Looking for ideas in port w/ 2 young children

tropiclvrs

I would tend toward taking the water taxi over to the city beach and letting them play in the sand for awhile. If you want to go further (it's not hard), get a taxi to Little Bay and rent two chairs and an umbrella and enjoy that beach. Just walk off the ship, past a few shops and hang to the right to arriveat the regulated taxi stand. The line for Little Bay is the second post. The taxi regulators hail vans, fill them up and send you on your way. You pay the driver ($4 pp each way) when you get out.

It's a 10 minute ride and Lil Divi Resort is nicely kept. You do have to turn down a timeshare tour offer, but they're not pushy.

Walk onto the beach and a guy sets you up with chairs and an umbrella ($5 each piece for the whole day). Then you can just enjoy. There's a bar and grill with really great (but pricey) ribs. There's also a small convenience store with ice cream and other snacks if you go back toward the taxi area and walk on the path to the right. Some shops down that way, too.

There's nice restrooms in the main buffet area (this restaurant wasn't open when we were there) and there are shower/changing rooms in the bar/grill building so you can rinse off and change before heading back to the ship.

Our 8yo DS was loathe to leave his sand castle and the water. Great day w/o crowds (5-6 ship in port, too). You can see the ships in Great Bay as you wait for the taxi back to port.

Le Gallion is a 20 minute or so taxi ride from the port and it is perfect for small children. There are chairs, umbrellas a restaurant with washroom facilities and trees for natural shade and the water is calm, clear and a gorgeous color of tourquois. It is popular with the islanders on the weekend and it was actually pretty busy this past Sunday morning. During the week it is not very busy. In terms of snorkeling there were some fish out by the floating dock but my DD's did not find much around the rocks. Personally, I don't think I will bother to even pack my snorkel stuff for my next visit to St. Martin.

I second karysa re: Le Gallion - it's a good beach for small children and the water is shallow. The problem with going to a beach near the cruiseship docks:

1. Frankly I don't trust the water quality in Great Bay

2. Steep drop-off for small kids

I second karysa re: Le Gallion - it's a good beach for small children and the water is shallow. The problem with going to a beach near the cruiseship docks:

1. Frankly I don't trust the water quality in Great Bay

2. Steep drop-off for small kids

I totally agree about the water concerns in Great Bay. The water at Little Bay was clear and fine. Le Galion sounds the best, but you didn't indicate a desire to go very far. As long as there's two of you to handle kids and stuff, you should have a great time wherever you want to go. Just don't forget the sunscreen!

Enjoy!

Archived