some Jewel questions - mostly Courtyard

nicole9s

Hi All,

I am researching a Jewel cruise sometime this year, and I've been looking at the Courtyard Villas. I do have a few questions:

1) The Great Outdoors bar - it looks very nice based on the picture I have seen, very similar to the Aft bar on the Celebrity cruise we took previously. Is there live entertainment at all back there?

2) The showers in the CY Villa - would there be enough room for a shower seat?

3) The Courtyard area - I know there is some outside seating, as well as a concierge lounge, on the deck above the villas. Are these only accessible by stairs, or can you take an elevator up?

4) The Courtyard area - my husband is very shy and more or less self-conscious. He is worried about feeling 'required' so to speak, to socialize with the other folks in the courtyard area. I'm not sure if you all will understand where he is coming from, but it really is a big deal for him, and with the size (small) of the Villa balconies, I really think that the draw of sitting outdoors is in/around the Courtyard. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable though, and this is of concern.

I appreciate any assistance! thanks!

Hi All,

I am researching a Jewel cruise sometime this year, and I've been looking at the Courtyard Villas. I do have a few questions:

1) The Great Outdoors bar - it looks very nice based on the picture I have seen, very similar to the Aft bar on the Celebrity cruise we took previously. Is there live entertainment at all back there?

2) The showers in the CY Villa - would there be enough room for a shower seat?

3) The Courtyard area - I know there is some outside seating, as well as a concierge lounge, on the deck above the villas. Are these only accessible by stairs, or can you take an elevator up?

4) The Courtyard area - my husband is very shy and more or less self-conscious. He is worried about feeling 'required' so to speak, to socialize with the other folks in the courtyard area. I'm not sure if you all will understand where he is coming from, but it really is a big deal for him, and with the size (small) of the Villa balconies, I really think that the draw of sitting outdoors is in/around the Courtyard. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable though, and this is of concern.

I appreciate any assistance! thanks!

Hi there

just off the Jewel this weekend and staying in 14012 (Courtyard)

1) Great Outdoors - no entertainment at the back of the ship - mainly just an eating area - it has a lovely view

2) shower seat - the shower is long and thin - it is 2 tiles wide if that makes sense - there is a bathtub too.

3)Courtyard sun deck is only available by stairs - but there is plenty of seating int he courtyard as well - I will be posting photos soon and will come back to the post with a link for you to see how it is set up.

4) We met some people while in the courtyard - and others kept to themselves - if he doesn't socialize with others then they will most likely leave him alone - at least that was my experience - we tended to meet people in the hot tub - but if we were just sitting reading we didn't socialize so much .

We LOVED the Courtyard Villa - we had stayed in owners suites before and could use the courtyard but didn't as much as we did this time as actually staying in the villas.

I would highly recommend it if you like peace and quiet - most of the time it wasn't too busy!

Hope that helps!

Melanie

thank you both. Please understand, he's not like a snob or anything like that. He was always shy, but since obtaining(?) his disability, he's even more reserved than he used to be. I appreciate both of your input about the dynamics of the courtyard.

Jewelfine - I look forward to reading your review!

BikerAl - I'm off to look at your pics!

I did think of one more question - is there wi-fi in the courtyard?

thanks!

Yes, you could fit a small shower chair in that shower. This is only a small ledge to step over in that suite.

On our trip, some people socialized and some were not interested. People there more often than not say on their own and read their book, etc. I doubt anyone would "force' themself on somebody that did not want to talk.

Be prepared to be spoiled.

The balcony is very comfortable for sitting. It's not huge and not tiny either. We used ours a lot. Every evening, we'd have a drink out there along with a snack that our butler had brought us. It was a great way to relax after a busy day and before dinner. If your husband is shy, I think the Courtyard is the perfect solution as there are fewer people and I think less likely that he would feel overwhelmed by conversing with others. Also, you can have your butler serve you any meal you'd like in your room. There is also courtyard seating, near the pool where you can order food too which also is a way to avoid crowds, if that is a concern. As others have said, nobody will bother him if he doesn't want to converse. I think people really respect that in the Courtyard.

We stayed in the courtyard on the Gem and I requested a chair for the shower. They brought a round stool that was just as good. It fit fine, also in the AB shower which is the same size, I had a handicapped shower chair and loved it. There is a one tile high step over to enter the enclosure.

We will be in the courtyard again on the jewel for the april repo cruise. Love, love, love, it.

Stayed in a Courtyard Villa in January. Most people just waved, smiled or said hello as they passed you if you in the courtyard reading or relaxing. You saw the same people every day in the courtyard and at breakfast and lunch and knew who wanted to talk and who wanted to be left alone. Everyone was polite and respected each others privacy. There was a cocktail party in the courtyard one evening which did prompt more socializing but you are not obligated to attend.

I am sure your husband will also smile and be polite and the others in the courtyard will do the same.

We really had a great experience and loved our daily time in the courtyard area. Please encourage him to also enjoy all the courtyard has to offer.

Archived