family of five- what can we expect on MSC?

ckekjhaze

Hi

We have 3 girls- the oldest is 13 and the twins are 11-

we've only been on one cruise- usually we just visit an area and make our way on our own or do all-inclusives

we are easy going and not hard to please at all- the European style of cruising will suit us

I've been looking at MSC cruises and the price seems right- especially with kids or at least 2 of them cruising free.

The main thing I am interested in is hidden costs- I read on CC about the drink plans where everyone in the cabin has to purchase the plan- we will have 2 cabins-anything else that may come up besides ordinary charges like tips and excursions?

Also any ship preferences between the Poesia and the Orchestra for the Baltic/Russian cruises.

Thanks so much!!!

Kathy

Hi chekjhaze.

The Poesia and orchestra are pretty much identical except that the Poesia is one year younger and the speciality restaurants are different Chine and a la carte Italain on orchestra and a la carte Tex mex and Wine bar on Poesia). there really won't be much difference, so go for the one whose itinerary and port times appeal to you most.

I'm not a huge fan of the unlimited drink packages as they can only be used in the dining room or buffet at lunch and dinner. I'm mostly ashore at lunch time, so that just leaves dinner in the MDR - so doesn't work out cost effective for me. I prefer the drinks packages you get onboard where you buy a book of vouchers (they have water; soft drinkd; cocktaiks; beer and sometimes vitamin/smoothies). You can use these any bar at any time so not so restrictive, You also don't have to buy one each. Just buy one book and you can all use it until it's finished and then buy another one when you need it

Archived