Oslo - public transit pass

I understand that the Transit Pass for 24 hours costs 70 NOK if I buy it in advance from a ticket machine or from a convenience store (ie 7-11).

My question is, does the Transit Pass cover Tram, Bus and Subway? Does it also cover a ferry trip from Bygdoy back to Radhus (City Hall)? Or is the fare to the ferry separate? If so, what is the cost of the ferry trip? Or, what would be the best way to get from the Viking Ship Museum back to the cruise ship pier?

If I don't do the 24 hour Transit Pass, and just buy one-way tickets could I hop on tram #12 from Aker Brygge to Vigelands Park, do the park quickly, and then use the same one way ticket (within the 90 minute allotment) to get on bus #20, transfer to bus #30 and get out to the Viking Ship Museum? Then buy a second one way ticket to get from the Viking Ship Museum back to the Radhus via public transportation?

Thank you!

I understand that the Transit Pass for 24 hours costs 70 NOK if I buy it in advance from a ticket machine or from a convenience store (ie 7-11).

My question is, does the Transit Pass cover Tram, Bus and Subway? Does it also cover a ferry trip from Bygdoy back to Radhus (City Hall)? Or is the fare to the ferry separate? If so, what is the cost of the ferry trip? Or, what would be the best way to get from the Viking Ship Museum back to the cruise ship pier?

If I don't do the 24 hour Transit Pass, and just buy one-way tickets could I hop on tram #12 from Aker Brygge to Vigelands Park, do the park quickly, and then use the same one way ticket (within the 90 minute allotment) to get on bus #20, transfer to bus #30 and get out to the Viking Ship Museum? Then buy a second one way ticket to get from the Viking Ship Museum back to the Radhus via public transportation?

Thank you!

Hi!

It's much easier to buy the all day pass than to do the two seperate ticket thing. You have much more flexibility. The pass covers trams, busses, trains, subway and the Bygdoy ferries in both directions. Remember, you can also buy the pass with NOK, US$, € or even Credit Cards from the Tourist Info desk in the Cruise Ship terminal beside the Akerhus dock. If you are 67 or over you might also want to check out the Oslo Card that gives you all the transportation plus free entry into many museums. This is one time it's good to be a senior because the Pass is half price, plus there is usually a 10 to 20% discount when you buy it at the dockside terminal.

The transit pass covers all public transportation within Oslo. That includes tram, bus, subway, and ferries. Purchased on its own, a ferry ticket costs the same as any other ticket - 40 NOK if purchased on board (26 if purchased in advance).

I wouldn't recommend trying to fit Vigelands Park into a single trip ticket, because the validity period is only 1 hour from when you first stamp it (when you board the Tram #12), which wouldn't give you much time.

The transit pass covers all public transportation within Oslo. That includes tram, bus, subway, and ferries. Purchased on its own, a ferry ticket costs the same as any other ticket - 40 NOK if purchased on board (26 if purchased in advance).

I wouldn't recommend trying to fit Vigelands Park into a single trip ticket, because the validity period is only 1 hour from when you first stamp it (when you board the Tram #12), which wouldn't give you much time.

Good advise. Could you elaborate on 'first stamp it when you board the tram'? In other words, you buy the pass or ticket at the information booth. Then when you step onto the tram (or bus, or ferry) is there a machine you have insert the ticket or pass into to get it stamped, or does the conductor do that?

Then if you have to transfer or use the same ticket within an hour, does the machine know if the time has expired or not? And will it tell you that you have to use a new ticket?

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get from Aker Brygge to Vinelands Park on the tram #12.

Also, I heard that at the end of tram #12 route you can take tram #11 back to Stortornet and the Cathedral, is this true? If so, do you actually get off of tram 12 or does it just become tram #11?

Thank you.

Could someone explain the difference b/w the pass and the card? Mainly what is included in the one and not the other.

2 adults 2 seniors

Want to use the ferry over to the tram museum etc, see downtown, and take the bus back the pier.

Not sure which pier. DCL June 12th sailing

Thanks,

Heidi

Could someone explain the difference b/w the pass and the card? Mainly what is included in the one and not the other.

2 adults 2 seniors

Want to use the ferry over to the tram museum etc, see downtown, and take the bus back the pier.

Thanks,

Heidi

Perhaps the following web site about public transportation in Oslo might help http://www.visitoslo.com/en/ticket-prices-for-public-transportation-in-oslo.57899.182075rda2.tlp.html

Note a ways down the 24 hour pass for 70 Kr. or 35 if you are over 67 years old ($11 and $5.50 roughtly). This pass is for trams, busses, ferry and Metro. It should not be confused with the 'Oslo Pass' which also includes entrance fees. It costs a lot more.

Could you elaborate on 'first stamp it when you board the tram'? In other words, you buy the pass or ticket at the information booth. Then when you step onto the tram (or bus, or ferry) is there a machine you have insert the ticket or pass into to get it stamped, or does the conductor do that?

Then if you have to transfer or use the same ticket within an hour, does the machine know if the time has expired or not? And will it tell you that you have to use a new ticket?

If you buy your ticket or pass in advance (from the tourist information, a convenience store, or a ticket machine), you need to validate it the first time you use it. That's what starts the validity period (1 hour for a normal ticket, or 24 hours for a day pass). When you board a tram or bus, there will be a yellow or orange box near the door. Insert the end of the ticket, and it will be stamped with the time & date. (The ticket/pass is not valid until it has been stamped.) At subway stations, there are yellow stamping boxes near the gates (which are always open, because the electronic ticketing is not in full use yet). On ferries (and some smaller buses) the conductor or driver will stamp your ticket by hand.

Once the ticket is stamped, you do not need to stamp it again. On the ferry, the conductor will come around, and you can just show your stamped pass. Otherwise, ticket control is handled by random ticket checks by the transit authority.

Quick question. If I am at the Viking Ship Museum, how do I find the ferry to get back to the Radhus?

When you leave the Viking Ship Museum, turn left and walk down Huk Aveny. The Dronningen ferry pier is at the end of the street (about 3-4 blocks). Here are the directions. You can use Google street view to see what the area looks like. (Note that the ferry will make one stop at Bygdøynes near the Kon-Tiki and Fram museums before crossing the fjord back to the Rådhus.)

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get from Aker Brygge to Vinelands Park on the tram #12.

Also, I heard that at the end of tram #12 route you can take tram #11 back to Stortornet and the Cathedral, is this true? If so, do you actually get off of tram 12 or does it just become tram #11?

The tram takes about 8 minutes to reach Vigelands Park from Aker Brygge (depending on traffic).The line 12 ends at Majorstuen, which is 2 stops past Vigelands Park. The #12 does usually turn into the #11, though there may be a short (~5 minutes) wait depending on the schedule. The #11 from Majorstuen to Stortorvet takes around 15 minutes.

You can also take the bus #20 from Vigelands Park to Majorstuen (or walk, which takes about 10 minutes). At Majorstuen, there is also a subway station (T-bane), and any of the trains headed downtown will stop at Stortinget, near the cathedral. The trip takes about 4 minutes.

2 adults 2 seniors

So, if I buy the Oslo pass I have ferry, bus, etc and listed museums for free entrance. No other "pass/card" needed. Right?

Disney Magic is calling at Akershuskaia, which is the pier closest to downtown, right alongside Akershus Fortress (in front of the city hall).

The OsloPass covers all of the transportation and the museum admissions. However, whether it's worth it depends on what you want to see. If you only visit the Fram Museum, it's cheaper to just buy a 24-hour unlimited transit pass (70 NOK for adults, 35 NOK for seniors) and just pay the Fram museum admission (60 NOK for adults, 25 NOK for seniors). The OsloPass costs 230 NOK for adults, and 100 NOK for seniors, so especially for the two adults, the OsloPass costs quite a bit more. If you plan to visit more of the museums at Bygdøy (the Viking Ships, open-air Folk Museum, Kon-Tiki Museum), it could be worth paying extra for the OsloPass.

The OsloPass covers all of the transportation and the museum admissions. However, whether it's worth it depends on what you want to see. If you only visit the Fram Museum, it's cheaper to just buy a 24-hour unlimited transit pass (70 NOK for adults, 35 NOK for seniors) and just pay the Fram museum admission (60 NOK for adults, 25 NOK for seniors). The OsloPass costs 230 NOK for adults, and 100 NOK for seniors, so especially for the two adults, the OsloPass costs quite a bit more. If you plan to visit more of the museums at Bygdøy (the Viking Ships, open-air Folk Museum, Kon-Tiki Museum), it could be worth paying extra for the OsloPass.

Thanks again Kaisatsu.

I looked into the Oslo Pass versus 'doing-it-on-our-own' with the transit pass and found it to be a toss up if we want to only visit the Viking Ship Museum and Akershus. Add another museum such as the Kon Tiki then it saves you a few bucks.

But to me it is not worth it since we may change our mind when we get there. Here is the way it came out for us (seniors 67+):

Oslo Pass 100 NOK

Transit pass 35 NOK

Viking Museum 40 NOK perhaps 20 for seniors

Akershus entrance 40 NOK perhaps 20 for seniors.

Total 115 NOK or 75 NOK if you go solo in Oslo.

Just as you said, it is really a toss up depending on what you want to do.

We are looking forward to our visit to Oslo and again thanks for your advise.

When you leave the Viking Ship Museum, turn left and walk down Huk Aveny. The Dronningen ferry pier is at the end of the street (about 3-4 blocks). Here are the directions. You can use Google street view to see what the area looks like. (Note that the ferry will make one stop at Bygdøynes near the Kon-Tiki and Fram museums before crossing the fjord back to the Rådhus.)

Thank you!

This has been extremely helpful!

Archived