Teenager dress code Thomson Spirit

We will be crusing on the Thomson Spirit on 7 April and taking our 14 year old son with us. Can someone please help with with advice on what he should wear in the waiter service restaurant on standard and the Gala evening. Will he really have to wear a suit? Is the buffet restaurant more laid back? I'm confused as to what to pack for him!

Thanks.

We will be crusing on the Thomson Spirit on 7 April and taking our 14 year old son with us. Can someone please help with with advice on what he should wear in the waiter service restaurant on standard and the Gala evening. Will he really have to wear a suit? Is the buffet restaurant more laid back? I'm confused as to what to pack for him!

Thanks.

I don't think it's at all necessary for your son to wear a suit - even for formal night. A shirt and smartish trousers would be quite acceptable - polo shirts are ok for the dining room too on ordinary nights. For formal night a shirt and tie or even a white school shirt dressed up with a bow-tie (you can get some quite jazzy/fun type which might appeal) would look fine - I've seen lots of younger passengers dressed in this way for formal night in the main dining room - it makes a concession to it being a 'different' night without being stuffy or over the top for teenagers.

The buffet restaurant is quite relaxed - no need to dress up here on any night.

We went on the Celebration last year (sister ship) My son used to wear chinos/smart trousers & short sleeve shirts in the restaurant. He took a couple of ties to wear sometimes because he wanted to (he's 9 & it's the first time he had ever worn one so my husband ended up joining him too by wearing one). As long as it's a collared shirt (ie not a t-shirt although a smart polo shirt would probably be ok) he will be fine - they are not "strict" "strict" on dress code but it is a good excuse to dress up and feel good!

On the gala night, again a shirt & tie / bow tie would be good. My husband & son both took smart waistcoats rather than jackets & wore them with bow ties - lighter to pack and they both looked really good - there were lots not even wearing jackets that night but all the men did wear at least ties or bow ties.

The buffet restaurant is less formal.

It's not absolutely necessary for your son to wear a suit as such, but from our experience on Destiny, the boys (of all ages) will be dressed up every bit as formally as the men on Gala night. He may feel the odd one out if he isn't! The family who had a table near us quite often ate elsewhere during the cruise but all turned up dressed to the nines on formal night.

Carol x

Archived