Lindblad Beyond North Cape

My husband and I are doing Beyond the North Cape June 6th on the National Geographic Explorer. We are very excited about the educational aspects of this trip. We have done multiple North Cape Cruises on the bigger lines, but have never been with Linblad neither have we been to Svalbard.

I was wondering about dress on the ship: during the day? on excursions? in the evening?

Since we will have very long days due to the midnight sun, does Lindblad use the evenings for excursions? Is there anything to do on the ship in the evening, besides enjoy the passing scenery (not a complaint, just a question).

Are there places to sit outside on deck (deck chairs, etc) if you want to be outside rather than inside? (I know it will be cold, but fresh air always seems is better.)

Does Linblad provide parkas for passengers or do they provide their own?

Has anyone done the Spitsbergen/Svalbard portion of this trip? Would love to hear about your experiences.

Would love to hear from anyone else who will be on board with us.

Thanks and "Gut reiser i Norge!"

Oslofjord,

You made a wonderful choice! Lindblad is the best of the best. The Explorer is comfortable and easy to get around on. She is an expedition ship, so there is lots of outdoor space to roam with lounger chairs on the aft deck. The best thing is that the Bridge is open, so feel free to go up and talk with the captain and crew and get the best view ever!! You will find that you are outside a fair amount of the time...bird watching, Whale watching, Polar Bear Watching...

The dress code on board is casual...whatever that means to you. There will be people in jeans and track suits and others with put on a nice sweater and slacks for the evening. The last evening on board most "dress up", men in a tie ( possible a jacket) and women in a skirt or pants with a "nicer" top.

Lindblad will send you a packing list of the expedition wear that you will need. I did not receive a parka when I did this trip, but if the do, they will let you know. a couple of things, get a very good pair of WATERPROOF rain pants to wear over your regular pants (cords,jeans...) and make sure that your parka or shell is waterproof as well. the zodiacs are completely open and you are going to get, at least, your butt wet on the rides into shore! Remember to layer...the ride in could be cold, but once you start hiking you will get warmed up!

Spitzbergen/Svalbard is one of my favorite places...The Bears, Walrus, Whales and birds will leave you breathless...best part is you will have the best experts in the world explaining what you are seeing. I could tell you about my trip, but yours will be completely different, so I leave it a surprise!!

Oh, how I envy you...would love to back up and see my bears!!!

Cheers and Bon Voyage

Sara

I was wondering about dress on the ship: during the day? on excursions? in the evening? casual, casual, and casual, usually the same outfit. And do not be concerned with taking dressier clothes for the one last night, at least on our trip last July in the Land of the Ice Bears (and our January Antarctica trip) very few were dressier. Jeans, cords, khakis are the norm with fleece, sweaters, button up shirts, t-shirts.

Since we will have very long days due to the midnight sun, does Lindblad use the evenings for excursions? Everything is flexible depending on the weather, and how much time is spent at any one activity. The morning may start off with one plan, but 10 minutes later can change. If you spot whales or bears you could spend hours watching them and then need to adjust. The last excursion of our trip actually took place after dinner from about 8:30-11:30 pm to a beautiful island where we were able to walk around and see many walrus up close. The night could not have been more beautiful.

Is there anything to do on the ship in the evening, besides enjoy the passing scenery (not a complaint, just a question). That and socialize, occasionally an after dinner lecture. The open bridge is great to talk with the captain and crew, and they always appreciate the additional set of eyes searching for wildlife. The lounge is open until whenever. There is a piano in the Bistro that anyone is welcome to use and on our trip there were some good times.

Are there places to sit outside on deck (deck chairs, etc) if you want to be outside rather than inside? (I know it will be cold, but fresh air always seems is better.) Absolutely, many. Lounge chairs aft wellness deck, tables and chairs aft sun deck, and a bench on deck above the bridge.

Does Linblad provide parkas for passengers or do they provide their own? They did not provide for the Arctic trip.

Has anyone done the Spitsbergen/Svalbard portion of this trip? Would love to hear about your experiences. It was fantastic. We saw everything and more. Bears, whales, arctic fox, reindeer, numerous species of birds, beautiful ice, etc. Since we were there late July, we were able to circle the island.

Have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Travlingfool and Hobse,

Thank you so much for your detailed answers. You both confirmed what I have heard--that Lindblad, and especially with their staff of onboard experts, creates a wonderful experience for passengers. Also, it looks as if Lindblad's passengers are just about our kind of people, too--if your helpfulness and willingness to share your experiences are any indication.

Guess I'll leave the dresses at home and fill the suitcase with sweaters, jean and waterproof stuff. So glad there are lots of places to sit outside on deck, I love being close to the water. Last North Cape cruise we spent an entire night sitting in our deck chairs watching the fjords slide by and snoozing on and off.

Can't wait to see Svalbad, this has been a life-long dream--ever since first N. Cape at 15, a long time ago. I'm celebrating my 69th birthday on board this time! I love the idea that the cruise itinerary can be so flexible and that they are able to respond spontaneously to events. Glad to hear you both got to see bears and lots of other Artic flora and fauna. I'm so excited, we leave in less than 8 weeks!

Thanks again and happy traveling to wherever you are off to next! Enjoy life.

Oslofjord

• 1 month later...

I envy you - it is a great trip. We did it as part of a 28 day B2B last summer - it followed the British Isles voyage. I can't add much to the outstanding advice already given, except that in the course of 15 Lindblad trips, I cannot recall having seen a tie on a passenger!

Archived