Monarch of the Seas, LAX, and other ???s

First I apologize for putting this on RCCL, but not much activity on the United States board.

I have booked Monarch of the Seas for next year, 4 day sailing.

We plan to fly in 3 days prior to the Monday sailing and go to Disneyland. We will be staying at one of the Disney properties.

Hopefully I will be using Delta miles for the airfare.

That said here are my questions:

Should I fly into John Wayne Orange County Airport?

Would LAX be the airport that I should use to for my return flight or is there a closer airport to the San Pedro pier.

Assuming that I fly into John Wayne, I think I can rent a car and then drop it off near the pier, I think Enterprise allows this. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Lastly, how far is the pier from Disneyland?

Thanks in advance.

If you are staying at a Disney property, you will have no need for a rental car. I would opt to get shuttle transportation from SNA to D-land, from there to the port, from the port back to the airport. I would also fly into SNA, much closer to the Disney area, about the same distance as LAX from the port. SNA (OC/or John Wayne) is a much nicer airport to fly in and out of. Long Beach would be my second choice.

The Disney area has become quite self-contained, you will have everything you want within walking distance, or shuttles right in the area. The Disney property hotels do charge, last time I was there, $10 per night for overnight parking. If you are not familiar with the area, it would be more of a hassle and more time consuming to bother with renting a car.

I'm a huge Disney fan, this is the first year I haven't had an annual passport in about 8 years, I'm missing it. Ask away any questions you may have about Disney.

Have a great trip!

Kathy, thank you for your comments. I am a member of the Disney Vacation Club, but we have never visited Disneyland, always WDW.

Even though our trip is over a year away, I must make air reservations 330 days out if I use miles.

Right now it appears that I could rent a car via Enterprise for 3 days at about $75, but have not called them about drop off charges at the port.

Do you know what shuttle or cab fares run from John Wayne to Disneyland and then Disneyland to the San Pedro port?

Thanks again

I would definitly pick SNA or Long Beach....

Live by both of them and they are near the port and Disneyland.

Unless you plan to leave the Disneyland area, you don't need a rental car, Disney has a great shuttle and plus they charge each night for the parking of the car.

Have fun!!!!

Kathy

Try calling the Disneyland hotel to ask about shuttles from the aiport and to the pier. If they don't provide their own, they should be able to tell you who to call.

Try super shuttle (supershuttle.com).

Post your question on the Mexican Riviera board (under ports of call) -- lots of info on Monarch, shuttles, and rental cars there.

We did Disneyland and the 4 day RCCL cruise in 2000 -- had a great time.

Magnum, Long Beach & LAX are about the same distance from San Pedro, but Long Beach is much easier to deal with - there are only 45 or so flights daily, so security lines are almost nonexistent and traffic is usually much lighter. I would definitely recommend LGB over LAX if it works for your flights.

You might also try Prime Time Shuttle or Sky Limo (Lincoln Town Cars 1-800-359-1800, I think) for transportation.

Thanks all for your help.

No flights out of Long Beach, so I will fly into John Wayne and fly out of LAX. Once I get the flights settled I can work on whether or not to get a rental car for the weekend, I think Enterprise will let me drop off near the pier or to use taxis and/or shuttles.

Thanks again, everyone was a big help for me.

Yes, San Pedro is about 7 miles closer to the Long Beach airport than LAX. It doesn't sound like much, until you see the traffic crawling along on the 405. A rental car may sound more economical, but once you add on the parking charges and gas, it's not much of a savings. Here is a link that may help you with transportation from OC/John Wayne Airport, I think you could use this same link for the Long Beach airport too.

http://www.ocair.com/groundtransport/shuttles.htm

I've been to Disney World only once, would love to go again, it's quite different from our Disney Resort area, a lot more spread out. The biggest difference would be California Adventure and our Downtown Disney is right next to Disneyland, you don't need to shuttle around as much. That and the fact we have only 2 parks! There are also opportunities from the hotels to visit Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios etc... But, none of them are near as nice as Disney. Three days sounds like a perfect time to visit the parks, Downtown Disney has some great restaurants and fun shopping. I'm hoping you stay at Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier are nice, but the Grand beats them both.

Kathy:

My timeshare with Disney is based on a point system, the fewer I use the more I can use somewhere else. Grand Californian will be most expensive as far as points go, and Paradise Pier just a couple of points less than Disneyland Hotel.

My thinking is that I will rent from Enterprise at John Wayne and then when I had for the ship drop the car off at an Enterprise that is near the port. I will only have the car for the 3 days. After the cruise I will take a shuttle to LAX.

Since I am staying at Disneyland I do not have to pay for parking at the park.

Once I get my airline tickets, then I can start fretting up transportation in LA. I am originally from Houston, so I do know a little bit about traffic-lol.

They offer shuttle services to and from SNA and LAX to Disneyland and they also provide transfers to the Pier. SNA to the pier directly is $36 one way for the first person and $9 for each additional. There website has a pricing program. There are also numerous private shuttle companies.

smiles Patty

There is no charge for overnight parking at any of the Disney hotels as long as you are staying there as a guest and do self-parking in the garage. There is a charge if you do valet parking.

Where are you staying (if you don't mind my asking)? All three hotels are all good, but each is very different from the others. Of course, they all have the Disney themes, etc.

beachchick

Is not really free at all, Nor is there a charge for PARKING..........Parking is included in the "RESORT FEE" that everyone is charged to stay at the hotels now. It includes the gym, USA TODAY and parking. Whether you work out, drove or read the paper you are charged this fee.

smiles Patty

• 2 weeks later...

You know, come to think of it, I have only paid $10 per night for parking at the Disnelyland Hotel, not Paradise Pier or Grand Californian. It's been a while since I have stayed at D-land hotel, perhaps they did not have the resort charge when I was there. I live so close, it is rare that we do spend the night, usually just when they have a great deal for passholders. So, ya'll are probably correct about the parking fee.

magnumcoog, all 3 of the properties are very nice, the Grand is closer, newer and perhaps fancier. I can completely understand wanting to save points on a vacation plan. You cannot go wrong with any of them, all 3 of them are walkable to the parks, or a short tram ride.

Have fun planning!

Archived