How do you get caught up on the week's worth of news after you get back?

Luv2Travelnow

I'm normally addicted to the internet and the news sites.

However I didn't use the internet for even one second on my 5 day cruise. Nor did I watch any of the news channels. My daughter wanted to watch the Cartoon Network any time we were in the room. :o

So upon returning to port, how do you guys / gals get caught up on all the week's news and events?

It would be nice of Carnival had a daily news & events page, or a news summary at the end of the week to get us caught up after being out of touch for all that time. :)

I called my friends and asked them if I missed anything, but it was not the most scientific / thorough way of getting caught up on the news. :p

Most of my cruises are five nights, so it's not tooooo difficult. I take all the accumulated newspapers, stack them oldest first. Then I read, read, read.:)

LOL lots to read!!

I don't subscribe to the physical newspapers, so it was more interesting trying to get caught up for me. :)

Just recall the headlines on the day you left....repeat. One 15 minute session on HLN will make you glad you missed the news for a week. :D For sports, just refresh the standings. Except for the NCAA tourneys on the weekends, no games in any sports during the week will significantly impact the seasons' endings. The stok market news for 5 trading sessions will not mean diddly to your 401K.

We used to cruise in April.

Columbine, Waco, Oklahoma City bombing. Just too much!

One year we went in May. Sammy Davis Jr., Linda McCartney, and Jim Henson died.

It takes me longer to catch up on Cruise Critic than the news.

Part of what I enjoy most about cruising is getting AWAY from all the news (since most of it is bad anyway) When I get home I glance at the newspaper front pages as I recyle them but that is about it!! I figure if anything earthshaking happened while I was blissfully floating around the Caribbean I will hear about it sooner or later!:)

Depends on 'how much' you want to catch up on. One good idea if you just want any major headlines would be to sign up with the 'breaking news' email alerts with your news channel of choice. I'm pretty sure CNN, FOX and MSNBC all have them. Then when you get back anything that was noteworthy would be sitting in your email box.

These news sources also use Twitter and include more than just 'breaking news'. You could view their twitter pages when you get back for very brief updates and the tweets have links to the main articles if you want to read more about it.

I use twitter and subscribe to @BreakingNews:

http://twitter.com/breakingnews

I cruise in between football season and not during the weeks of the NCAA tournament and I'm good. As far as any politics or anything, we don't have any control because the dems do what they want anyway:mad:....LOL...I make sure I don't miss any Aggie or Texans games and I'm good....:D

However I didn't use the internet for even one second on my 5 day cruise. Nor did I watch any of the news channels. My daughter wanted to watch the Cartoon Network any time we were in the room. :o

So upon returning to port, how do you guys / gals get caught up on all the week's news and events?

It would be nice of Carnival had a daily news & events page, or a news summary at the end of the week to get us caught up after being out of touch for all that time. :)

I called my friends and asked them if I missed anything, but it was not the most scientific / thorough way of getting caught up on the news. :p

I find if its that important it will be repeated over and over again once you return;) If not then don't worry about it;)

If I miss it I miss it.

If it is really earth shattering , like a previous poster said you may actually hear talk about it on the ship, or you will definately hear about it once you get home.

Otherwise I don't care where the President was this week, What congress took their sweet time to mull over, or what celebrity died.

It's pretty hard to put yourself in a news vacuum these days, even if you turn off the cell phone and Blackberry. Though I do admit to picking up the NY Post and Daily News if I can in the ports, just to make sure my company didn't break the buck or is being sued again, that sort of thing.

I don't watch the news when I'm home or read the newspaper so there is nothing to get caught up with.:)

Bill

We were pretty much out of touch for nearly 3 years livings on small islands before internet. You know- the world continued and having missed all that minute to minute made no difference at all. Every once in a while for the couple of years after rejoining the modern world I would hear mention of something major that had happened or about someone who had died and I would look confused. Nights like last night are so rare that it is amazing how little of it amounts to anything. And I am a complete news junky- 3 full hours per night if nothing is going on, plus 2 hours of the satire on the news. If anything is going on I will tune into C-Span and watch intently. I love the fact that I have no idea what has happened. I do get emails with breaking news which I review quickly when I get home. Otherwise the world continued to turn while I was away.

Archived