Oasis eastern carribean

We love to just go off on our own and make a day trip that isn't planned. There are so many things to see that a guided tour just does not include!!!

These ports are very safe to explore on your own, you will see more things and not be hearded around like cattle... Grab a taxi and head up into the hills, the view is one of a kind...

Just have a great time and explore everything... Have A Drink For Me!!!:D

If you guys like beaches, I recommend Magens Bay in St. Thomas and Orient Beach in St. Martin. Also check the ports of call boards for more specific ideas. (St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Nassau each have their own message board.)

Erica

thanks for the suggestion. Is it easy to get a taxi??

When I went to St. Thomas and St. Martin three years ago, we were on ship excursions to Magens Bay and Orient Beach, so Royal Caribbean provided transportation and we didn't have to worry about taxis. However, the time allotted at each beach is somewhat limited when you go on a ship excursion (I think we had about 2-3 hours at each), so this year we're going to go on our own so we can set our own schedule and stay as long as we want. In preparation for this, I've done a lot of reading here on Cruise Critic, and it seems like it'll be easy to get a taxi or bus at each port and at each beach to get back to the ship. Just be aware that traffic will probably be pretty crazy, so when you're at the beach, give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship before it leaves. It also seems like there are lots of ships in port on days when Oasis is at each of these islands, so the beaches themselves will probably be fairly crowded. Overall, though, I definitely recommend Magens Bay and Orient Beach, especially since you've got three young twentysomethings with you. I was 24 when I was there, and we had a blast.

Erica

We did the America's Cup Race in St. Maarten, and it was a blast! They use actual America's Cup racing sailboats on a shortened course. Everyone has a job, I was a "grinder" who, on direction of the Captain, you grind a winch that moves the sails from one position to another. There are low activity jobs as well such as releasing a rope from a hold position, etc. There even was a position of a beer server for after the race, or you can just go along for the ride.

You sail against other America's Cup racers. During the race, the boat “pushes over” and the side is very close to the water, and everyone is moved to the “high side” to balance it out. Several times, when we “tacked” (changed directions) we came extremely close to the other racers. Coming up to the finish line you are neck and neck with the completion and everyone is yelling, cheering, and screaming for their boats. When you are sailing out to the racecourse, a speedboat comes up behind you and takes a group picture of your boat, which was a very cool souvenir (at a cost) for the family.

Your kids, and you, would love it.

Bob

Archived