Is it possible to get to Farmer's Market on day in LA?

Appygirl

I have never been to the Farmer's Market in LA though I've done just about every other touristy thing. I've spent a lot of time in Southern California, visiting friends and relatives all my life. We'll be in town from 7am to 4pm in mid May. I'm not sure where the Island Princess docks but I think its San Pedro. Is it possible to get to the Farmer's Market using public transportation? We're not ruling out renting a car for a few hours. I've spent a lot of time driving around LA, doesn't worry me at all. But practicality, what ifs. The worst traffic jam I've ever been in took me 7 hours to get from LAX to Santa Barbara, so I'm kind of leery about missing the boat and having to use that rental car to beat the ship back to Vancouver! Princess does show a 5 hour tour for $49pp that includes stopping at the Farmer's Market. I'm thinking about this excursion so I don't have to worry about a similar traffic jam. Failing that is there anything to see in the San Pedro area? Walking tours? I see the Big Red Cars are running when cruise ships are in port. Is that worth doing for the attractions around the port? Someone please tell me there's a Cheesecake Factory in the area and I'll hang out there all day! Thanks!

There is a Cheesecake Factory at the Grove, which is part of the Farmers Market.

I have lived here over 40 yrs and just went to the FM for the first time last month. It is worth the trip and I cant wait to go back.

I guess I would recommend the rental car, that way you can be more in control of your time. But there can be quite alot of traffic in the afternoon, so give twice as much time to get back to the ship as it did to get there.

I take it that this is just a port stop for you and you have to be back on the ship by 3:30 (they'll want you back on the ship at least an half hour before sailaway). If it's the embarkation port, you need to be at the port (yes, in San Pedro) much earlier than that. In this case, definitely consider the ship-sponsored tour, just in case there's traffic in the afternoon that causes a delay getting back on the ship. If you rent a car, it could be doable, but you'll need to figure in time to get the car (there's an Enterprise in San Pedro) and return it.

The $49 seems pretty reasonable for a city tour.

I wouldn't even try the public transportation option. You'll have to go through some rather dicey areas to go from San Pedro north to the Fairfax area (Farmers Market is at Third and Fairfax). And I imagine a very time consuming route (especially if there isn't an express).

Thanks for the responses. Its kind of what I figured, no easy way to get to the Farmer's Market. I don't have an overpowering urge to get there. Its just one place I haven't been. Yes, I think $49 is a decent price for a tour. If I'd never been to LA before I would definitely do it. I've done several city tours in LA on sightseeing buses, but mostly we explore on our own with our car because we drive down a lot. I'm thinking we'll probably just end up staying in the San Pedro area and do that heritage street car ride and visit the shops, hopefully find an Internet cafe.

Mation101 - nice avatar. We foster for a local dog rescue in Vancouver and 10 days ago 2 dogs came up from the Van Nuys shelter that were scheduled to be euthanized. One is an older female Dalmatian. Sweetest thing, very tiny, much smaller than Dals we've owned before. Looks like a Dalmatian rescue in Washington is wanting to take her so she'll probably only be with us for 2 more weeks. The other dog looks like he has a new home up here too, so a lot of volunteers got them to new lives.

Archived