The Coral, The Panama Canal and LA - An Aussie viewpoint!

Eileen, your review is AMAZING.

I now know that the Panama is a MUST DO!!! I've recently been bumped from the Star Princess in March 2011 (it's been re-deployed), so this itinerary may be the way to go. I really want to see Mexico - your pictures told a thousand words.

Thank you so much also, for putting forward a typically Aussie point of view re tipping & taxes. Like you, I will always try to do as the Romans do, but often feel uncomfortable/awkward and constantly worry that I haven't got it right!!! Glad to see it's not just me!!

I'm going to bookmark this thread for future reference - so-o-o-o much really good info - thanks again.

PS STKI Tanya & Kevin : we MUST catch up before you leave

I was born in the USA and a dual citizen USA/AUS but I much prefer our "no tipping" style so I know where you're coming from. We tend to get a lot of fast food or takeaway in the USA anyways and we use the auto-tipping on the cruise. If we go to Denny's or Sonny's BBQ type places, I add the tip on the credit card receipt, makes it feel less like "tipping" but the waiter still gets paid.

Loved your review, I found it while researching our Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise next year. We will be just steps away from the "secret" deck on Baja in an inside cabin, I call it the "poor people's balcony"!

I was born in the USA and a dual citizen USA/AUS but I much prefer our "no tipping" style so I know where you're coming from. We tend to get a lot of fast food or takeaway in the USA anyways and we use the auto-tipping on the cruise. If we go to Denny's or Sonny's BBQ type places, I add the tip on the credit card receipt, makes it feel less like "tipping" but the waiter still gets paid.

Loved your review, I found it while researching our Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise next year. We will be just steps away from the "secret" deck on Baja in an inside cabin, I call it the "poor people's balcony"!

Have a great cruise on the Coral. We really liked this ship and the crew is fantastic. We are back in your neck of the woods in 12 days, love our trip in Feb so much we decided to go back again this year. Besides the Aussie dollar is above parity at the moment... fantastic!!!:D

Eileen!

I enjoyed your review very much!

We have traveled all over the world but I must say that given the chance I would move to the Gold Coast of your lovely country in a heart beat! We stayed at the Legends hotel in Surfers Paradise several years ago and were captivated by the wonderful people and the beautiful beaches!

Now vegimite? That is a horse of a different color!:D But hey - with enough Fosters even that could be good!:D

Hope to meet you on a cruise one day! Our next planned one is Sept 2011 to Alaska, but who knows what will happen meantime?:)

Eileen,

Thanks so much for telling your story. My wife and I (and the two teenage kids) are doing the same cruise in about 4 weeks on the Coral (15 Dec over Christmas). It was really good to get an Aussies point of view. Loved the pics too....

I noticed you travelled with Stu and Linda from NY - we travelled with them on the Med on our first cruise - and did a tour with then - and had dinner at Sabatinis - Stu and I had a few too many!!! They're very nice people. Linda and Stu, if you're reading this thread - hi there from Mike and Teresa.

Cheers

Mike

Denny's! YUK!! :eek:

Eileen,

Thanks so much for telling your story. My wife and I (and the two teenage kids) are doing the same cruise in about 4 weeks on the Coral (15 Dec over Christmas). It was really good to get an Aussies point of view. Loved the pics too....

I noticed you travelled with Stu and Linda from NY - we travelled with them on the Med on our first cruise - and did a tour with then - and had dinner at Sabatinis - Stu and I had a few too many!!! They're very nice people. Linda and Stu, if you're reading this thread - hi there from Mike and Teresa.

Cheers

Mike

Linda and Stu have turned into good friends, we talk online all the time and Stu is coming down to FLL and meeting us for lunch the day before we cruise next in 11 days. Can't wait to see him again, shame Linda can't make it though!

Enjoy your cruise, we had the best time!

Eileen!

I enjoyed your review very much!

We have traveled all over the world but I must say that given the chance I would move to the Gold Coast of your lovely country in a heart beat! We stayed at the Legends hotel in Surfers Paradise several years ago and were captivated by the wonderful people and the beautiful beaches!

Now vegimite? That is a horse of a different color!:D But hey - with enough Fosters even that could be good!:D

Hope to meet you on a cruise one day! Our next planned one is Sept 2011 to Alaska, but who knows what will happen meantime?:)

Thanks for your kind words regarding our lovely country! We live on the Sunshine Coast about an hours drive north of Brisbane. We like here much better than the Gold Coast, did you manage to make it up here? Next time visit us up here LOL!

Vegemite is an acquired taste, one that most Aussies grow up with, much like your peanut butter and jelly (hmmm, we won't go there!) Did you try our tim tams though? I have converted quite a few americans and canadians to our humble but yummy biscuit treat! :D

After Mitejoel (Mike) emailed me, I went back and re-read this thread. Guess I was no longer getting notificitions when someone wrote on it. It was great to read the thread again. Seeing the pics again brought back great memories of the great cruise and even more than that, the wonderful people we met.

Linda

Sorry' date=' mountains! We have mountains in Australia too but there is only one that gets covered in snow. Mt Kosciusko in NSW near the Victorian border. California is supposed to have the same temperature range as where we come from so it was a bit of a shock to find snow on your mountains and the temperature sooooo cold.[/quote']

Sorry we can't control the weather for you. Weather is kind of funny; has

surprises for all of us sometimes.

Archived