Century Sky Suite question ...

fernem

Hi, everyone.

I am getting very conflicting info from Celebrity reps and various online sites as to what amenities a sky suite has on the Century. I am particularly interested in whether there is a flat panel tv and a dvd player or ... as on Celebrity's site ... there is a 20" crt tv and a vcr!

The Century Concierge Class description says it has a 32" flat panel tv. I would have assumed, before noticing the crt/vcr asterisk on Celebrity's site, that the Sky Suites would have more/better amenities than the CC room. Seems only reasonable ... but possibly not true.

Any inside knowledge would be appreciated. I am going on the Century TA in May and thought I might bring some Netflix movies to enjoy sometime when I felt like it. It is unlikely I will find/bring vhs tapes at this point!:rolleyes:

Thanks.

fern

They are flatscreens. Here are some pictures that I found on webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2604412440026373695njQkmu

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2826775630054958397birZQC

However, I don't think they are 32". I think they are 23". Not 100% sure though.

Thanks for looking. Whatever they are, there aren't any dvd players attached more than likely.

oh, well.:(

fern

There are DVD players. We stayed in SS1200 on Century in July, 2008 (after refurb).

Here is a picture of the main living area: Note, this is an accessible suite so there is more room between the bed and the TV area than in regular Sky Suites. But you can see the TV is flat screen and there is a DVD player over in the bookshelf section.

814388218_JAzSP-S.jpg

Thanks, folks.

I want you to know the Celebrity rep, who put me on hold quite some time to call over to the department who knew all about staterooms, told me ... somewhat apologetically ... that there were still VCRs in the sky suites but they are planning on swapping them out for dvd players soon. He was pretty sure there were flat panel TVs but no one could confirm that.

Good we have pics to help with these questions.:rolleyes:

I appreciate your efforts and will now start up a Netflix account for the month of May so I can take a few movies onboard (my husband already has a Netflix account so we can end up with four movies for when we want to curl up and watch one.)

fern

Fern Netflix is great, but I am pretty sure Century also has a library of DVDs that you can borrow for free viewing in your cabin, and there were quite a lot of them as I recall. We didn't use it, so someone else could confirm. Also they have video on demand movies for purchase through your TV system. It actually may cost about the same to get two current on-demand movies as it would cost to get a two-movie package on Netflix for a month. So you might be fine with just your regular Netflix account plus what you can get on board.

Fern Netflix is great, but I am pretty sure Century also has a library of DVDs that you can borrow for free viewing in your cabin, and there were quite a lot of them as I recall. We didn't use it, so someone else could confirm. Also they have video on demand movies for purchase through your TV system. It actually may cost about the same to get two current on-demand movies as it would cost to get a two-movie package on Netflix for a month. So you might be fine with just your regular Netflix account plus what you can get on board.

Thanks! I had originally called Celebrity to ask whether they had a dvd library ... only to be told my cabin only had a VCR which they would be swapping out soon! They told me, btw, that they had no idea if there was a dvd library and really couldn't get confirmation from anyone one way or the other.

These boards are so useful!

Thanks again. You are right. I don't need to set up a new account over this. (I am not even sure about the movie watching much at all ... but I do like movies and we are at sea for seven days at the beginning so it seemed like it might be fun!. Also the Century has a theater, but people complain that the movies are old or not very good.)

fern:)

Wow..we upgraded from conceirge class to a sky suite. Was this not a good move? too late to change now..oh well.

Oh, of course that's a great move! The veranda is, I forget, over a 150 sq. ft. and the room is much bigger! It's a great idea. (When I got the ss, with a residency discount, it became cheaper than a cc. I couldn't pass it up!:rolleyes:)

It will be a wonderful cabin, I think. The TV is really a minor consideration!

fern

We loved our Sky Suite on Celebrity. We had three SS's for a Baltic Cruise in 2008: 1200 (for DH in wheelchair and me), 1204, and 1206. Our butler was fantastic. His name is Jude, but he is on Infinity now. Our cabin was humongous, but my parents' and my sisters' cabins were also very spacious. All of the balconies are large.

Don't forget to take advantage of the free room service coffee from Cova. It's way better than the stuff in the buffet or dining rooms, and it's free. I brought a travel coffee mug and had Jude get me a double latte every morning. Yum.

You will love it!

• 6 months later...
Oh, of course that's a great move! The veranda is, I forget, over a 150 sq. ft. and the room is much bigger! It's a great idea. (When I got the ss, with a residency discount, it became cheaper than a cc. I couldn't pass it up!:rolleyes:)

It will be a wonderful cabin, I think. The TV is really a minor consideration!

fern

I have booked 1200 for Hawaii in 2011 & saw you had previously been in this stateroom after refurb. Someone else has posted a picture of the balcony which looks really small. Can you tell me if the numbers you posted are for 1200 on Century? Is there anyway you can post a picture on line? We really need to know that we are getting a large balcony!

Thanks for your help!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Here are some pictures of that cabin, taken post-refurb in July 2008, The balcony is a little narrower (door to railing) than the others on that deck, but it is much wider from side to side because the accessible room is wider. Also, there is a jutted-out area which makes it even bigger. Also, that jutted-out area is the primo place to watch anything going on up front or in back.

Please note that 1200 is one of the two handicap-accessible Sky Suites on the ship. There is no tub in the bathroom, just a nice roll-in shower. There is slightly less cabinet space to make room for wheelchairs, but we felt there was plenty. If you need to roll onto the balcony, you will need to ask for a ramp, as the door has a ledge.

Here are some pictures of that cabin, taken post-refurb in July 2008, The balcony is a little narrower (door to railing) than the others on that deck, but it is much wider from side to side because the accessible room is wider. Also, there is a jutted-out area which makes it even bigger. Also, that jutted-out area is the primo place to watch anything going on up front or in back.

Please note that 1200 is one of the two handicap-accessible Sky Suites on the ship. There is no tub in the bathroom, just a nice roll-in shower. There is slightly less cabinet space to make room for wheelchairs, but we felt there was plenty. If you need to roll onto the balcony, you will need to ask for a ramp, as the door has a ledge.

Thank you so very much for posting your pictures! It really makes a difference seeing the entire balcony!

Can't wait til Oct. 2011!!!!

Faith

Archived