Can someone give me some advice on ES?

w8ing2cruz

I've never used early saver - ususally book aft cabins and pick my own but a group of us girls are looking to cruise in October - many have never cruised - and I'm wondering if this would be a good way to go. We'd like to be near each other but with early saver isn't it better to just book a category? Also - we probably need to know who is in which cabin with who at the time of booking, correct?

Thanks - any other advice for booking for a group of girls would be greatly appreciated. Some are thinking a shorter cruise would be better but I think I have them convinced that a seven day is best. By the time we pay airfare to FL and the fact that shorter cruises usually only go to Bahamas, weather, swine flu, etc. Any other compelling reasons?

You book your specific room with early saver. I've had a good experience with it, saved over 100 bucks on my upcoming cruise and still have the chance to save more. You just need to keep track of the prices, carnival won't do that for you.

ES is the way to go so long as there is no chance you'll want to change sailings and everyone is committed to going. Once you book with ES, you cannot get a refund. You can rebook on another sailing for a $50 per person penalty. Also the bookings are non-transferrable, so Person A can't cancel and have Person B take their place.

Beyond that, it's usually the cheapest option. The ES rates go away 5 months from the sailing if it's a 7 day cruise, or 3 months for shorter sailings. And, up to 2 days before you sail, if you see the price cheaper than what you paid you can get a credit adjustment, but it's up to you to monitor this and file for the credit on their website.

This is our first cruise.....we booked ES and it has just gotten past the time that Carnival pulls the ES off of the site. I'm checking out various places ( not likely for it to drop until very close in......late summer cruise) but how do I compare it? Do I go against what is out there now for the price with same # of people, cruise room level etc. and if it should go lower submit my claim?

Thanks!

.....that I think people get Early Saver and Fun Saver mixed up.

Fun Saver rate guarantees you a stateroom within that stateroom class: Suite, balcony, oceanview, or inside. You

will receive your stateroom assignment when you check in for your cruise, and your stateroom may be located on any deck of the ship.

Early Saver rates will require a non-refundable deposit at time of booking. Click here for terms and conditions.

wasiii

This is our first cruise.....we booked ES and it has just gotten past the time that Carnival pulls the ES off of the site. I'm checking out various places ( not likely for it to drop until very close in......late summer cruise) but how do I compare it? Do I go against what is out there now for the price with same # of people, cruise room level etc. and if it should go lower submit my claim?

Thanks!

With ES you can price match any other type of rate that you qualify for. Military, over 55, resident, fun select, past guest etc.

You can't price match fun saver since it's a guarantee and you don't pick your room.

We usually book ES....but this year I booked on-sale prices because I wanted to make sure we got a certain room (two rooms: connecting balcony and inside room.....not alot available on the Spirit class ships). Our daughter's boyfriend came with us last year, and he wants to go again next year.....she's 16 and he's 18......who knows if they'll be together or not.....so I've booked the two rooms (boys room/girls room) and will change to ES 5 months before the cruise. That way if I have to cancel or change the reservation I don't have to worry. If they're not available as ES.....oh well......(I already know the inside room is not availalble for ES.....but the balcony is 8J.....and still is ES.)

We got upgraded and got about $700 in OBC last year with ES. This time we won't earn OBC since our category is pretty much sold out but it saved us around $50 booking with it.

So maybe an idea is to book a category that wouldn't sell out? Like the aft cabins are now all 8N and 8M's. We'd be better off booking an 8B or 8C? Am I thinking along the right lines?

With ES you have to pick your stateroom, so you would know where everyone was located. Personally, I would not risk booking ES with a bunch of girlfriends - I think you're just asking for trouble.

However, I think you could get a nice rate using Fun Saver. I'd recommend that you all book using the same agent or all direct with Carnival; then have your ressie's linked and make sure to note you want to be near each other. We did a Fun Saver rate for a girlfriends getaway a few years ago and were in cabins all in a row. No worries at all.

Good luck!

The best thing about es is that you get a reduction of prices up to two days before you cruise. So even though we were past the final payment date we just saved $460 in onboard credits! We sail in 3 and a half weeks and I can't wait!

If you are sure about the date you want to go then I would definitely go for it! We saved a lot of money and I plan to do it again.

Archived