LAX metrorail to Long Beach

guntheros

Has anyone ever used the metro rail to get from LAX to Long Beach before/after their cruise? Are there any hotels near the Long Beach metro rail stop? Is it a bad idea to try and get on with our luggage? We will each have 1 suitcase. How far from the cruise port is the metro rail? Any other thoughts?

Has anyone ever used the metro rail to get from LAX to Long Beach before/after their cruise? Are there any hotels near the Long Beach metro rail stop? Is it a bad idea to try and get on with our luggage? We will each have 1 suitcase. How far from the cruise port is the metro rail? Any other thoughts?

Nicole, it's just a bad idea. period.

Metro isn't designed to make this trip...

Metro rail does not have a line that goes from LAX to Long Beach...

They take you by bus WAY OUT OF THE WAY to Union Station north of downtown...There, you will switch to the MTA line that goes through all of the worst neighborhoods of LA...and you will finally reach the Long Beach end of the line some interminable time later...and then you'll need transportation to a decent hotel...

Take one of the Shuttle services (Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle are the biggest)...They will take you directly from your terminal at LAX to your hotel in Long Beach...You'll save an hour or two, lots of stress, any need to hassle with your luggage and more...and it really isn't all that much more expensive...

In Long Beach (I assume you are cruising on Carnival?), stay in one of these hotels:

My top list: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia

Just behind those: Hilton, Courtyard, Residence Inn Downtown, Maya

Do yourself a favor...do not stay ANYWHERE else in Long Beach...

If you are adept at price line, you can get one of the top tier relatively cheap...

If not, Hilton has a very reasonable "Carnival Rate"...

These, by the way, make up the desirable and convenient area of Long Beach...close to shops and restaurants, to the pier and to the FREE Passport Shuttle, nice area to walk in, near the attractions: Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, the Pike, etc.

Have fun...

I've taken the Metro to Long Beach right to Ocean Blvd. I believe it was a Marriott. You need to take a bus to the station at airport. Up stairs onto train. You do need to change trains in Compton which was ok but you may not feel comfortable. Like any light rail there are stairs, wierd people etc etc. I thought it was a great deal but most people spoke spanish so it was hard to figure out where to change trains.

A little more detail on the route davidmg pointed out. LAX Shuttle bus from LAX terminal(s) to the Green Line station at Aviation Blvd & Imperial Hwy which is mile or two away from the airport terminals proper, then the Green Line to the Imperial/Wilmington station and transfer to the Blue Line southbound to Long Beach. The Imperial/Wilmington station is in the Willowbrook district, which is between Watts and Compton. It is not the nicest area ("Straight Outta Compton"), as davidmg and Bruin Steve have already pointed out. Not sure I'd do it with luggage and the obvious trappings of a tourist, but not sure I wouldn't, either.

No need at all to go to downtown LA by bus. The route is direct, pretty much due east to the Blue Line, then due south to Long Beach, but it does involve transfers between the LAX Shuttle bus (free), the Green Line, and the Blue Line.

Nicole, it is not a bad idea. In fact, it's a great idea. Not quite sure what Bruin Steve is talking about but there is a Green Line station at LAX and that will take you to the Blue Line. Both are rails. When you get off the Green Line, go downstairs to the Blue Line south which ends in Long Beach (north takes you to Union Station downtown LA). From there I just learned there is a free shuttle that will take you to the Queen Mary from where you want to get off called Transit Mall. And your suitcase is not a problem. I ride the subway all the time and you will be just fine. It's 15min from the LAX Green Line to the Blue Line and about 30 minutes from there to Long Beach and will cost you a total of $2.50. I live in Studio City and will be taking the subway when I cruise at the end of April. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps!

here is a map of the subway

http://metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rail_map.pdf

here are the time tables. scroll down to Metro Rail Service

http://www.metro.net/around/maps/

...Not quite sure what Bruin Steve is talking about but there is a Green Line station at LAX...

Yeah...Mea Culpa...I forgot they added that line down the 105 Freeway...

STILL...No way in H*LL I would ever recommend it to a tourist...

You really want to wait around with your luggage to change trains in Watts?

A shuttle from LAX to the Long Beach Hilton (or other area hotels) is $32 for two:

https://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res

You get picked up right at the terminal...and dropped off right at the hotel...the whole trip takes maybe 30-40 minutes...You don't even have to lift your luggage on or off the van...You get dropped off RIGHT at your hotel...no changes, no transfers, no waiting in bad neighborhoods...Choose your hotel based on factors other than how you get there from a rail depot...

Do you realize the Metro Station at LAX is nowhere near the terminals? You need to catch a shuttle bus to the station at Aviation and the 105 Freeway, South of the airport...

Then you're taking your luggage off that shuttle and onto the Green Line, taking it off again at WATTS, back on Blue Line and down to the Passport Station at Pine and First in Long Beach...Then, depending on where you are staying, either walking to a hotel ...or jumping on the Passport Shuttle to a stop close to your hotel and walking from there...

So WHY do you want to take public transit? To save about $25? It would be the best $25 you could spend...Lack of stress, ease of mind, convenience...

My two cents here:

You can take the Green Line to the Blue Line to get to Long Beach:

To get from LAX to the Aviation station you need to get on their (metrorail) LAX shuttle that runs every 15 minutes or so from the airport to the metrorail (greenline) Aviation station. Once at the Green line -Aviation station the trains run every 6-10 minutes (or so) depending on time of day. They are relatively fast, relatively clean, and safe.

I do see occasionally people going to and from the airport with luggage on the Green line. Many airport workers use the Green line and the LAX shuttle rather than trying to park at the airport so you won't be alone.

To go to Long Beach you would transfer to the Blue line at the Imperial/Wilmington station. can't help you with what's at the end of the Long Beach line as I have never been there.

regarding going through poor neighborhoods - yes it's true. You get a mix of working poor people and people (like me) who work somewhere and don't want to drive everyday. If sitting near working-poor people or poor people in general freaks you out then take another transport option.

I have never seen any crime on the trains. They have train security that patrols the trains.

greenmap.gif

The trains look like this:

grntrain.gif

I've taken the Metro to Long Beach right to Ocean Blvd. I believe it was a Marriott. You need to take a bus to the station at airport. Up stairs onto train. You do need to change trains in Compton which was ok but you may not feel comfortable. Like any light rail there are stairs, wierd people etc etc. I thought it was a great deal but most people spoke spanish so it was hard to figure out where to change trains.

IIRC the Station 'floats' about 40 feet up in the air. The staircase is a straight run, must have at least 200 steps. Wouldn't want to do it with luggage. There is an elevator, but..................

I think you may have seen one too many movies out there in Calabassas Steve. It nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. The neighborhood isn't the best but the station is fine. No one is going to shank you or jack your shoes if that's what you're worried about. I've been there a few times late at night and always see people coming from LAX with luggage and what not. Metro does a great job and keeping the stations secure. Just don't leave the station and you'll be fine. On the other hand $32 is a pretty good price for two to get from LAX to Long Beach. That and Steve will be able to sleep at night knowing you did so.

Thanks to everyone for all your opinions and thoughts. I will weigh them out and see what will work. I do think I am leaning towards a shuttle now though. Again, really appreciate all the posts!

I would agree with Steve. If you're going to be bothering with a shuttle anyway to get to the Metro station, why not just get a Supershuttle or other shuttle van right at the airport to get to your hotel. Rather than schleping luggage off and on a vehicle.

Below is a link on how someone used the public transit system to get from LAX to the Carnival Cruise Line port for 14 people! She felt that the money they saved was more than worth the 1.5 hours it took.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32648-i340-k3286968-LAX_to_Long_beach_cruise_ship_terminal-Long_Beach_California.html

Did the OP ever say where the trip was to start? For some reason, I thought it was downtown at the train station rather than LAX. I have taken the Blue Line several times to meet my husband when he worked in downtown LA. Yes--it does go through some of the poorer neighborhoods in LA. My biggest irritation is that it is really a glorified BUS--not elevated, on the streets with all of the signals through much of its travels. In fact, it pretty much follows the old Red Car line from downtown Long Beach to downtown Los Angeles.

Below is a link on how someone used the public transit system to get from LAX to the Carnival Cruise Line port for 14 people! She felt that the money they saved was more than worth the 1.5 hours it took.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32648-i340-k3286968-LAX_to_Long_beach_cruise_ship_terminal-Long_Beach_California.html

Did the OP ever say where the trip was to start? For some reason, I thought it was downtown at the train station rather than LAX. I have taken the Blue Line several times to meet my husband when he worked in downtown LA. Yes--it does go through some of the poorer neighborhoods in LA. My biggest irritation is that it is really a glorified BUS--not elevated, on the streets with all of the signals through much of its travels. In fact, it pretty much follows the old Red Car line from downtown Long Beach to downtown Los Angeles.

That's another aspect: if you have limited time in LA, do you really want to be spending more than an hour to get to Long Beach (as well as the time waiting for the shuttle, and then the train). Unless the freeway is really backed up, it shouldn't take a shuttle service that long to get to your hotel.

I am not afraid of the metro, but after thinking about hauling our luggage on/off different rails and getting from rail to our hotel, I think we will take a shuttle. My SIL did some checking of her own and this is what she told me...

"Upon further digging, I would say the Metro Rail doesn’t sound too safe. I just called the LA County Tourism and they said that it “should be safe” during the day and that thousands and thousands use it each day, HOWEVER they do not recommend we as tourists use it at dusk or at night?!?!? I told her we would probably avoid that then and she said “ that might be best”?!?!?!???!? GREAT TOURISM advice….eeekkkks"

So, I don't think we're wrong going with the shuttle. It'll be much simpler and we won't have to worry about it.

I don't know if it has been changed yet, but you don't need a ticket to get on board. Every so often a sheriff or transit officer comes on board and checks tickets--so in the front door comes the sheriff, out the back door goes the homeless and others that ride around for hours to have place to hang out.

I think it would be fine during the daylight--but I would not want to haul my luggage on and off and on and off--unless it was a small rollaboard.

Pat

A friend has commuted on the green line for 5+ years from the east end to the LAX area. Occasionally he uses the blue line to visit their Long Beach office. He said it's no problem at day (just hide your expensive watch, don't carry a designer purse, etc). But he'd personally never do the trip after dark- and he works in law enforcement so he's fairly tuned in.

My friend mentioned you have to be mobile with your luggage. Be able to get on and off the train quickly. The other thing is he's been severely delayed 3 times...due to a breakdown, hitting a pedestrian, and hitting a car. Buses were called in to run the route but he was a few hours late after the two accidents. Pretty rare, especially since they've been improving crossing safety...but leave some wiggle room in your schedule.

• 5 weeks later...

If you do a quick search you'll find this topic was touched on about four months ago. My contribution at that time was as follows:

"If you're single-baggers like we are, Metro Rail from LAX to LB takes about an hour, it's fun, scenic, you meet interesting people, and it's 2.50 each. As for getting off at the wrong stop - LB is the end of the line".

(We also used public transportation from Newark to Red Hook terminal - so LAX-LGB didn't seem like a big deal!)

Archived