Carnival Excursion CHANKANAAB in Cozumel?

floridian1

Has anyone done the Carnival excursion in Cozumel called CHANKANAAB MARINE PARK & MEXICO'S MAGIC? We are going to have a 2 year old in our group and I was hoping this would be something he would be able to enjoy, but there is not much info on Chankanaab's website.

Is this excursion good for little kids? Is there a swimming area or pool for them?

Any tips from those who have been?

Is there any websites with good photos?

We were just at Chankanaab last week, although the weather was cold, windy, and rainy, it did not deter my sons age 6 & 8. There is a small sort of lagoon area where children can wade in, it is also right next to a play structure as well. There is a pool, but I have hear that it is for people doing the dolphin programs or there is an additional cost. We did not check it out because of the weather. It seems like a beautiful facility, we did not stick around too long because of the weather.

We only did Chankanaab so we just took a taxi from the port and paid the entrance fee.

I do have a couple of pictures of the lagoon if you want I can email you (you can email me a kputman at yahoo dot com). I don't think I could figure out how to post them here LOL!

I really liked Chakanaab. I will confess I did not do the excursion. We hopped off of the ship and took a taxi to the site. We saved a lot of money doing it this way. We had a wonderful day!! (Which is saying a lot since I hate Cozumel :)) The facilities are clean and very well maintained. The majority of the beach area is not a typical beach. It does have a "sea" wall and you have to climb a ladder or steps to get into the ocean. BUT there is a wide expanse of sand with lots of lounge chairs and plenty of space. There is a section with a "true beach" with the zero depth entry into the ocean. (I hope that makes sense) It was mainly used by those with small children. The pools there are very nice!! You can also purchase sodas, snacks etc. Even if you are not swimming with the dolphins you can see the dolphins! Also if you decide to go on your own there are even coupons on the website!

Chankanaab is one of my favorite places. Years ago, I recieved my SCUBA certification at Chankanaab, and while the reef around Chankanaab has changed (destroyed by a Hurricane 6-7 years ago), there's still a lot offered there to keep a family occupied.

Firstly, the Dolphin Discovery is free for children under a certain height when an adult goes with them. It used to be under a certain age, but I suppose people cheated on that.

There is a freshwater pool next to the Dolphin Discovery, the little enclosed beach area (can be a little rocky), a playground, the snorkeling/scuba area, and gardens.

Iguanas can be found sunning themselves all around the park, you can observe other tourists interacting with the dolphins, there are beach loungers and cabanas scattered throughout the beach area.

There's a very good Mexican restaurant there as well as a burger place at the Dolphin Discovery. Taxi's are a flat fee from the port to the park and vice versa, so you don't have to worry about the drivers.

Try looking up information at:

dolphindiscovery dot com/cozumel

It's a nice destination.

Oh... looks like they have a manatee experience now, too!

behaviorsmanateeencount.jpg

cheaper than the dolphins.

Chankanaab had one of the best pools I have ever been in. I LOVED it. Lots of shallow places in the water for a toddler to play on and jump off of. Plus, you can see the dolphins do their thing from the docks. And then there is a little beach area with nice palapas and chairs. There is a small area where there is actually a beach entry, but the rest is rocky and wouldn't be to easy to do with a toddler. Lots of sand to play in though. And there is a little lagoon behind the beach with BEAUTIFUL water with gorgeous fish in it. One thing, your toddler will never lack things to see. The only hard part will be keeping him in one place so you can get some rest!

Here is a good search for excellent pictures: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Chankanaab&w=all

It looks like they have added some neat stuff since we were there too, including the manatees and a sea lion show. Makes me want to go back except we are already booked (and excited for!) for Nachi Cocom.

You will love Nachi. It is very peaceful. It is the Corona commerical. Chakanaab is a tourist destination. Both are great, just different. I love Cozumel and my favorite place there is Paison Island.

Let us know how it is for you and your family so that we may live vicariously through your experience.

It's been 2 years since we've been back to Chankunaab, and I really do enjoy that park.

Archived