diamond princess alaska cruises

tigerabbit

Been there twice, both times in mid to late June. The Diamond is a beautiful ship. Only saw the sun once and that was when we were leaving Seattle on the first cruise. Other than that it was always cloudy or a light mist of rain where you hardly needed an umbrella. Temperature usually in the low 60's. But it was still beautiful and I'd go back in a heartbeat (plus I'm a sun lover from Arizona so thats saying something). Like others have said ...layers.. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

2 pairs of walking shoes so you have a dry pair WHEN the first pair gets soaked! I had a pair of sneakers that got totally wet in Ketchikan, but after heeding some great advice on the Alaska board, I stuffed my sneakers with towels and left them for the remainder of the day, took the towels out at night, and the next morning they were good to go......for a rainy day in Juneau!!!!

2 pairs of walking shoes so you have a dry pair WHEN the first pair gets soaked! I stuffed my sneakers with towels and left them for the remainder of the day, took the towels out at night, and the next morning they were good to go......for a rainy day in Juneau!!!!

Yep, I'm taking two pair of hikers, wearing the big ones for traveling, and all the camera equipment I can get into my backpack. Our own bathroom/laundry stuff(allergies). Double lightweight/dry/windproof coats. Polypro shirts. Bug stuff for inland. Fancy clothes go into whatever room is left.

(Crumpled newspaper packed in the shoes and changed once or twice also does the trick, even faster and more efficiently than towels.)

Was on Diamond to Alaska late last August. Expected rain but never got any. Coldest temps were in Glacier Bay. Bring something warm to wear there including gloves and headwear if you plan to be out on deck at all. Was in shorts for most excursons. A backpack is handy for packing a jacket or raincoat just in case. It seemed we really lucked out weather wise according to all the locals. Binoculars came in handy. I just used a cheap pocket model. But then I just use a point and shoot pocket camera as well. On the landtour afterward people had some very nice cameras and binoculars. If you have them bring them.

Archived