Best alcohol packing for airplane here!

cpizzull

Just got back from St. Thomas and had no real intent on loading up with liquor again, especially with the new airline rules and packing, etc. Anyway, had some extra time and stopped back in to A.H.Rise, where I had previously purchased. They knew exactly what was allowed on the plane, etc, but best of all, they had these airplane bags that you could purchase for $1 each. They are simply awesome and took all the worry out of packing. Here's a pic of what they look like. Oh, they bounced these packed bottles right off the table in front of me, ha!

http://cid-7635b246e275a15e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Cruise-2010/IMG%5E_3598.JPG

Good luck and enjoy!

The box they normally package liqour in will work just fine and as far as I know there is no issue with sending it through baggage ( i.e. extra charges) I have been going to and spending time on St. Thomas for almost 30 years and have yet to see a box of liquor come off a plane with it leaking and broken bottles.

Scott

We fly on American and they accept the boxed liquor as checked baggage for free in addition to your regular checked baggage. Check with your carrier before buying the liquor to see what there policy is. The boxes from AH Riise are very sturdy plus they put in additional cardboard in each section of the box to make sure no bottles break.

Enjoy!

Those look really great-does that mean that I can leave the bubble wrap & strapping tape at home ?

How strong are they & do they come in all different sizes ?

Thanks for the info !!

I can't remember if they had different sizes now that you ask. They slide the bottle into a flat bag and THEN inflate it, virtually making it a once size fits all. After the bag is inflated, they tape around the top seam, virtually locking any spillage that would happen (highly doubt) inside the bag. They are incredibly strong. If you don't want to carry boxes, or don't fully trust the luggage handler, I'd easily spend the $1 so you can put these into a checked bag.

• 4 months later...

We had the same experience on SW when we tried to ship a "guaranteed shipping safe" six pack of liquor". SW would not take it. Fortunately I had a great desk person who sold me those bubble wrap paks for $5.00 each sicne I onlt needed three. Still cheaper than paying the fee for another piece of luggage (we were maxed out in free luggage).

Make sure the booze savings is worth it and you have room in your luggage going home!!

:rolleyes:

Does A.H. Rise have banana rum cream? That's the only thing I'm looking to buy on the cruise. (They don't sell it in the States; if they did, I wouldn't bother getting it on a cruise.)

I saw a set of reusable bottle bags (different than these - they had bubble wrap on the inside and the outside was vinyl and the bottom had two ziploc-type closures and then folded over like a dry bag) in a travel catalog for $25 (!!) and would much rather pay just $1 since this won't be an often occurance!

Archived