2006 South America

GAJE

I am looking at the Jan. 11, 2006 South America and Antarctica Explorer Cruise. The fares are puzzling. B class (which is already closed -???) has a fare of 9,185 and the A class is 6,935. Two questions: Could the B verandah suites be sold out already this far in advance? Is an A verandah suite less expensive than a B???? It looks like it should be the other way around!

As always, any input will be appreciated! ( I have no idea why the type is now italized...what button did I accidently push?!

Betty

I am looking at the Jan. 11, 2006 South America and Antarctica Explorer Cruise. The fares are puzzling. B class (which is already closed -???) has a fare of 9,185 and the A class is 6,935. Two questions: Could the B verandah suites be sold out already this far in advance? Is an A verandah suite less expensive than a B???? It looks like it should be the other way around!

As always, any input will be appreciated! ( I have no idea why the type is now italized...what button did I accidently push?!

Betty

When a class is "sold out" the price listed does not reflect the discount that was in effect before. Check the discount price for the A and apply that to the B and you will see the B was originally lower than the A.

There are only a few B's compared to A's on the vessel. check deck plans.

It's a great itinerary.

I don't know why HAL does this to the pricing. Some have theorized that when a category is booked out that the pricing reverts to the full brochure price. However, I've seen some pricing appear for closed categories at over $100k. Go figure! Keep watching, as some of these categories may still open up. Once final payment time has come, the unsold cabins from the cabin blocks HAL allocates to the larger travel agencies have to be released. Also, a number of folks will hold reservations for two cruises, waiting until the last minute to decide which one they really want. So don't give up on a category just because it's currently showing as closed. Have your TA check for you around the date final payment is due.

GAJE, no matter what cabin you book---take this cruise! About three years ago right this very second my cruise from Rio to Valpariaso via Antarctica was at it's end. It remains the absolute best cruise I have ever taken---before or since.

I hope to repeat it someday, and if I have half as good a time it might still be the second best cruise ever! It was that good.

This is very curious.

I just went to the HAL website and for this cruise on Jan 11/06: Cat A & B are available for 7235.27 and 7085.27. Cat BC is closed but there are only 4 cabins on the Rotterdam that are BC. There are 60 Cat A and 48 Cat B.

I know that they CLOSE and make AVAILABLE cabins close to sailing time. I was once told that is to tidy up and 'pencil in' the guarantees. As suggested above get to your TA and book ASAP. I certainly would if I knew I could get away this time next year.

My sister and brother in law did the Christmas - New Year cruise Antarctic cruise this year on the Amsterdam. When they originally booked they paid around $6000US for a B category cabin.

About 4 months before they were due to leave the Suites prices dropped dramatically from over $15000US to $9000US. They upgraded to a Suite and consequently had a wonderful cruise with all the extras.

Sometimes these more expensive cabins are hard to sell and obviously HAL then sells them at a lower rate than normal.

Jennie

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This fare thing is bizarre. After reading last night on this board that for the Jan. 11, 2006 cruise A was available for 7235.27 and B was also available at 7085.27 (after being closed yesterday), I checked again today. Well, now A is 6935. 27 and B is 6785.27!!!!! What is going on????

Betty

Archived