What is your favorite "local" restaurant in Cozumel with a budget in mind.

littleherosmommy

We ate at the open air restaurant right near the huge Mexican flag. I don't know the name of it. When we got our menus we saw the prices and thought 'wow, its so expensive!' then we remembered it was in pesos (about .50 for every American $1). It was very good and the prices were very reasonable. Me and my wife had the chicken tacos and the other couple got a burger I think. They even have a mariachi band that comes and plays for you while you eat for that extra mexican flair.

Current exchange rate is 12.61peso to $1. If you want real Mexican/Yucatan food go inland a couple of blocks from the main square and look for a local restraurant with the menu written in Spanish and no prices in US $. They will have a set menu with a couple of choices for the day. All the tourist restraurants close are mostly Tex/Mex.

Plaza Leza in Plaza in San Miguel--great people watching spot. Los Otates over on Calle 3 Sur and Avenida 10 just a couple of blocks from the plaza (outdoor tacqueria) or try Especias nearby on Calle 3 Sur between Avenida 5 and 10 on the second floor. Casa Denis and La Choza also have dishes under $15 entree.

? BruceR... can't recall... does your dive shop dining list have prices?

La Mission was recommended to us by our taxi driver. It was fabulous. Upon being seated, we were brought fabulous chips, guacamole and salsa. Then, ordered the combinacion plates - apparently all dinner plates come with chicken soup - really, really good. The combinacion plate had beef fajitas meat (or carne guisada - not sure which!), chicken enchilada with green sauce, half a cheese quesadilla, tamale, small chile relleno and rice and beans. Don't remember the price - but it was very reasonable - I remember it being under $10.

Great atmosphere, clean and just the perfect place to eat.

Oh - I wished I had ordered fried fish or shrimp when we saw other folks getting their orders. Huge fried shrimp and a whole fried fish. Looked fabulous!

Highly recommend La Mission!!!!

? BruceR... can't recall... does your dive shop dining list have prices?

No, just $ - $$$$$ ranges. ----> http://bluextseadiving.com/restaurants.php

I like Camilos, av. 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 Nte Easy to walk to from the Plaza.

I also really like la Conchita del Caribe, also seafood, but you'd have to take a taxi there.

I appologize in advance if my post comes off as ignorant or uninformed, but I do have an important question. Is it safe in Cozumel to eat raw or fresh produce? I ask this because all of it is washed with tap water or may be sprayed.

I appologize in advance if my post comes off as ignorant or uninformed, but I do have an important question. Is it safe in Cozumel to eat raw or fresh produce? I ask this because all of it is washed with tap water or may be sprayed.

Well, I've had the "salads", lettuce and tomatoes cilanto etc., and the fresh salsas that come with food in several places and the ceviche (but that's "cooked" in the lime juice). No issues. But if you're concerned, just avoid ordering and/or eating these.

there is a restaurant on the main plaza its right across from Mcdonalds and right by a great fountain called Toros place really neat they have live music and they were totally up for the kids going up and playing with the drums < they offered we didnt ask> I think we paid 50.00 for all five of us< free bathrooms as well> with a balcony seating area I think we have pics somewhere i can look for you if you like

there was another place that I wish I went to its at the end of a side street I'm thinking confetti plaza???????

I will describe it the street is like any side street there was a tatto parlor on the right side jewelry on the left and right,< i know this is terrible > it was a little past the mcdonalds , Big arch over the street saying the name of the street. it was a little before senior frogs maybe a block

but at the end of the street in the back there are bathrooms on the right and at the end there is this large open doorway and when you look into it it looks like a nature reserve, they have trees and birds and mariachi bands walking around.

Yes, it is safe. They don't use tap water to wash the produce.

Archived