If Voyager is out, who is in?

RCL is already taking bookings for Europe June 2011, Voyager is not listed in Europe ships:confused:

From next year, Liberty OTS is sailing the seven day route from Barcelona that Voyager has done for the past few years. What they're doing with Voyager I don't know.

Rumors abound as to what is going to happen - any where from no ships in Galveston at all (:mad::mad::mad:) to the Freedom going out of Galveston year round (:D:D:D). We just have to wait until the end of April to find out for sure.

It's hard to know what to believe about Voyager or Galveston's future with all the conflicting rumors out there! I've heard:

Voyager is returning to Galveston on Nov. 20, 2011 after her first season from Venice; Voyager is staying in Galveston year-round in 2011; Voyager isn't returning to Galveston in the Fall of 2011; Royal Caribean won't be sending a ship to Galveston after 2011; Galveston will get a full time ship in 2011 or 2012; Voyager will be staying in Europe; Voyager will be going to San Juan; A Freedom Class ship is coming to Galveston; etc.

We will have to wait until RCCL releases their Caribbean itineraries to find out what will really happen in 2011. :( My guess is that the schedule will be the same as the past few years, but who knows other than the people working for Royal Caribbean.

From next year, Liberty OTS is sailing the seven day route from Barcelona that Voyager has done for the past few years. What they're doing with Voyager I don't know.

The Voyager will be sailing from Venice starting May 22, 2011. Then will return to Galveston on October 30th 2011. Its sail 7 day cruises alt routes each week to Italy Croatia Greece and Turkey.

Rumors abound as to what is going to happen - any where from no ships in Galveston at all (:mad::mad:) to the Freedom going out of Galveston year round (:D:D). We just have to wait until the end of April to find out for sure.

I doubt Freedom would leave Port Canaveral since she is part of the seven day "Way More Than a Cruise" package in conjunction with Universal Orlando. If they wanted to keep offering that seven day package they'd have to move another ship to Port Canaveral. Granted I don't know how popular that package is and whether they'll continue to offer it. :cool:

All I know is that the crew on the 3/14 sailing we were on said that Voyager would not be coming back to Galveston in the winter of 2011, that it would be permanently stationed in Europe.

And hence we are doing the Liberty TA and returning to Florida.....

On the bright side at least the diamond members have access to a regular concierge lounge on the Liberty, right?

I doubt Freedom would leave Port Canaveral since she is part of the seven day "Way More Than a Cruise" package in conjunction with Universal Orlando. If they wanted to keep offering that seven day package they'd have to move another ship to Port Canaveral. Granted I don't know how popular that package is and whether they'll continue to offer it. :cool:

Maybe they will move the Oasis or Allure to that port to continue those sailings and offer that package.

Maybe they will move the Oasis or Allure to that port to continue those sailings and offer that package.

Maybe, but I believe they'd have to dredge the channel for that happen. Monarch has a 26' draft and Capt Karin remarked that there was one point in the channel at Port Canaveral where there was only 4 feet under keel. Freedom has a 28' draft, so she's even tighter, but Oasis and Allure have a 30' draft, so probably too shallow for them. :eek:

Maybe, but I believe they'd have to dredge the channel for that happen. Monarch has a 26' draft and Capt Karin remarked that there was one point in the channel at Port Canaveral where there was only 4 feet under keel. Freedom has a 28' draft, so she's even tighter, but Oasis and Allure have a 30' draft, so probably too shallow for them. :eek:

Funny you mention dredging.... we observed they are in the process of dredging the channel servicing the Galveston cruise pier now... =)

If it is true that the Voyager will not return after 2011 than my guess is they will move one of their ships from Ft. Lauderdale--like the Navigator or the Independence. I read that RCCL made a deal with Ft. Lauderdale--that if Ft. Lauderdale would build a new cruise terminal than RCCL would sail both the Oasis and Allure out of that port.

According to the RCCL web site, the Freedom class of ships actually have a draft of 28' versus 29' for the Voyager. I would think the biggest problem would be the fact that the Freedom class is 92 feet longer than the Voyager and considering Capt Frank said he only has 30' of clearance in the turning basin--I would think the biggest problem would be turning the ship around.

Considering the Voyager almost always sails full out of Galveston, why would they not have a ship at all--here is hoping they opt for a full time ship in Galveston!!

They had to build a special terminal to handle the Oasis and Allure. No other ports can handle either of those ships without a great expense of building new or enlarging and modernizing terminals to handle up to 12800 passengers embarking and debarking at the same time. Don't look for either ship to be moving anytime soon.

Archived