Is it chaos when you arrive in port in the afternoon?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I'm cruising on the Miracle 6/24:D My question is.....I arrive in Puerto Rico at 3pm and Grand Turk at 1pm.

Will it be chaos with everyone running off the ship 1st thing. It is nice when you arrive early...and some people sleep in.

I'm thinking that everyone will be chomping at the bit to run off the ship at arrival time.

What has been your experiences with late arrival??

Thanks

K

Grand Turk is not a problem, short walk to the beach.

San Juan i think the afternoon arrivals make it a waste of time.

Paying for nice dinner on the ship and enetertainment so see no reason to pay for that in san juan.

Last year got there about 5 pm and it was very crowded getting off the ship.

When I sailed on the Freedom, we arrived in San Juan at 4pm. I didn't find that there was a mad rush to get off of the ship. It went very smoothly.

However, when we arrived in Roatan on the Valor at Noon...HOLY COW!! The passengers did not listen to the announcements. They said to wait until we were told we could go to the gangway. Haha...I think the enitre ship was lined up to get off of the ship thirty minutes beforehand. There were people lined up all the fwd stairways all the way up to deck 7 or 8...and they weren't very nice. After they announced the ship was clear, we waited for what seemed like FOREVER to get down to deck 0. It was crazy.

Sooo...I think it kinda depends on the other passengers on your ship. If they follow directions, you might not have a problem in either of your ports!

Hi,

I'm cruising on the Miracle 6/24:D My question is.....I arrive in Puerto Rico at 3pm and Grand Turk at 1pm.

Will it be chaos with everyone running off the ship 1st thing. It is nice when you arrive early...and some people sleep in.

I'm thinking that everyone will be chomping at the bit to run off the ship at arrival time.

What has been your experiences with late arrival??

Thanks

K

Not sure about Grand Turk, but when we went to San Juan, it was to be a 4pm arrival, actually got there at 3 but we were not cleared to get off the ship until about 4pm. We did not feel that there was a mad rush to get off the ship. We took an excursion that was a tour around both new San Juan and old San Juan. The tour allowed us some time to shop in old San Juan before taking us back to the ship.

I think it depends on the people on the ship, and the mentality of some that if they see a line beginning to form, then they must join it and some how it will translate into getting off faster, rather then create more of a slowdown due to the chaos that usually is the result.

Not sure about Grand Turk, but when we went to San Juan, it was to be a 4pm arrival, actually got there at 3 but we were not cleared to get off the ship until about 4pm. We did not feel that there was a mad rush to get off the ship. We took an excursion that was a tour around both new San Juan and old San Juan. The tour allowed us some time to shop in old San Juan before taking us back to the ship.

I think it depends on the people on the ship, and the mentality of some that if they see a line beginning to form, then they must join it and some how it will translate into getting off faster, rather then create more of a slowdown due to the chaos that usually is the result.

thanks everyone....having trouble with the quote button....

anyway...glad to hear that is should not be a problem.....Hopefully....people listen to the announcements:rolleyes:

K

When we cruised on the Miracle to San Juan and Grand Turk, we arrived in San Juan to cloudy, rainy weather. Even with the bad weather, a lot of people were up on deck watching us pull in, the photogs were on deck snapping shots of cruisers with San Juan in the background, waiters with DoD's were everywhere, it was a real party atmosphere. After we docked, most people went to change and get ready for an evening in port.

Disembarking was smooth and unrushed. We took the afternoon to just walk around Old San Juan, then the skies opened up, and it started pouring. We were back onboard for dinner, and stayed onboard the rest of the night.

I think weather really affected this port for us.

Grand Turk arrival was pretty much the same, everyone on deck watching the approach to the island. Since this was basically a beach stop, there was more of a push to get off, but still, the crowds were very well controlled and disembarking went smoothly.

Cruising the same ship and itinerary this July. I also thought hitting PR in the late afternoon was kind of a waste. We have the 8:15 dinner seating which also hampers being able to do anything. If we want to get off the ship and site-see, we have to leave ample time to come back to shower and dress. Then after dinner, there isn't very much time to go back into town before needing to be on the ship for a midnite sail away.

But.. that having been said... I very much look forward to figuring it all out ;)

Vicki

I think the later arrival time in San Juan is a plus. 3 times (maybe 4? :confused:) we had the late arrival, staying until midnight & it worked out wonderfully. One time, while on the Noodam, we arrived at 7AM & left at 1PM...and that was totally useless.

I don't recall any mad dashes or mayhem getting off the ship in San Juan. Sorry, can't comment on Grand Turk...will be going there for the first time on the beautiful Miracle next month, but will be there 7AM-3PM.

While in San Juan you might want to consider having a fabulous dinner at the Parrot Club in Old San Juan. They start serving at 6PM. The ambience is old world classic latin and the food & martini's ;) are excellent!

Have a great cruise!

BTW the margaritaville in Grand Turk has gorgeous and a huge pool.

Can't wait to see that.....why mess around...pool....awesome beach, drinks:p

When we cruised on the Miracle to San Juan and Grand Turk, we arrived in San Juan to cloudy, rainy weather. Even with the bad weather, a lot of people were up on deck watching us pull in, the photogs were on deck snapping shots of cruisers with San Juan in the background, waiters with DoD's were everywhere, it was a real party atmosphere. After we docked, most people went to change and get ready for an evening in port.

Disembarking was smooth and unrushed. We took the afternoon to just walk around Old San Juan, then the skies opened up, and it started pouring. We were back onboard for dinner, and stayed onboard the rest of the night.

I think weather really affected this port for us.

Grand Turk arrival was pretty much the same, everyone on deck watching the approach to the island. Since this was basically a beach stop, there was more of a push to get off, but still, the crowds were very well controlled and disembarking went smoothly.

Weather:o Why can't we control that little diddy on OUR vacations:rolleyes: I'm hoping for some good weather to walk around Old San Juan.....and of course the BEACHES in ST. Thomas And GRand Turk:D

Cruising the same ship and itinerary this July. I also thought hitting PR in the late afternoon was kind of a waste. We have the 8:15 dinner seating which also hampers being able to do anything. If we want to get off the ship and site-see, we have to leave ample time to come back to shower and dress. Then after dinner, there isn't very much time to go back into town before needing to be on the ship for a midnite sail away.

But.. that having been said... I very much look forward to figuring it all out ;)

Vicki

I'm hoping to get off ship 1st thing.....walk around Old San Juan....see the forts.....stop at a local smocal.......and be back on the ship for mylate seating:)(

I think the later arrival time in San Juan is a plus. 3 times (maybe 4? :confused:) we had the late arrival, staying until midnight & it worked out wonderfully. One time, while on the Noodam, we arrived at 7AM & left at 1PM...and that was totally useless.

I don't recall any mad dashes or mayhem getting off the ship in San Juan. Sorry, can't comment on Grand Turk...will be going there for the first time on the beautiful Miracle next month, but will be there 7AM-3PM.

While in San Juan you might want to consider having a fabulous dinner at the Parrot Club in Old San Juan. They start serving at 6PM. The ambience is old world classic latin and the food & martini's ;) are excellent!

Have a great cruise!

Is the Parrot Club suitable for children.....I have an 8yr old daughter.....those darn kids:rolleyes:

Archived