 suit jacket.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update this with my experiences.

I never had an issue other than maybe the toilet. Luckily it is at an angle to the walls but the way it is made, there is a 'lip' where the seat meets the lid and any prolonged private time started getting a little uncomfortable.

Never had issues with chairs, even those with arms.

Overall a GREAT cruise! Looking to book another soon.

Maybe....I've been in upscale restaurants that were quite formal, certainly more than the MDR on cruise ships, and they had booths.

I agree. I have been in some very upscale restaurants that have very luxurious, intimate booths. In fact, this is what I consider the ultimate in dining. Very private and top notch service.

The MDR on a cruise ship is similar to where a formal wedding or banquet would be held.

Pearl

Thought I would update this with my experiences.

I never had an issue other than maybe the toilet. Luckily it is at an angle to the walls but the way it is made, there is a 'lip' where the seat meets the lid and any prolonged private time started getting a little uncomfortable.

Never had issues with chairs, even those with arms.

Overall a GREAT cruise! Looking to book another soon.

Glad you had an amazing time and that all went well for you regarding seating and other things. Why on earth would there be a lip at the back of the seat? wierd.

Like some mentioned the toilet can sometimes be a problem both in the room and in other places. It all depends. If you have every been on any sort of boat before, the toilet is exactly the same (the plastic encased and not like one at home). The only other thing will be excursions. They have restrictions by weight.

Other than that everything for a big, small, round, oval, square, or tall person works nicely and comfortably.

Archived