What to do in Dubrovnik

yarramar

We will be visiting Dubrovnik whilst on Insignia in September. The ship docks at 6:00pm and leaves next day at 1:00pm.

I was wondering what would be the best way to spend time here given the overnight stop.

I would recommend walking around the city walls. As you enter the Old City, there is a ticket booth on the right near the large cistern, or well. Nearby is the staircase that will take you up to the city walls. I forget the price but it was nominal. The walk around the walls is a mile or so and not difficult if you are in reasonably good shape. (Climbing the stairs to begin your walk is the hardest part.) The views of the city and of the surrounding areas are beautiful!

Be sure to take water with you, especially if it is a hot day. There is one spot about midway around the walk that sells bottled water.

We did not particularly like the main street through Dobrovnik, the Stradun. Very touristy, mostly t-shirt and souveneir shops. The side streets were more interesting. Have fun.

Absolutely agree with what's been said. In addition to exploring the side streets, be sure to leave time to wander through as many of the streets in town as you can, i.e. not just the ones perpendicular to the main street, but the various ones off from there as well. We loved the town and especially enjoyed wandering around, up and down, in the evening.

You can wander on the walls and be sure to see the synagogue. Then, you can take either a one hour boat ride, for about $20 a person, or a longer ride to the town of Cavtat - a loverly seaside town - takes about 40 minutes by boat in each direction.

Will it be worth going into the city that evening i.e. after 6:00pm and will we be able to get back to the ship late?

I suspect we may be too tired as there is also a stop in Kotor that morning

We loved strolling the walls during the afternoon. We went back to our ship for dinner, and had so enjoyed Dubrovnik that though we were somewhat tired, we couldn't resist going back to town. I think we enjoyed our evening stroll up and down those streets even more than we enjoyed our afternoon walk on the walls. And there was something really special about taking the tender from town back to the ship in the semi-dark. (This was Regent Voyager.) jmo

At night check out" Hard jazz cafe" and " Hemingways Bar" both in old town.. google for the websites..

Dubrovnik is a beautiful city..grab a taxi and have the driver take you on a tour for a few hours..worth it!!

When we were there in October, we negotiated with a taxi driver at the dock to take us for a drive through the Dalmation Coast which only took a few hours - it was wonderful. He dropped us off by the Old City near the beach so we could walk all through the city as we had done the wall on a previous visit.

In the CC Ports of Call forum, under Europe, there is a very informative thread about Dubrovnik. One CC member "DubrovnikTraveLady" lives there and can answer many of your questions. Also if you do a search there you can find some excellent suggestions for great places to dine.

Archived